PDA

View Full Version : Need help/advise - 1903 Springfield not ejecting properly.

ernie
08-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Hello all,

I am troubled by a high number 1903 Springfield that is not ejecting properly. The extractor is pulling the round out of the chamber but the little piece that ejects the casing does not always extend out enough to push the cartridge out of the action. Out of 10 shots maybe 5 eject properly and 5 just lay in the receiver.

I have changed the little ejection piece (had one extra) and I have changed bolts/bolt bodies. I have also made sure that the area where the little ejection piece fits is clean from grease etc.

I have about 4 other 1903's that function flawlessly - whats wrong with this one?

Any help/advise is definately appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Rick the Librarian
08-17-2010, 08:04 PM
You might try exchanging ejectors and other parts with your M1903s that do work and see if that gives you a clue.

John Beard
08-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Hello all,

I am troubled by a high number 1903 Springfield that is not ejecting properly. The extractor is pulling the round out of the chamber but the little piece that ejects the casing does not always extend out enough to push the cartridge out of the action. Out of 10 shots maybe 5 eject properly and 5 just lay in the receiver.

I have changed the little ejection piece (had one extra) and I have changed bolts/bolt bodies. I have also made sure that the area where the little ejection piece fits is clean from grease etc.

I have about 4 other 1903's that function flawlessly - whats wrong with this one?

Any help/advise is definately appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Your problem could be caused by several different things, or perhaps a combination of things (i.e., tolerance buildup).

The first place to start is with the ejector.

Examine the ejector and make sure that the "tail" is not broken off. This happens occasionally. The "tail" is that portion of the ejector which extends behind the hole for the pin.

If the tail is not broken off, then examine the ejector and verify that it's a pre-WWII ejector. The ejector consists of a "blade", a "shoulder", and a hole for the pin. On a pre-WWII ejector, the shoulder has a very slight curvature. On a WWII ejector, the shoulder is straight. If you're having ejection problems, then a pre-WWII ejector with the curved shoulder may solve your problem.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

ernie
08-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Any idea where I find a Pre-wwII ejector or if I post for one will someone know what I am looking for?

Many thanks for your advise.

VMFn542bob
08-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Any idea where I find a Pre-wwII ejector or if I post for one will someone know what I am looking for?

Many thanks for your advise.
Send Bill Ricca an e-mail with details of what you are looking for. He will know.
http://www.billricca.com/03_springfield.htm