PDA

View Full Version : Linked ammo is here - with surprise - pic.

americal71
08-31-2010, 09:34 AM
My two cans of linked from the last spurt just arrived. There was one small deviation from what I expected. One can is marked RA l 43171 and sure enough when I opened it it is full of RA 54 ball. I do not think I will complain about this "error." The otdher can looks like good HXP all the way. Just checked the chart and it seems to be non corr!
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/americal1971/just%20stuff/IMG_0076.jpg
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/americal1971/just%20stuff/IMG_0078.jpg
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac140/americal1971/just%20stuff/IMG_0079.jpg

terry_b
08-31-2010, 10:59 AM
darn you. when i saw the title of your post i thought maybe your can really contained the 4BALL 1TR like we've seen printed on other cans

mtn71
08-31-2010, 12:15 PM
A month or two ago I received linked HXP with every 5th round a tracer, on WWII cloth belt (was supposed to have been Kynoch). I sure didn't complain either.:)

edlmann
08-31-2010, 12:47 PM
A month or two ago I received linked HXP with every 5th round a tracer, on WWII cloth belt (was supposed to have been Kynoch). I sure didn't complain either.:)

I'da bragged too . . . ;)

NRA4LIFE
08-31-2010, 02:38 PM
I just received my 2 boxes. These people are great at what they do. Thank you cmp!

terry_b
08-31-2010, 03:25 PM
can't wait. one can went shipped and moved to history friday, the second went shipped today and the third hit the CC today. should be some happy times late this week and early next week
backside, flaming bomb and UNITED. didn't take pix of that side. all M2 ball, HXP 66

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/buydote/gun%20pix/ammo001.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/buydote/gun%20pix/ammo002.jpg
little slip of paper in the can listing contents

NRA4LIFE
08-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Hey did anyone get a box with the flaming bomb symbol?

Craftsman
08-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Hey did anyone get a box with the flaming bomb symbol?
Yes, both mine do.
Anyone know what M1A1 on the can means?
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/Craftsmanpics/IMG_0406.jpg

AlReiter
08-31-2010, 08:08 PM
My two cans of linked from the last spurt just arrived. There was one small deviation from what I expected. One can is marked RA l 43171 and sure enough when I opened it it is full of RA 54 ball. I do not think I will complain about this "error." The otdher can looks like good HXP all the way. Just checked the chart and it seems to be non corr!

Can't remember so I'll ask. What's RA?
Oops, I think I remember. Remington Arms?

Flintlock
08-31-2010, 08:52 PM
Yes, both mine do.
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/Craftsmanpics/IMG_0406.jpg

It's the designation for the can with the latch for a MG tripod on the front of it. I've seen those cans sell for about $35 each before. Seems like you've got a good haul on this ammo purchase!

Craftsman
08-31-2010, 09:02 PM
It's the designation for the can with the latch for a MG tripod on the front of it. I've seen those cans sell for about $35 each before. Seems like you've got a good haul on this ammo purchase!
Thanks for the info. Yes the CMP was good to me.
I was more excited about these cans than the ammo.

Kansas Poster
08-31-2010, 09:28 PM
My 4 cans ordered same evening now show tracking. Fed-Ex does not have it yet. 4 different tracking numbers.

Should ship tomorrow. Will be here Friday.

Are they shipping the cans with no box?

How are they tagged for shipping?

My order is 588226. Takes just under three shipping days to get here in Kansas. Ship Wed, arrive Friday, around 1320.

Happy days. Hope I do not have to remove any staples?

medalguy
08-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Interesting to note the paper slip has what certainly looks like the NATO symbol. 30-06 was never standardized as a NATO round. Wonder what that's about???

cuppednlocked
08-31-2010, 09:55 PM
I received a can today, should get 1 tomorrow and another the day after that.

My can today was RA-L-43171 and the contents matched the can.

xjda68
09-01-2010, 01:16 AM
Sometimes I wonder how the order process works? I work on the computer most of the day so I have a habit of checking the CMP E-Store several times a day. I usually get sight of something interesting within hours or sooner of it being posted. But when I jump on the latest deals we have seen I seem to be the last one from looking at the posts to receive my items. For instance on the AP I know I was one of the first to put in an order but to no avail after 2 weeks of seeing nothing on my E-Store account just an E-Mail the day after confirming my order, I was told they refunded my credit card and canceled my order due to insufficient stock on hand. Go Figure. Now everyone and there brother is getting there Belted HXP and better and I cant even get an E-Mail conformation, just An E-Store history that says ordered on the 30th. I ordered it on the 23rd At 2:01PM and Quantity was 820 cans at the time. NOT Complaining just would like to know if anyone else has had worse luck than this.:confused:

