PDA

View Full Version : Garand load Question

brandy12
07-26-2010, 06:26 PM
I am current loading 46.5 Grains of IMR 4895 with a 162 grain ap bullet. Primer is wolf large rifle magnum in a mix of LC, HXP, and comercial brass. With the variances in powder load being at most 47 Grains. Their is no signs of high pressure like flatten primers etc. My rifle seems to like the load but is it too hot for a Garand?

Please give feedbacks of opinions. Whether my rifle likes the load or not or even if their is no signs of high pressure I still would like to protect my rifle.

Thank You

cfullgraf
07-26-2010, 09:05 PM
The Hodgdon data site says for 30-06, 48 gr min to 51.2 gr max with IMR4895 with a Hornady 168 HPBT. I don't have my Hornady manual handy to check the Garand section.

But, 46.5 to 47 gr IMR4895 with a 160 to 170 gr bullet is probably heavier than I would shoot in my Garands. I load 46 to 46.4 gr IMR4895 with 150 gr bullet. The loads chronographs a bit slower than 2700 fps 10 feet from the muzzle. A heavier bullet would require a little less powder.

Just my opinion. I suggest you consult several reloading manuals or reputable sources if you have not done so already.

Recently, the experts are saying flattened primers are not necessarily an indication of high pressure. One reference is Speer #14.

VMFn542bob
07-26-2010, 10:27 PM
... I don't have my Hornady manual handy to check the Garand section. . . .
Just my opinion. I suggest you consult several reloading manuals or reputable sources if you have not done so already. . .
for 168gr bullets IMR 4895
39.6gr = 2300 fps; 42.1gr = 2400 fps; 44.6gr = 2500 fps
not to exceed load 47.1gr = 2600 fps
DITTO on your second comment

brandy12
07-26-2010, 10:54 PM
I have checked several reloading manuals and all say that it is safe. The max of 47 grains of imr with a 165/8 bullet according to the NRA hand book but none of them talk about a mag primer. Wolf primers even the mags are supposed to be pretty mild. 47 grains is my max load. Does the primer affect it that much? No one really answers that question I have found. Also, is the cci #34 consider a mag primer or just have a harder cup?

VMFn542bob
07-26-2010, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE=brandy12;166315]. . . Does the primer affect it that much? . . .QUOTE]
Magnium LR primers are hotter than regular Large Rifle primers. The only reason to use them is to involve more powder in the fire faster. Magnium cartridges and some centerfire black powder rifle cartridges (i.e. 45-70 GOV) need a magnium primer. If you use them where they are not called for you need to reduce the powder charge or risk over pressure.

USSR
07-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Magnium LR primers are hotter than regular Large Rifle primers.

Not in all cases. The NRA Technical Staff did some testing years ago as to the effect of substituting various components while keeping the load the same. When it came to substituting primers on a load using IMR4895, they found that both Win. WLR primers and Fed. 210M primers produced higher velocity and pressure than the identical load using CCI Magnum primers. The Winchester WLR's in particular, are a magnum primer in everything but name.

Don

8milimeter
07-27-2010, 06:49 AM
Your load would be at the max end for a garand if you were using a standard boat tail bullet. The AP bullets have almost twice the bearing surface of a boat tail and 33% more then a flat based bullet of same weight. IMHO this is why your 47.0 load would create two much pressure.

TokiWartooth
07-27-2010, 08:21 AM
I am current loading 46.5 Grains of IMR 4895 with a 162 grain ap bullet. Primer is wolf large rifle magnum in a mix of LC, HXP, and comercial brass. With the variances in powder load being at most 47 Grains. Their is no signs of high pressure like flatten primers etc. My rifle seems to like the load but is it too hot for a Garand?

Please give feedbacks of opinions. Whether my rifle likes the load or not or even if their is no signs of high pressure I still would like to protect my rifle.

Thank You

I've loaded 46.1 and 46.5 with 168 BT FMJ grainers in HXP brass. Have not shot them yet. Both within spec of Hornady has a max of 47.1 grains with a 168 FMJ, although the 46.5 may be a touch hot in the HXP brass..

Mad_Gorilla
07-27-2010, 09:54 AM
I've loaded 46.1 and 46.5 with 168 BT FMJ grainers in HXP brass. Have not shot them yet. Both within spec of Hornady has a max of 47.1 grains with a 168 FMJ, although the 46.5 may be a touch hot in the HXP brass..

I'm loading 46 gr. of Varget with the 168 Hornady match, CCI-34 primers, in LC brass. Varget is the same approximate burning rate as IMR-4895. Your load should work OK, but I wouldn't go any hotter.

If the load shoots well, and you're worried about pressure, I would install a Schuster adjustable gas plug just to be on the safe side.

cfullgraf
07-27-2010, 11:28 AM
If the load shoots well, and you're worried about pressure, I would install a Schuster adjustable gas plug just to be on the safe side.

What pressure are we worried about? If I understand the Shuster plug correctly it only relieves the pressure in the gas cylinder to protect the op rod. It would not have an effect on chamber pressures.

Or am I missing something?

TokiWartooth
07-27-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm loading 46 gr. of Varget with the 168 Hornady match, CCI-34 primers, in LC brass. Varget is the same approximate burning rate as IMR-4895. Your load should work OK, but I wouldn't go any hotter.

I don't think there are any pressure worries with these loads. Based on what I see, I think the Hornady Garand section is very conservative when it comes to loads...

Mad_Gorilla
07-28-2010, 12:12 AM
What pressure are we worried about? If I understand the Shuster plug correctly it only relieves the pressure in the gas cylinder to protect the op rod. It would not have an effect on chamber pressures.

Or am I missing something?

As I said, if he was worried about pressure... Installing the adjustable plug won't hurt anything, and you can fine tune the gas pressure applied for the least stress while still getting reliable operation. I know that chamber pressure is not the issue.

duggaboy
07-29-2010, 07:23 PM
I just tested - a - load: HXP cases, cci 34 primers, 155 grain Nosler CC BTHP, 47 grain IMR 4895, Oal 3.28", jump to lands about 10 thousands. Very accurate, no hot, and 46 grains shoots very well also. this is hammonje's load which he scored 290-6X with recently, and he sent it to me on the CMP forums. good luck.:GS:

HughUno
08-01-2010, 06:23 AM
[.QUOTE]
Magnium cartridges and some centerfire black powder rifle cartridges (i.e. 45-70 GOV) need a magnium primer. .

it's a minor point, and a bit off the subject, but this bit of input isn'treally totally correct, although others who don't keep up with the BPCR "technology" race may still repeat this advice.

as a matter of fact, BlackPowder is incredibly easy to get fully "involved" in the burning process. just to put things in perspective, some competitors in BPCR are now using PISTOL primers and then placing a layer or toilet paper over the primer hole (or over the primer mouth itself) to SLOW things down! the fact is that BPCR competitors use the entire range of primers from pistol to LR mag.

Me, I still use Federal Magnum LR primers in compressed bp loads, but only because that's what steve Garbe advised 20 years ago. I haven't had enough time to try out the new-fangled ideas going around yet! LOL.