PDA

View Full Version : Review of "The M1 Garand Rifle" by Canfield

JoeW2111
11-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Rather than hearing about the various venders and prices I would like to know readers view of the book. You could use the smilies if you don't want to write a review. :GS::SS::confused::mad::cry:

Roadkingtrax
11-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Great book. Lots of NEW info, as I appreciate the historical story of the production more than the collector nuances.

I think Duff has been officially dethroned, as the go-to book of M1 history...which was even lacking before. If I had to sum up Bruce's new book, its the 2013 version of Hatcher's Notebook of the Garand, with an appendix on collecting.

I like it!

Good Guy 176
11-21-2013, 09:52 PM
I've used Bruce's older version for several years and have found it extremely helpful, and I think this new one will be great, too.

mnhusker
11-22-2013, 05:41 AM
First,it's an incredibly heavy book which makes it harder to read casually which is too bad because this is a very fun book to read.
Like Bruce's other books it is very fun to read. Occasionally he bogs down in all the fresh detail never seen before from Winchester but, otherwise it flows very well.
It is filled with all we know about the M1 plus new information about Winchesters involvement that was not previously known. Told in story form, there is still a lot of technical data about the M1 but this book will not replace Duffs for parts lists or when things were made.
Winchester fans will like the more detailed born on dates in the appendix giving almost daily production dates for rifles.
Color pictures are fabulous.
He incorporates the impact of the Johnson rifle and Winchester semi automatic on Garand development: politicians were devious and came much closer to ending the M1 than we knew, and the Winchester people come off as "not very nice :)".

Without a doubt the best book about the M1 ever written, Bruce hit a home run here, but for collectors, you still need your Duff and Babcock books too.

John

twh1997
11-22-2013, 06:22 AM
Pages 1-49 have completely met my expectations I will let you know as I work through the rest. Even with the small part I have gone through I have found infornation regarding pre- developement facts I did not know or that I had read in seperate sources. Nice to have it all in one place.

Co2Chief1947
11-22-2013, 06:26 AM
[QUOTE=
Without a doubt the best book about the M1 ever written, Bruce hit a home run here, but for collectors, you still need your Duff and Babcock books too.
[/QUOTE]

:GS:

Lots of info and still reading, it's going to take a while to finish but enjoying it every chance I get to read it. :)
Rich

Random Guy
11-22-2013, 04:43 PM
I haven't had much time to review the copy I received early this week, but I will say that I am very grateful that he and the publisher incorporated color pictures in this book. This seems to be unique re my M1 Garand books, other than one paperbook book on the Garands. I look forward to reviewing it more detail this winter, but its my Christmas present from my wife, so it will get wrapped up soon...

JoeW2111
11-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Well without a doubt the biggest book ever written on the M1. Duff's book will remain as my "go to" book for determining the periods certain parts were used. Much easier for me to navigate. In some instances I will use Canfields book to back up what I think I already know or have read elsewhere. Doubt I will ever read everything contained in the book as I am a lot older than most of you :D. Surely not page by page. I will be reading it piecemeal, starting with the subjects I have a real interest in.

JoeW2111
11-22-2013, 05:08 PM
I look forward to reviewing it more detail this winter, but its my Christmas present from my wife, so it will get wrapped up soon...

Your a lucky guy. The first thing I did when the book arrived was cut up the invoice into real small pieces and then black out the price shown on the book. :D When she saw the book she said " That looks like a very expensive book, how much was it ?":mad: After 50 years of marriage I knew better than tell her. She tried to get it out of me but, no way.
When I go to a gun show. I always take an empty gun case and say that I am going to try and sell a gun. That makes her happy. If I buy a rifle at the show I just walk into the house with the new gun in the case and say, "to bad, I couldn't sell it". Life is good.

ebeeby
11-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Way too large a format - should've been cut into two volumes, maybe three.

Roadkingtrax
11-22-2013, 05:55 PM

I could of seen it as a boxed set, and broken up into sections.

It is not very "lap friendly", but I bet something like that would have cost 2x or more.

JoeW2111
11-22-2013, 07:40 PM
I could of seen it as a boxed set, and broken up into sections.

It is not very "lap friendly", but I bet something like that would have cost 2x or more.

Yeah, I would have liked something like that also but am sure it was thought of, and found to be cost prohibitive.

musketjon
11-23-2013, 02:23 AM

So what happens when you lose one or the other book? Buy another set and now you have 1 1/2 complete sets? No thanks. One is easy enough to lose by itself.
Jon

jerryjeff
11-23-2013, 03:01 AM
How do you lose a really big book? I missplace my glasses at least twice a week.

ebeeby
11-23-2013, 03:52 AM
So what happens when you lose one or the other book? Buy another set and now you have 1 1/2 complete sets? No thanks. One is easy enough to lose by itself.
Jon

Jon, has this been a problem for you? :)

JoeW2111
11-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Jon

Jon, are you sorry you made that reply :D Well you may have a point. If it were divided into 2 or 3 separate books they would be smaller and you might take it with you, to a gun show or someplace, and maybe "lose it". As it is, I have enough of a problem just taking it from one room to another, so I doubt there is much of a chance I will lose this book. :D

kingpin
11-23-2013, 03:20 PM
I like the part in the International Harvester section where after production ceased and the shop had been cleaned out to make room for Whirlpool a janitor was cleaning up when a truck pulled up with a delivery from Springfield with a crate of M1's sent out for testing. The guy did not know what to do with them so he drove down to the Ohio River and dumped them in the river. Now i will be looking for the road he drove down to dump them! :mad: Wishful thinking