Sako30
09-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Sometimes I wonder how the order process works? I work on the computer most of the day so I have a habit of checking the CMP E-Store several times a day. I usually get sight of something interesting within hours or sooner of it being posted. But when I jump on the latest deals we have seen I seem to be the last one from looking at the posts to receive my items. For instance on the AP I know I was one of the first to put in an order but to no avail after 2 weeks of seeing nothing on my E-Store account just an E-Mail the day after confirming my order, I was told they refunded my credit card and canceled my order due to insufficient stock on hand. Go Figure. Now everyone and there brother is getting there Belted HXP and better and I cant even get an E-Mail conformation, just An E-Store history that says ordered on the 30th. I ordered it on the 23rd At 2:01PM and Quantity was 820 cans at the time. NOT Complaining just would like to know if anyone else has had worse luck than this.:confused:

Alphabetical order, your name starts with an X.:D

edlmann
09-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Are they shipping the cans with no box?
How are they tagged for shipping?

All of mine have arrived in corrugated cardboard boxes sealed with 2" monofilament packing tape.

Julius44bc
09-01-2010, 10:59 AM
My two boxes just came. Here is the first. I guess RA means Remington and 54 means 1954.

Please excuse my ignorance. Where can I look to get exact information about the cartridges? Are the primers really non-corrosive? I understand that 1954 was a year near to when they went from corrosive to non-corrosive (may be wrong).

What is the composition of the projectile? Copper washed steel? The bullet attracts a magnet. Any help for this noob is appreciated. I may be getting old, but at least I'm not as old as this ammo (close though).

http://www.rangeweb.net/~rick.lowrance/Sept10/ammo01.jpg

http://www.rangeweb.net/~rick.lowrance/Sept10/ammo02.jpg

americal71
09-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Check the sticky on this board - the lot number shows non-corr.

Scrounger
09-01-2010, 11:05 AM
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG!!!!!! Mine still have not shipped:(

I feel like the last kid to get picked for dodge ball teams.

The anticipation is killing me!:cry:

Ok, back to work, got to earn money for the next CMP order:p

Julius44bc
09-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Here is the second box. Greek and it includes the little note describing the contents of the can. Looks like it was typed with one of those old fashioned typewriters with the little hammers that came up and stamped the letter.

Even though this was from 1966 the can looks much older than the 1954 stuff. It has the flaming bomb.

http://www.rangeweb.net/~rick.lowrance/Sept10/ammo06.jpg

http://www.rangeweb.net/~rick.lowrance/Sept10/ammo07.jpg

http://www.rangeweb.net/~rick.lowrance/Sept10/ammo08.jpg

bob moore
09-01-2010, 11:22 AM
My one can arrived today, RA L- 43171, ammo marked R A, no notes inside the box. Ammo looks fine. Box needs a good bath.

NRA4LIFE
09-01-2010, 12:56 PM
How do you know if it is non-corrosive? I saw the non-corrosive chart but i have the attention span of about 5 seconds. The primers have a bit of green around them NOT like the green in the photos above. Almost like the corrosive green reaction to copper? Anyone?

Flintlock
09-01-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm jealous. I went to order and it was all gone from the estore. Later on I saw people posting about ordering an hour or so after I checked, but by the time I got back to it it was gone again. Someone must of had it all in their cart to check inventory or something. STOP DOING THAT TO CHECK INVENTORY! It makes some of us miss out on getting to order things.

zaugau
09-01-2010, 01:01 PM

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG!!!!!! Mine still have not shipped:(

I feel like the last kid to get picked for dodge ball teams.

The anticipation is killing me!:cry:

Ok, back to work, got to earn money for the next CMP order:p

Guys, I'm in the same boat, ordered 2 cans early and 2 more later in the day, and estore shows the first order in order history but no tracking, and the 2nd order still in processing. Then I went to the Fedex tracking site, and did the "track by reference" putting my CMP number in the reference field, and found that it all shipped yesterday. Should get here on the 8th. So check the fedex tracker, maybe you have movement but it's not showing on estore.

CadillacMike
09-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Some of you are getting RA linked? wow! maybe I'll be so lucky.

