PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine with odd cartouche?

grumpa72
08-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Ok, maybe not odd except to me. Anyhow, LGS has a Postal Meter Carbine with a "FAT 32" cartouche inside a rectangular box. On top of the " fat" was a star. Would someone explain that to me. The price was $795and I was surprised at the price (high IMO). It was the only stock of the three carbines they had that looked good and/or original to me. The "FAT 32 " stock was the only one that had any cartouches or stamps on it.

They also had a paratroop for the low price of $4995!

Milsurp Collector
08-04-2011, 12:48 PM
FAT = Fabbrica d'Armi a Terni the "Springfield Armory" of Italy

My CMP IBM carbine has a FAT stamp on the stock. It was returned from Italy.

The FAT stamp can be seen on Carcano rifles made at the armory.

http://www.exordinanza.net/foto/Carcano9141marchiculatta.jpg

toadranch1
08-04-2011, 02:31 PM
It's very likely that the paratrooper carbine is 2X the true value. I've seen them for $6K before, but have "a few" that I have $2500 or less invested in.

edlmann
08-04-2011, 02:49 PM
LGS has a Postal Meter Carbine with a "FAT 32" cartouche inside a rectangular box. On top of the " fat" was a star. Would someone explain that to me. The price was $795and I was surprised at the price (high IMO). It was the only stock of the three carbines they had that looked good and/or original to me. The "FAT 32 " stock was the only one that had any cartouches or stamps on it.

I'll bet that "32" is really an "82". 32 would = 1932, which is impossible in this case.

grumpa72
08-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Thank you for your replies.

In looking at the "32", I can see how it might be an "8". Regardless, does the Italian connection do anything to the value of this rifle? Looking for a nice carbine and this shop is close enough plus they have an amazing collectionof WW II pistols, many that I have only seen in photos. Still, it is fun shopping.

With reference to the price of the Paratrooper, a while back I was looking at a Remington Model 51 .380 that he had - no bluing left, front sight missing, and a crack in one grip - I offered $250 and was told "these are scarce and valuable". I didn't buy it.

Tuna 1
08-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Having been in Italy doesn't add to the value of a carbine. But it is a CMP carbine so the value is at least what other non imports are going for.

grumpa72
08-05-2011, 12:02 AM
Having been in Italy doesn't add to the value of a carbine. But it is a CMP carbine so the value is at least what other non imports are going for.

Why do you say it is a CMP carbine? This is in a local gun shop.

lindylars
08-05-2011, 12:25 AM
The batch of carbines from about four years ago were Italian returns...most had FAT markings.

grumpa72
08-05-2011, 07:27 AM
Thank you.

edlmann
08-05-2011, 07:57 AM
. . . it is a CMP carbine . . .
Why do you say it is a CMP carbine? This is in a local gun shop.
The batch of carbines from about four years ago were Italian returns...most had FAT markings.

The only thing I'd bet on right now is that the stock is from a CMP carbine. There may also be a "FAT" stamp on the barrel under the handguard.