Kaliman
11-23-2013, 03:35 PM
I like the part in the International Harvester section where after production ceased and the shop had been cleaned out to make room for Whirlpool a janitor was cleaning up when a truck pulled up with a delivery from Springfield with a crate of M1's sent out for testing. The guy did not know what to do with them so he drove down to the Ohio River and dumped them in the river. Now i will be looking for the road he drove down to dump them! :mad: Wishful thinking

You're gonna make me cry.

mjscianna
11-27-2013, 07:17 AM
Great book. Disappointing that for over $80 it is printed in China. I would have gladly spent an extra $20 to buy a copy printed in USA.

davidjeane
11-27-2013, 09:43 AM
I am sure Bruce monitors this forum. Could always ask him "why only one volume instead of two or three?"
David

stevie
11-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Been reading a few pages, excellent book

Goldiver
11-27-2013, 10:12 AM
When I go to a gun show. I always take an empty gun case and say that I am going to try and sell a gun. That makes her happy. If I buy a rifle at the show I just walk into the house with the new gun in the case and say, "to bad, I couldn't sell it". Life is good.

LOL That is just too darn funny! I can't believe I never thought of that one, I may have to use this in the future.

Steve

Bruce Canfield
11-27-2013, 10:33 AM
I am sure Bruce monitors this forum. Could always ask him "why only one volume instead of two or three?"
David

Actually, Stuart Mowbray (owner of Mowbray Publishing) and I had several discussions about releasing the book in two volumes which was originally my thought. Stuart, who has vast experience in the publishing business, said that a two volume set would be cost prohibitive and as it would increase the cost by at least 50% for the two volumes together as opposed to a single book (much of the expense is in the binding and covers). The same is true for having the book printed in China (actually Hong Kong). To have the same quality printing and binding done domestically would make an already expensive book substantially more costly. I defer to Mowbray Publishing in such matters as they put up all the money to have the book published (and it wasn't cheap) plus they know a lot more about the publishing business than I do!

Art1
11-27-2013, 10:54 AM
I haven't read it, yet, but, thank you for your efforts.

davidjeane
11-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks Bruce
Big brown truck delivers mine today at 4:00pm can't wait!
David

Perplexed
11-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the publishing comments, Bruce. I've only scratched the surface of the contents of my copy. It's a big book, alright!

Thanks Bruce
Big brown truck delivers mine today at 4:00pm can't wait!
David

Have a furniture dolly ready :D

JoeW2111
11-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Great book. Disappointing that for over $80 it is printed in China. I would have gladly spent an extra $20 to buy a copy printed in USA.

I hear you, and it is a shame, but unfortunately, like just about everything else, there is little choice. :cry: I would bet it would have been a heck of a lot more than $ 20.00 to have the book printed in the USA.

Bruce Canfield
11-27-2013, 12:37 PM
I hear you, and it is a shame, but unfortunately, like just about everything else, there is little choice. :cry: I would bet it would have been a heck of a lot more than $ 20.00 to have the book printed in the USA.

Yea, I don't think $20 bucks would begin to make up the difference. Mowbray has been in the publishing business for many decades and always puts out a quality product. Like any successful business, they want to get the best quality at the best possible price. Regardless of whether we like it or not (and I don't necessarily do), a lot of our stuff comes from overseas these days. If you have anything electronic, for example, you can bet the odds are very high in wasn't made in the good old USA. :-(

Andykev
11-27-2013, 01:03 PM
Mr. Canfield,

Excellent book, both in content, and illustrations. Really a "good read" with a vast amount of information. I don't care it was printed in China...the new SF Bay Bridge was made there too! Anyone writing a book knows there are a lot of behind the scenes considerations..financial, production, marketing...you achieved a very good balance.
This volume will be treasured..and I enjoy that you can just open it up at random and pick up the "conversation" or story anywhere. An excellent reference and "history" all in one. Well written. Thank you!

Unrep7
11-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Received mine today from shooting gallery books. Only had time to thumb through it, but looks great. Info I did not know about the history.

themeowman
11-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Got mine from Bruce about 2 weeks ago. Looks great after a quick look, started reading when I have a moment, lots of
info. I am learning. Thanks Bruce!
Tom

hcmaize
11-28-2013, 01:31 AM
Your a lucky guy. The first thing I did when the book arrived was cut up the invoice into real small pieces and then black out the price shown on the book. :D When she saw the book she said " That looks like a very expensive book, how much was it ?":mad: After 50 years of marriage I knew better than tell her. She tried to get it out of me but, no way.

LOL - my new-gun-response is: my guns don't eat and p**p like your dogs and cats do!

duke
11-28-2013, 06:32 AM
I received mine Wednesday 11-27-13 Its a great book can't put it down to help my wife with are turkey dinner she is in the shower now so of course I am reading it or on the CMP Forum
LOL

Topkick
11-29-2013, 08:04 PM
Received mine today. Way to much info to digest right away - but I did find out that my 4 digit was in the first batch issued to the USMC. Kinda cool!!

Oscar
12-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Kudos to Mr. Canfield.
This book is an awesome addition to the reference pile.
Got thru all 800+ pages last night.. now my wife is wrapping it as my Christmas present :GS:

Johnho
12-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Wow. How long would it take to read War and Peace then? :)