I'll bet what happenned is that the Greeks originally bought a quantity of US .30 cal ammo, and eventually started making their own (obviously they also purchased some from Norway, GB, etc.). That's why we are seeing 50s era US & NATO ammo. What seems to be the case on usage, is that Greece probably used its new ammunition first (LIFO) instead of using the oldest ammo in its inventory first (FIFO). Or they didn't manage inventory control at all. If they did, then we would never be seeing any 1950s US AP, linked, etc. because it would have all been used decades ago. We should thank them.

Either that or they really did forget abnout what was in that cave as Orest mentioned...

I should have ordered more than 2 cans - but i have so much .30 caliber, plus my wife will go apesh!t if i get any more ammo in the house.

Julius44bc
09-01-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm jealous. I went to order and it was all gone from the estore. Later on I saw people posting about ordering an hour or so after I checked, but by the time I got back to it it was gone again. Someone must of had it all in their cart to check inventory or something. STOP DOING THAT TO CHECK INVENTORY! It makes some of us miss out on getting to order things.

As much as I usually cringe at complaints, I must say I agree with this. I don't know if that trick people use to determine inventory affects orders or not. But, it definitely burdens the CMP servers. There should be a way for the CMP programmer to defeat the display of inventory.

Craftsman
09-01-2010, 02:19 PM
As much as I usually cringe at complaints, I must say I agree with this. I don't know if that trick people use to determine inventory affects orders or not. But, it definitely burdens the CMP servers. There should be a way for the CMP programmer to defeat the display of inventory.
Yup, now that the "children", know how to "play" with the system, it won't stop, till someone stops it for them!

harley45
09-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Orest has asked them to stop. Once they put the large number in to check inventory it should be locked in and they should be charged for it. If the product is not in stock, put the funds on hold and backorder. That might stop them.

Charlie59
09-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Yes, both mine do.
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac4/Craftsmanpics/IMG_0406.jpg I read on this forum some time back something posted by an active duty soldier. He said he uses a M1 for exhibitions, etc. He also said the designation on his paperwork for his rifle is: M1A1. Does anyone here remember the thread, at least I'm pretty sure the thread was on our forum.

Charlie

wrwindsor
09-01-2010, 03:10 PM
IMO, the best way to make the problem (of folks putting the entire inventory count into their shopping cart) go away is to display the inventory count somewhere. Either in the category index page or the product description.

TexRdnec
09-01-2010, 03:21 PM
75% of mine got here today.

the other can shows as departing fort worth 12 hours before the 3 that got here today but shows no movement after that. i'm fearing the worst.

xjda68
09-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Guys, I'm in the same boat, ordered 2 cans early and 2 more later in the day, and estore shows the first order in order history but no tracking, and the 2nd order still in processing. Then I went to the Fedex tracking site, and did the "track by reference" putting my CMP number in the reference field, and found that it all shipped yesterday. Should get here on the 8th. So check the fedex tracker, maybe you have movement but it's not showing on estore.

Thanks zaugau, thats good advise I did not think to do.

xjda68
09-01-2010, 03:44 PM
IMO, the best way to make the problem (of folks putting the entire inventory count into their shopping cart) go away is to display the inventory count somewhere. Either in the category index page or the product description.

I agree.

lennnorment
09-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Linked ammo arrived today. Ordered on the first day. Some RA54 was in the shipment. Nice surprise. 75% of the cans were the M1A1 type. The ones with the extra latch at the bottom. All the rest is HXP66. One can was mixed HXP with every 5th round an RA54. I guess they used that to replace the tracers. Cans have had mud on them at some time. I mean real mud, not just dirt. I am very happy with the new additions to the "bunker" , as my friends call it. THANK YOU CMP with a Special THANKS to Orest. ( I am the one that was talking to you Sat. at the Eastern Games about the AP quantities.)

wrwindsor
09-01-2010, 05:41 PM
mine arrived today.

HXP66 in a very rough ammo can and RA54 in a very clean ammo can (inside smells "ammo fresh").

Both cans contained one continuous belt.

Good stuff.

Julius44bc
09-01-2010, 06:04 PM
On the side of the can it says:
"Linked Ball AN-M2"
I'm probably going to regret asking, but what does the "AN" stand for?

oldUSMCsgt
09-01-2010, 06:37 PM
On the side of the can it says:
"Linked Ball AN-M2"
I'm probably going to regret asking, but what does the "AN" stand for?

ArmyNavy

Flintlock
09-01-2010, 07:01 PM
ArmyNavy

False.

