PDA

View Full Version : Remington 521 T

dpeterso
06-28-2010, 07:09 AM
I found a Remington 521 T at a local gunshop. I thought the 521 T was only made in a Junior target model, but this rifle seems much larger than I remember. I could not read any markings on the rifle, just the sales tag. Were two different 521 T models made? Thanks

39chevy
06-28-2010, 08:47 AM
I have the junior target stamped model...but I have also seen other 521T's without that stamping..so there are at least 2 variations out there

Calfed
06-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Anyone know if the 521T barrel was any "heavier" than the 510/511/512?

Are there any differences between the 510/511/512 series and the 521T internally?

Thanks

bobk
07-04-2010, 12:20 AM
The basic receivers for the 500 series Remington bolt action .22 rifles were the same except for the method of feeding. The 510 was a single shot and had a solid insert so it was not possible to use a 5 shot magazine. Also the bolt handle was quite small. The 511 was very similar to the 510 except it had a removable 5 shot magazine and also the small bolt handle. The 512 was a tubular magazine fed and also with the small bolt handle. All other internal parts were the same other than the feed mechanism.
As for the 521, it was pretty much the same receiver internally with a 5 shot box magazine and all other internal parts the same except the stock was heavier with a beavertail forend and it also had a larger bolt handle plus a target type rear sight. The barrels were the same profile as the other 500 series, at least on all the 521Ts that I have worked on and used. You mentioned about two types of 521s, what exactly were you referring to.
The other similar target type .22 from Remington which looked very similar to the 521 was the 513T, but it had the heavy bull barrel and either a ramp front sight or a globe front sight. It also had the target rear sight. The stocks on these two rifles were very similar and the bolt handles were the same larger type.
All things considered however, the receivers were interchangeable with the exception of the inserts for the feed mechanism.
If the barrel has no markings on it it may be a replacement barrel or it may have been refinished with all the markings polished off.
I hope I haven't confused you.

Calfed
07-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the information. One other quick question: What is the difference between the Remington 510 single shot and the Remington 514 single shot?

Thanks

Charlie Flick
07-04-2010, 12:21 PM
You mentioned about two types of 521s, what exactly were you referring to?

Hi BobK:

There were two versions of the M521, a 521T and a 521TL Junior.
See the link to the Remington site with some further details. http://remington.com/products/archived/rimfire/bolt-action/model-521-tl-junior-special.aspx

I have a M521T and it is a neat rifle, very similar to the M513T but with a Lyman rear sight, lighter barrel and more graceful appearance.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

hackit2
07-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Hi dpeterso, I just picked-up a Very Used 521-T with No Iron Sights. It has a Target-Style Stock with a wide forend that has a small,adjustable swivel rail underneath. The receiver is Drilled & Tapped for a scope base. Not Sure if it's Factory D&T, but nice clean work. It has a 25" barrel with sight blank fillers in the dovetails. Some say the correct rear sight is a Lyman 57 RS, with a square top post blade on the front. I looking for the Iron Sights to Complete the rifle. I would Greatly Appreciate any help in finding the Period-Correct Iron Sights for this rifle. Thanks Again! Jim (hackit2)

Charlie Flick
07-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Some say the correct rear sight is a Lyman 57 RS, with a square top post blade on the front. Jim (hackit2)

Jim:

My Model 521-T has a Lyman 57 RS rear sight on it. I have no reason to believe that this is not the original sight.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,
Charlie

hackit2
07-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks Charlie, I Really Appreciate The Information! Jim

dpeterso
07-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the information.

bobk
07-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Calfed regarding your question about the difference between the 510 and the 514, the 514 was a cheaper made rifle and did in fact cost less than the 510. Even though they were both magazine fed, the 514 had a tubular receiver and the bolt was different with a rotary safety on the rear of the bolt. In my opinion it was a rather junky rifle, but it was made cheaper and with a lot fewer parts than the 510 series. I guess it was made for a market that just wanted an inexpensive plinker .22.
Regarding the question about the different versions of the 521, now I understand what you meant. Most of the rimfire rifles that Remington made had more than one version, with the different versions having different length stocks, one for regular and one for youth, or a slightly different barrel length or different sights or even with no sights. The 40X had several versions with each differing according to the size of barrel, or the sights or whatever. But basically a 521 or a 510 or whichever one was the same overall though. The 510 started out with a very small front sight then became ultimately the 510X with a ramp front sight. The rear sight was originally on the rear of the barrel, but later they made a grooved receiver for mounting a scope.
One of my favorite rifles is a 510X that I took the sights off and mounted a scope on and it is a tack driver.
I also have a late model 513T that I did the same on and it is a beauty.