PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand buttplate cushion?

rbaselt
05-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Is there a commercial source for a buttplate cushion for the M1 Garand? The natural shoulder padding I had in my youth is gone, and the recoil begins to hurt after firing several clips. It might be possible to construct something with 1/4" dense foam and a good adhesive.

MXLMAX
05-27-2011, 07:32 AM
How about a shooting vest with a padded shoulder? Helps with shotgun shooting and you don't have to mess with your rifle AND you can use it with any rifle. My .02.

rbaselt
05-27-2011, 07:42 AM
Thanks, that would certainly work. But I only fire my M1 and the nearest range is in Riverside, CA where the temperature is typically 85-105, so any additional clothing is a burden.

CharlieEcho
05-27-2011, 07:42 AM
I feel your pain. I use a "Past" shooting pad. You can wear these over a T shirt or under a jacket, if the weather is warm. They slip over the shoulder and are held in place by straps, similar to a shoulder holster. They take up little space.

(edit) I believe I got mine from Midway.

bob32268
05-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Gander Mountain sells just the recoil pad to wear. Just run the
strap around the back and connect it to connector in front. Works
great with just a T-shirt.:)
Bob32268

edlmann
05-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Is there a commercial source for a buttplate cushion for the M1 Garand?

Click here (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=939577). Not a thing of beauty, but it will work.

MajWatz
05-27-2011, 09:22 AM
How about this?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=939577

Oops! Someone beat me to it :-)

MajWatz
05-27-2011, 09:30 AM
This one slips on instead of replacing steel buttplate but they want $45.00 for it......

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=932590&filter=932590&catid=0

precision40
05-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Brownells carries one.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8745/Product/SEMI_AUTO_RIFLE_RECOIL_PAD

J.R.2009
05-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Back in 2009 I was put on blood thinners. The Dr. thought it best, when shooting one of my Garands, that I use a "Sissy Pad". Well, that's what we called them in younger days.

I tried a friends strap on pad, didn't like it. Moved around too much no mater how many of the straps were tightened. Wouldn't even consider a shooting jacket with extra padding, SC summers are a killer with just a T-shirt.

So I bought a slip on pad from a local gun dealer. It's called "LimbSaver". I don't recall who made it. It's very soft rubber, goes on tight as a tick and will NOT move on the stock. In fact it's a pain to take off. Not only does it soften the recoil off the bench but helped me in the off hand position also. I guess my length of pull is a little longer than I thought.

I forgot it one week end and shot about 2 bandoleers of HXP without it. No marks on the old shoulder. I haven't used it in a while but it's in the Garand range bag. :)

Here I found it. http://www.limbsaver.com/store/home.php?cat=268

aka108
05-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Get a Past magnum recoil pad. Wear is outside your shirt like a man or inside your shirt if you think you'll be call a Wussie. These pads are great. You don't have to attach anything to you firearm/s and believe me, you can shoot hot 45-70 loads all day long and not feel it. I don't mind the recoil of Garand but without the Past pad some of my bolt actions will have me hurtin' after 15 rounds and sort of ruin the shooting day. Get one, you'll love it guaranteed.

mtd66
05-27-2011, 04:30 PM
I use Pachmayar slip-on recoil pads on all my M1's. About $15. Get the medium size. Its a little tougher to get on, but once its in place it doesn't move. Trim the rubber so it clears the butt swivel and your good to go. About a 5 minute fix.

RuggedTerrain40
05-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks, that would certainly work. But I only fire my M1 and the nearest range is in Riverside, CA where the temperature is typically 85-105, so any additional clothing is a burden.

Just curious, but is that year round? I hate cold weather, South Florida is too crowded and I'm looking for somewhere to move where it never really gets cold.

Eric

musketjon
05-28-2011, 01:02 AM
Eric,
Trust me on this one------you do NOT want to move to Commiefornia. I've been here 56 of 56 years. My wife has 7 years to go and she'll get her 30 year pin from the county of Orange. When that happens we're leaving Commiefornia and moving to the United States.
Jon

ceresco
05-28-2011, 09:59 AM
The John Masen M1 recoil pad suggested by MajWatz is a quality product at a bargain price. It extends the length, won't slip and provides an excellent pad. Not legal for "as issued' CMP matches. The Masen pad is thick--the lower butt screw won't be long enough. If you place it on an solid metal surface and carefully hammer the middle of it with a big enough hammer, you can grow it enough to make it work. Good Shooting.......

Super Duty-KTP
05-28-2011, 11:10 AM
+1 on the Limbsaver slip on. They also make one under the Winchester brand available at Wally-World for less than $25 and it too comes in a few sizes. Medium is the one you want. The Limbsaver I use on my Garands enables 65 lb 8 yr olds to shoot the Garand they play with on their video games.
WMC

RuggedTerrain40
05-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Eric,
Trust me on this one------you do NOT want to move to Commiefornia. I've been here 56 of 56 years. My wife has 7 years to go and she'll get her 30 year pin from the county of Orange. When that happens we're leaving Commiefornia and moving to the United States.
Jon

Yeah, where I'd really like to move to is Germany. But thats cold as you know what and not part of the USA (but heck, maybe the part about not being a part of the USA is a good thing nowadays?).

I gotta admit though, South Florida looks awfully good at times. Even though its overcrowded.

Eric

USMCgitmo82
05-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Brownells carries one.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8745/Product/SEMI_AUTO_RIFLE_RECOIL_PAD

thats a good one. I think you can get it at Teds rubber butt plate emporium also ;)