It stands for "Alternative." AN M2 bullets have a slightly different composition than normal M2 ball, I just can't remember the difference. I think it was less copper content in the jacket, but don't take my word on that.

The.Fish
09-01-2010, 07:14 PM
I also received my 2 cans today 1 can was the 250 rd linked RA 54 and the other was 192 rd can with 8rd clipped SL 54 m2 ball in bandoleers without card boards.

glrgr
09-01-2010, 09:04 PM
I also received my two today; one linked 250 hxp 66; the other 192 clipped in bandoleers TW 57(?) bando and can match lot #

Julius44bc
09-02-2010, 09:04 AM
It stands for "Alternative." AN M2 bullets have a slightly different composition than normal M2 ball, I just can't remember the difference. I think it was less copper content in the jacket, but don't take my word on that.

Interesting. Would like to know more about that. The bullets on the RA54 do attract a magnet. The steel jacketed bullets on the HXP have the color of brass, while the bullets on the RA54 have the color of copper. On the RA54, either the jacket contains steel or there is some sort of steel in the core.

bigchuck350
09-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Received my four cans, three were M1A1 cans with nice links and HXP 66 . The other can was newer and in rough shape, the links were rusty and the ammo tarnished with some corrosion. All in all still a good deal.

Scrounger
09-02-2010, 10:43 AM
SHIPPED!!!!:)

Now I can stop whining, and start anticipating.

Oops, so excited I double posted.

wrwindsor
09-02-2010, 10:59 AM
You know you can delete your own posts. :)

"Edit" button at bottom
"Delete" (third grey box in bottom right)

xjda68
09-02-2010, 11:07 AM
ArmyNavy

TRUE, Sarge is correct.

AN-M2 means Army Navy M2 indicating acceptance by both branches of service. Western Cartridge Company started marking there packaging .30ANM2 in 1941 with GM jacketed flat-based bullets. I know this for a fact not speculation. Just look up the history of Browning AN-M2 .30 & .50 Cal MG's and you will see that "AN" means approved by both services.

xjda68
09-02-2010, 11:30 AM
False.

AN M2 is Army Navy M2 ball. The Labeling and markings your remembering is "Ball M2 Alternate" found on cases and boxes from 1942 -1958. It was when they wanted to reduce the reliance on strategic metals. Frankfort arsenal came up with GMCS version of the M2 Ball round in 1942.
CN=Cupronickel
CNCS=Cupronickel-clad-steel
GM=Gilding-metal (alloy consisting 90% copper, 10% zinc)
GMCS=Gilding-metal-clad-steel

xjda68
09-07-2010, 01:56 AM
Can't remember so I'll ask. What's RA?
Oops, I think I remember. Remington Arms?

RA can also be RAUFOSS AMMUNISJONSFABRIKKER
Raufoss, Norway. They used this headstamp on .30-06 from 1951-1953. 1954-1956 they used AYR and then in 57-59 used RA again. When Norma and Raufoss formed RANO in 1964 they started using RA again on .30-06 to present day. Post a pic and I will tell you if its Remington or Norwegian.

Julius44bc
09-07-2010, 07:40 AM
I posted pics of the RA headstamped cartridges earlier in this thread. Going by your dates, since it's 1954 it should not be the Raufoss company.

xjda68
09-07-2010, 11:42 AM
I posted pics of the RA headstamped cartridges earlier in this thread. Going by your dates, since it's 1954 it should not be the Raufoss company.

Julius, Forgot about the Pic you posted of can and rounds in question. Went back and looked , definitely Remington. Just received my 5 cans this morning, going to open them in a bit.

OK, opened my 5 cardboard boxes and 3 nice cans of RA54 and 2 sealed beat to hell and back cans of HXP66 repack.

Stockyards brat
09-07-2010, 04:56 PM
TRUE, Sarge is correct.

AN-M2 means Army Navy M2 indicating acceptance by both branches of service. Western Cartridge Company started marking there packaging .30ANM2 in 1941 with GM jacketed flat-based bullets. I know this for a fact not speculation. Just look up the history of Browning AN-M2 .30 & .50 Cal MG's and you will see that "AN" means approved by both services.

I thought the AN series of Browning machine guns were lightweight guns used in aircraft, both fixed and flexible. Had higher rates of fire also.

xjda68
09-07-2010, 07:15 PM
I thought the AN series of Browning machine guns were lightweight guns used in aircraft, both fixed and flexible. Had higher rates of fire also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1919_Browning_machine_gun
“With assistance from firearms engineers at Fabrique Nationale de Herstal[4], Belgium, the Model 1919 was completely re-engineered into the .30 caliber M2 AN (Army-Navy) aircraft machine gun. The .30 in M2 AN Browning was widely adopted as both a fixed (offensive) and flexible (defensive) weapon on aircraft.”

