PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 52D and 52C

surplusshooter
06-26-2011, 11:50 PM
When the CMP put the Winchester 52D's and 52C's up for sale, I noticed that the 52D's were priced $50 dollars higher than the 52C's. Why are the 52D's worth more ? Are the 52D's a better rifle ? More accurate ? Fewer made...(rare) ?

Dollar Bill
06-27-2011, 08:04 AM
When the CMP put the Winchester 52D's and 52C's up for sale, I noticed that the 52D's were priced $50 dollars higher than the 52C's. Why are the 52D's worth more ? Are the 52D's a better rifle ? More accurate ? Fewer made...(rare) ?

I can't answer your questions but will give some observations. I've had a C for about a year and received my CMP D Friday.
The C is magazine fed, has the same trigger as a D, but the C has a barrel band at the forend and rubber pads between the barrel and forend, as well as at the receiver. The rifle is tuned by the torque on that barrel band screw, which also hold the forward sling swivel.
The D is a dedicated single shot with no receiver cut-out on the bottom. There's no rubber pads (at least on mine) and at the forend, there are two screws and blocks, in the forend, like a Remington 40X, spaced about 90 degrees apart, that vary forend pressure to tune the rifle.
The D is supposed to be the more accurate model, but my C turns out consistant 5 shot groups about .350 @ 50 yds using Wolf MT, with occasional 1/4" groups. That's with a cheap front and rear rest and a Lyman 12X STS. I'll be more than happy if the D does the same.

dave tengdin
06-28-2011, 01:25 PM
It won't. You're older now.

Cobra
06-28-2011, 01:45 PM
The similiarities between the 40X and the 52D seem to indicate Remington and Winchester closely watched each other's designs for the rifles. I just my 52D today, and was struck by how similar it is to the 40X I got in the last CMP release.
I havent' had the 52D apart yet, but am anxious to tear it down to compare actions and trigger.

BTW, how do you remove the 52D's bolt? Just briefly had a chance to look at it on my lunch hour, and couldn't figure it out.

MLHSR
06-28-2011, 01:57 PM
open the bolt and while closing hold the trigger in to decock the bolt. next take your thumb and push the trigger towards the muzzle it will move forward about 1/4" or so. keep the trigger forward and lift and pull the bolt out with other hand. put the bolt in by pushing trigger forward.

oldood
06-28-2011, 03:07 PM
now awaiting the inevitable "how to get the bolt back in" question.

Cobra
06-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Trigger forward. Ah, yes. Thank you. Oldood, just so you dont' feel cheated, please educate us on how to get the bolt back in. :D

MLHSR
06-28-2011, 03:26 PM
next will be putting the action back in the stock with the same tourqe setting.......lol..........:eek:

oldood
06-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Trigger forward. Ah, yes. Thank you. Oldood, just so you dont' feel cheated, please educate us on how to get the bolt back in. :D

Are you feeling lucky, Punk!:) Just go with "trigger forward" trick. Might work 5% of the time. If not, get back to me...I won't be cheated, damnit.

oldood
06-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Seriously, if holding the trigger forward doesn't work, put the bolt part way in. With a finger apply pressure to the top of the piece that the bolt is hitting on it's way in. While applying pressure, use your other hand to wiggle trigger front to back. You'll feel the other piece drop. Hold it down while sliding the bolt in.

MLHSR
06-28-2011, 03:58 PM
oldood that's the sear your holding down. if you need to do that pull the action fom the stock and spray with disc brake ckeaner and some type of brush. once the 50 years of gunk is gone from the sear/trigger assy. flush with zippo lighter fluid allow to drip and do not oil. same can be done to the bolt again no oil as the zippo has enough lubricant.........:)

oldood
06-28-2011, 04:19 PM
I did all that on my first 52, a D. Still, holding the trigger forward only worked about 5% of the time. Now I don't even bother but instead only do it the way I previously described. Yeah, I knew it was the sear but couldn't think of the word...typical oldood brainfreeze.

oldood
06-28-2011, 04:21 PM
BTW, did you notice I stole your "they like me more" over on RFC?

Cobra
06-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Bolt feels really gummy. Tonight I plan to strip it. On the whole, both the 52D and the 40X look pretty darn good. 40X bolt did not match S/N.
I've stripped all the bolts I've ever received on rifles from CMP, any special tricks to the 52D?

MLHSR
06-28-2011, 04:59 PM
BTW, did you notice I stole your "they like me more" over on RFC?

lol.......I have 3 coming together in the next few weeks we'll see about." mom and the smother brothers liked who best"......:)

eplexus
06-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Seriously, if holding the trigger forward doesn't work, put the bolt part way in. With a finger apply pressure to the top of the piece that the bolt is hitting on it's way in. While applying pressure, use your other hand to wiggle trigger front to back. You'll feel the other piece drop. Hold it down while sliding the bolt in.

Thanks for the tip. That's just what I needed.

surplusshooter
06-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Still, no one has answered my originally posted question about why the CMP and others price the Winchester 52D higher than the 52C. Any opinions on this ?

oldood
06-29-2011, 07:51 PM
the D is theoretically more accurate due to more rigid receiver (no magazine cutout), heavier stock (?) reworked and slightly improved trigger that I've heard is safely capable of a lighter adjustment. This is all repetition of what I've read elsewhere. You may want to consult http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_52

eplexus
06-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Maybe the "Ds" were just in better condition than the "Cs".

Fishman
06-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Still, no one has answered my originally posted question about why the CMP and others price the Winchester 52D higher than the 52C. Any opinions on this ?

Don't know the facts, but speculate: Maybe the original retail price of the 52C was less than the 52D.
Along the same lines, I was wondering why the 52D lists for more than the 40XB? It seems as though the 40XB has an edge in popularity.

Short Round
06-30-2011, 07:26 PM
I would hazard they're mostly based on gunbroker prices over the last year and one or two other sources.

I'm a tad suprised at the higher discussion traffic on the Remingtons on this board and RFC. I'm thinking there are more than a few guys only looking at the 40X barreled actions to make their own sniper training rifle. Lots of discussion last time on those boards about 40X trainers to be built. That's were the 40X bolt replacement market came from in conjunction PTG. PTG makes a lot of custom reamers for that crowd.

If I can't get a 52 I just might grab a 40X action and make my own with a McMillan marksman type stock with a handrail.