PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Scope Mounts For 1903 Springfield

Rifleman101
08-03-2011, 09:39 PM
According To The List Of Allowable Actions For Building A 1903-A4 For The Vintage Sniper Match, There Are Two - The 1903 And The 1903-A3. Can Anyone Tell Me What The Proper Allowable Scope Mounts To Fit The Round Receiver Of The 1903 Are. All Of The Reproduction Rings And Mounts That I Have Seen Are For The 1903-A3 With The Dovetail On The Rear Of The Receiver. Thank You.

Brazos
08-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Right here: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=132482

I used one on my 1903 action A4 clone.

KRAG-30-40
08-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Here's a vintage set up from Leatherwood http://postimage.org/image/cy1doa8sk :D

GunZila
08-04-2011, 12:27 AM
the leatherwood set is very cool

Rifleman101
08-04-2011, 05:09 AM
Brazos, Thank You For Your Reply, That Base Looks Great. What Rings Did You Use? While I Was Out At Camp Perry Last Week, I Attended The Hornady Vintage Sniper Clinic. According To Dave Emary Of Hornady, Two Screw Split Rings Are Not Legal For The Vintage Sniper Match. We Were Told That Only Original, Or Reproduction Rings Are Legal, Yet No Examples Were Given. There Is A Lot Of Missing Information In The Rules. The Leatherwood Setup Is Very Nice, But Like You, I Want To Set Up An 1903 A-4, And The Leatherwood Setup Is Only Legal For The 1903 A-1.

RetiredArmy
08-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Brazos, Thank You For Your Reply, That Base Looks Great. What Rings Did You Use? While I Was Out At Camp Perry Last Week, I Attended The Hornady Vintage Sniper Clinic. According To Dave Emary Of Hornady, Two Screw Split Rings Are Not Legal For The Vintage Sniper Match. We Were Told That Only Original, Or Reproduction Rings Are Legal, Yet No Examples Were Given. There Is A Lot Of Missing Information In The Rules. The Leatherwood Setup Is Very Nice, But Like You, I Want To Set Up An 1903 A-4, And The Leatherwood Setup Is Only Legal For The 1903 A-1.

The forward Rings, as issued for the 1903A4, both 3/4" and 7/8" and both vertical and horozontal split, have 4 screws; 2 on each side. The rear set of rings have 2 screws; of course, 1 on each side.

RA

Brazos
08-04-2011, 02:55 PM
I used a set of original 3/4" rings on one rifle and a set of repro 3/4" rings I got from Gibbs. Both work fine.

I also have several sets of Redfield one inch rings that I can mount on my two rifles (one a 1903, the the other an 03A3...both A4 clones) with higher magnification scopes for working up loads.

At the last gunshow in Houston I picked up a 3/4" Weaver scope made in the late 50's that is a 6X. Looks great on my rifle and its a good hunting scope as well...I like the look of the 3/4" scopes. Best $55 I have spent in a while. I used Gibbs repro rings on it as well.

As an aside...you have to buy the base and rings together from Gibbs. I am not impressed with their base. So I file it and use the new base from Midway.

Rifleman101
08-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Thank You All for Your Help With This Issue, You Have Given Me A Lot Of Information To Work With.

jgaynor
08-05-2011, 03:00 PM
One of the posters down in the section on the matches stated there did not seem to be much enforcement over the rules and he further observed that a number of rifles did not appear to be in compliance.

From following this subject it appears that some of the rules need to be simplified. Also some sections contain errors or omissions that should be corrected.

Might be a good idea to incorporate a "no double jeopardy" rule as well. For example if you competed with a particular set up this year it ould also be good next year if the competitor affirms no changes have been made.

Now is not too early to start work on the changes if there is interest.

Regards,

Jim

Rifleman101
08-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks Jim, It is getting so crazy with the rules and the cost of special equipment for a rifle that I may use a couple of times, I have decided to scrap the whole idea and just stick with Garands, M1As, and Service Rifle. Thanks for your help.