PDA

View Full Version : help with M84 scope and mount

colreed
07-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Just received GI M84 and mount.
I suspect that mounting the scope directly in that mount will cause some scarring of the tube.
Is there some sort of flexible material (thin rubber, neoprene, etc) that I can put between the tube and mount to protect it? Seems like it would also help secure the assembly.
What ever the material, it should be something that, over time, would not deterioriate, stain, or stick the the hardware.
Thanks for any inputs.

Punch the Clown
07-14-2010, 03:51 PM
There isn't enough room to put anything between the mount and the scope. When I got mine I dis-assembled the scope from the mount. I had to pop it open with a screwdriver. Anyway, the military? had put a coat of shellac on the mount where it contacted the scope. I cleaned it nice with de-natured, re-mounted the scope and the scope ended up walking forward in the mount from the recoil. The scope is now nicely scratched. Sooooo, whoever shellaced it in the first place had the right idea.

colreed
07-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Kid,
Sorry to hear about the scratches. That tube is too many $ to mess up. Maybe some saran wrap?????? Or something like it.
I don't think I want to resort to shellac. But maybe will if all else fails.

mcfried
07-14-2010, 11:05 PM
ummm I have two of them use a piece of paper....................

kraigwy
07-15-2010, 02:11 AM
Clear Finger Nail Polish.

edlmann
07-15-2010, 10:21 AM
ummm I have two of them use a piece of paper....................

I'd stay from paper as it holds moisture - is the M84 tube steel?

Punch the Clown
07-15-2010, 11:10 AM
I'd stay from paper as it holds moisture - is the M84 tube steel?

Yep, blued steel.

Twinson
07-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Just tighten down the mount and it woun't move. The scope moves in the mount when people don't tighten them down enough. Don't forget, this was designed for combat, they are tuff...If mounted properly, you will not scratch the tube. Jim

Timegoes0n
07-15-2010, 01:07 PM
try a piece of plastic milk carton or something like that

TomM1cGarand
07-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Try thin rubber stripps cut from a rubber jar opener!

tazaroo
07-15-2010, 05:56 PM
What about black electrical tape? Folks have been using it on chrome handlebars for years to stop hand controls from twisting on the bars from engine vibration. It shouldn't cause any issues on the finish either.

MXLMAX
07-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Gentlemen,
For what its worth I ride high end bicyles. One problem that they have is where carbon fiber is clamped it can slip. Specifically I am refering to carbon fiber seat posts and carbon fiber handlebars. What this has to do with scope mounts is this, the method to insure non-slippage is the use of a "paste" that contains plastic spheres of different diameters that compress when clamped thus holding the parts and preventing slipping. I would not build a bike without this product. From what I have read in this thread, all of the suggestions are to thick. If its my expensive M84 USGI scope I'm using the assembly paste. Specifically its called "Tacx Tao assembly paste". It comes in a small jar, you smear it on the parts you want to clamp and you do so, its fantastic. No marring, scratching or strong solvents to remove it, just wipe it off. Google, "Tacx Tao assembly paste". It would work famously!
Hope this helps, Randy

tazaroo
07-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Gentlemen,
For what its worth I ride high end bicyles. One problem that they have is where carbon fiber is clamped it can slip. Specifically I am refering to carbon fiber seat posts and carbon fiber handlebars. What this has to do with scope mounts is this, the method to insure non-slippage is the use of a "paste" that contains plastic spheres of different diameters that compress when clamped thus holding the parts and preventing slipping. I would not build a bike without this product. From what I have read in this thread, all of the suggestions are to thick. If its my expensive M84 USGI scope I'm using the assembly paste. Specifically its called "Tacx Tao assembly paste". It comes in a small jar, you smear it on the parts you want to clamp and you do so, its fantastic. No marring, scratching or strong solvents to remove it, just wipe it off. Google, "Tacx Tao assembly paste". It would work famously!
Hope this helps, Randy

How easy is it to remove the stuff if you have to? Also, will it effect the blueing on the scope? Does it set instantly? Lastly, how fast does it set because there may have to be some leveling of the scope as the mount is tightened.

MXLMAX
07-16-2010, 04:58 AM
Taz,
It never sets because it doesn't have to. To resistance comes from the compression of the plastic spheres in the paste. It just wipes off when taken apart. It leaves no mark on the bars, stems or seat posts. I haven't tried it on bluing but don't anticipate a problem. Its not abrasive. Another bike component company that sends a packet of the stuff with all of their carbon parts is "Full Speed Ahead". They also make the "assembly paste". I know, it seems to good to be true but its good stuff. I have a Numrich repro M84 and mount and will use this "paste" today and report back.
Randy

colreed
07-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Randy,
Am anxious to here the results of your trial with the paste. Sounds like good stuff if it doesn't affect the finish.
Reed

col b
07-16-2010, 11:06 AM
I use clear slick plastic 3M packaging tape....put the sticky side toward the mount on each side of the mount ...smooth side against the M84 tube.

MXLMAX
07-16-2010, 02:12 PM
I took my new repro M84 scope and repro M1D mount (Numrich) and assembled them using the Tacx Tao silicone based assembly paste. Upon disassembly the only "damage" to the blueing came from the mount itself. The assembly paste wipes right off with no change in the scopes blued finish. It doesn't take alot of this stuff! In review, the assembly paste is a silicone based paste with different sized plastic spheres in it. When the clamp is tightened the spheres take up any space and provide grip. Its great stuff (especially on bike parts that use clamps). Hope this helps, Randy

Bigswedez
07-19-2010, 04:34 AM
Brown paper grocery sack , dampened with CLP.

jgaynor
07-19-2010, 10:03 AM
You guys are overthinking this.

Put the scope in the mount. Put the mount on the rifle.

They are now a unit.

Forget about it.

Regards,

Jim