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ZdxRp00TirAJ:www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/en/M1919_Browning_machine_gun+AN-M2+army+navy&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
“AN/M2. The AN/ part of the nomenclature stood for "Army-Navy" and was used to describe joint systems until the end of the Second World War.”

Spinner55
09-07-2010, 10:28 PM
2 cans of linked ammo showed up came today: Was scheduled for Friday but the 'boss' was in the hospital for testing. So it was delayed till today.

All the ammo looked great. Very bright and clean.

1 can of HXP in a M1A1 can (for the M1917 machine gun)
1 can of RA 54 in a newer can. A very clean looking can

I had bought 1 can for another CMP member. After a coin flip, the HXP came home with me. He got the RA-54 can. Just how 'rare' are the M1917 ammo cans? I've never seen one in person before.
Take care Spin

Sarge1998
09-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Similar to Spinner55 I received HXP 66 in a new can and RA 54 in a WWII can, since the gasket is almost gone on the old can the HXP is a bit aged, the RA looks great.
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/Sarge1998/Ammo/DSCN0422.jpg

TokiWartooth
09-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Here is the second box. Greek and it includes the little note describing the contents of the can. Looks like it was typed with one of those old fashioned typewriters with the little hammers that came up and stamped the letter.

Even though this was from 1966 the can looks much older than the 1954 stuff. It has the flaming bomb.

http://www.rangeweb.net/~rick.lowrance/Sept10/ammo06.jpg

http://www.rangeweb.net/~rick.lowrance/Sept10/ammo07.jpg

http://www.rangeweb.net/~rick.lowrance/Sept10/ammo08.jpg

I received the same exact stuff.

What's with the "Brass" colored projectiles? Are they brass FMJ?

I'm gonna pull a couple tonite to see the condition of the powder and weigh it.

TokiWartooth
09-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Similar to Spinner55 I received HXP 66 in a new can and RA 54 in a WWII can, since the gasket is almost gone on the old can the HXP is a bit aged, the RA looks great.
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/Sarge1998/Ammo/DSCN0422.jpg

Dude... Notice the Brasso in the background. DO NOT USE THIS to clean cases with. Contains ammonia which breaks down brass.

Sarge1998
09-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Dude... Notice the Brasso in the background. DO NOT USE THIS to clean cases with. Contains ammonia which breaks down brass.
You are correct, I only use the Brasso for my duty belt hardware, we have inspections on Wednesday, it normally sits in a box below the bench. I do use mineral spirits and a Scotcbrite pad on the Kynoch, that seemed to polish it up and remove the adhesive from the cloth belt. But you do have sharp eyes!

Spinner55
09-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Hello Sarge and the group,
Both my cans had nice and bright ammo. The seals / gaskets where just fine. Now wished I had ordered more or bought more at the NS last Friday. They had lots of very nice cans of linked there. Did end up owning one can of 5 round stripper clip AP for $120.
Take care
Spin

CadillacMike
10-14-2010, 04:16 PM
TRUE, Sarge is correct.

AN/PRC-77 - anyone remember those??

AN means Army / Navy in most cases - when referring to a materiel item.

lsheldon
10-14-2010, 10:21 PM
I remember those radios. Carried one more than a few times. (if I recall correctly, we just called them a prick-77)

I didn't get to order any of the ammo everyone is talking about, but I love reading everyones post on what they are getting.

AN/PRC-77 - anyone remember those??

AN means Army / Navy in most cases - when referring to a materiel item.

CadillacMike
10-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Well, I ordered two cans. Both came in with HXP 66 nice condition with good links. One can was an M1A1, with the latch painted shut! The other was the later .30 cal can, with a rough paint finish - probably re-painted at some point. I took the linked set out and put it in another M1 can I have. The cans clean up good with some dawn and a scotchbrite pad. I then wipe then down with a rag saoked in Boeshield T9. They keep much better here in FL that way.

I'm pretty much out of spare M1/ M1A1 & 30 cal cans now so no more of these for me unless then come with a 30 cal sized can. - Yeah right :D (I just bought 250 rds belted WW2 US in an M1 can from a forum member!)

But it comes with its own can! :GS: