PDA

View Full Version : Hand Built Cart Final

Tony F
03-16-2014, 09:00 AM
Final cart build, cut substantial weight. Cart weighs 11 pounds, flat free tires / wheels add 9 pounds (16") or 10 pounds (20"). Wheels are secured with lynch pins, they remove easily for transport / storage. Took about 8 hours. Can't wait to try it.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/tonyf4/cart2_zpscd53781e.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d186/tonyf4/cart1_zpsb3a2cbd3.jpg

Mike308
05-20-2014, 01:40 PM
Do you have a drae=wing you'd be willing to share?

lw577nitro
06-28-2014, 06:11 PM
I might be tempted to part with some coin of the realm for a set of said drawings! ( and materials list)

Tony F
06-29-2014, 01:14 PM
I don't have a set of blue prints only my "sketches". A materials list would be easy though.

Greg Ficklin
06-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Your cart looks great. I was expecting to see some incarnation or a welding cart complete with milk crate, or some sort of wagon that doesn't go with you to the line. The solid aluminum bars are better than aluminum tubing, and should hold up well. To make it do everything you could hope for in a cart as the centerpiece of your range organization, consider adding a fold out table, and accessory rail along the bottom facing the shooter. Mine holds two mag pouches, smoker, and a general use closing pouch that uses the old ALICE clips. Having sweat rags attached to the cart low and high with a long zip tie, or retractable string is also very handy.

Tony F
07-01-2014, 07:18 AM
Thanks. The flat stock is 1 1/4" X 1/4" 6061 aluminum. Rods are solid 1" acetal (delrin), supposed to have the strength of 1" solid aluminum at 1/2 the weight. Cost was about $100 for aluminum, bolts, nuts, clips, etc. and $80 for the polycarbonate tires / wheels. I wanted a cart that I could modify to my needs & it works great. Didn't improve my score though!

3StrikesNC
07-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Looks good, I echo Greg's comments. A true test of durability would be CMP week at Camp Perry. The large wheels should serve you well wheeling it across the range, at least at Perry it's pretty "bumpy"...

Not sure how your M1 fits in there- looks like maybe you pin through the trigger guard? Make sure it can't rattle/come loose. If you use your cart a lot (compete in a number of matches), sooner or later you may need to upfit it for a rifle the length of a NM AR and/or M1 Carbine. Probably ought to include the capability to carry at least two rifles, once in a while three (Nationals- 1 for Hearst Doubles and two for Vintage Sniper), if you're in to that. Viale firing line is a long way from your vehicle in the parking lot.

Also- a place down low to lock in a small cooler for your lunch/favorite drinks can help as well.

Greg put me on to carrying one of those fold out camping style chairs at the Creedmoor Matches this year. At first I thought it unnecessary, but after I borrowed his he was right. You really don't want to use your cart as a seat, especially if you need to use it during a match quite a bit. Examples would include dragging your cart to the Viale firing line at Perry (though you can throw your stuff on the wagons to lessen the distance if you want to wait) or shooting XTC (200-300-600). If you compete in any of these or matches similar, just imagine your day if your cart breaks .... it could be miserable unless you've planned for it. The extra chair reduces that possibility. I've spoken to one guy (that many of you know) that carries a spare wheel- he said "happened to me once, won't happen again!".

Carts are more important in many competition events than folks think. If you shoot at clubs like the ones I do, not so much, but definitely at the larger Games/Nationals.

Still nice job. Nice to see others that have skills.

Rootsy
07-02-2014, 11:13 AM
If you would like it turned into a solid model + dimensioned drawings let me know. Kinda what I do.

Tony F
07-03-2014, 06:51 AM
3Strikes NC, the rifles M1, M1A, and AR all fit. Can't see it in the photos but the but stock fits into a small padded "tray" on the large tray. The top part of the rifle is secured to the padded cross piece with an elastic strap with quick disconnects. Don't have a carbine to try. It has worked great at our local (300 yd) range. Thanks for the advice.

Mac Attack
07-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Nice work. I have been using my wife's collapsible wagon that she uses for our kids sporting events. It carries a lot of stuff but its kind of a PITA to use.

Any chance you could play your materials build list?

3StrikesNC
07-06-2014, 07:45 PM
Looks good!

Tony F
07-07-2014, 11:02 AM
I've had a few requests for plans / material list. If you search this forum by "number of views" I had a post on 2-3-13 with 12K+ views. In that thread USMC Mustang has a couple of posts with material list / directions etc. It's very complete.

conair
07-31-2014, 12:11 PM
The search engine makes me want to shoot the computer with the Garand. Can you post a link?

Big_Red
07-31-2014, 02:15 PM
I've had a few requests for plans / material list. If you search this forum by "number of views" I had a post on 2-3-13 with 12K+ views. In that thread USMC Mustang has a couple of posts with material list / directions etc. It's very complete.

Gentlemen,
Here you go...

First, the individual post with materials & how-to list by USMC Mustang:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.php?p=763498&postcount=38

And the entire thread:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=59783

Good luck & regards,
Rob

timbo937
08-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Would you happen to remember where you got the surface mounted hinge and lid supports ?

chrisben
08-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Tony F,

Did you take this cart to Perry?
Do you sit on it?
How Many matches? How did it hold up bouncing around for the duration?
Would you make any changes?

Tony F
08-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Tony F,

Did you take this cart to Perry?
Do you sit on it?
How Many matches? How did it hold up bouncing around for the duration?
Would you make any changes?

A friend took it to Perry, four matches (if I remember correctly) and really liked it. No problems at all & yes I designed it so I could sit on it, the round stock has padding for a back rest. I'm looking at changing how the rifle is carried, maybe using ATV rifle mounts. That would free up space on the rear shelf for a lunch bucket. I've used it in a lot of local matches (AR & Garand) and it's been trouble free. Some like the 16" wheels better than the 20". The 20's roll easier. My friend has a Camaro and folded up it fit into his trunk. Been great so far.

USMC mustang
10-22-2014, 04:53 PM
It's nice to see people are still pursuing this project. My current duty location has put a hold on my shooting for a few years so I haven't been around here recently, let me know if anyone has any questions.