PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine Paratrooper

New Collector
10-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Hello, could any out there give me some info on M1 carbine's? I'm getting ready to buy a Paratrooper model and would like to know if it is a real Paratrooper. I see real stocks out there for sell and all someone has to do is put it on a gun and up the price and I would have no idea if it's real. Thank you very much for reading and any help you can give!

M1-TA
10-03-2011, 11:37 AM
There are lots of fake carbine parts and stock stamps, do not buy unless you are 110% sure everything is original or real USGI. You need someone who knows carbines to check it out before buying. There is no way to tell you what is real and what is not.

M1-TA

dragon6097
10-03-2011, 11:42 AM
IIRC, only certain serial runs were applicable to the m1a1's and only Inland made them. I am a bit confused as to what you mean by "real" though? A folding stock on any carbine would make it real...if you mean a correct or original m1a1 stock then that's a much more difficult issue.

New Collector
10-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Thank you very much for your reply and the info. I guess I would like to know if there was a range of serial numbers that came out as the Paratrooper if anyone knows that.

New Collector
10-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Also, I do mean correct and original, Thanks

J.R.2009
10-03-2011, 12:07 PM
New Collector, I just looked in my copy of War Baby! I don't see any block of serial numbers assigned to the M1A1. In 1943 Jan. saw 9900 produces, April 43 12,800, etc. I think there is a list that might have the serial number blocks assigned to the M1A1 but I don't have them or know where to find them. Maybe Brian Q will show up here and can dig some info out of the Carbine Club files for us.

Without out the serial number info and stock markings you won't know what you are getting. And it is confusing to say the least. :)

dragon6097
10-03-2011, 12:09 PM
I don't have my book handy so hopefully someone will chip in with the runs. I also want to stress what M1-TA mentioned. If someone is trying to pass off a humped stock, you have to do your research on what to look for. Stamps, leather, grommets, metal...there's alot of things to check when determining whether one is original or not.

If you can, post a bunch of pictures of all stamps, drawing numbers, markings, etc. That's about the only way to have someone here be of any help when it comes to this

New Collector
10-03-2011, 12:16 PM
The serial number of the one in question is 5240140. The price is not bad but the problem is that the smart person redone the stock. but I would think if it went out as a Paratrooper it should be worth what they are asking. Thanks for everyones help!

steelap
10-03-2011, 12:40 PM
As I recall from threads posted when the CMP was selling M1A1s, there are ranges for M1A1 production by Inland, (first run, second run, etc.), but not specific blocks of numbers.

So without the acceptance record, if such exists, it would be very hard or impossible to say that this carbine began life as an M1, while a few serial numbers over, this one began as an M1A1.

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going off memories of what people far more knowledgeable than myself posted.

Given the ease of changing out stocks, and given that carbines with WRA and IBM actions have been found in M1A1 stocks (field repair?), I don't know if you could ever be SURE, even with a CMP M1A1.

"Life is Good!"

J.R.2009
10-03-2011, 02:25 PM
The serial number of the one in question is 5240140. The price is not bad but the problem is that the smart person redone the stock. but I would think if it went out as a Paratrooper it should be worth what they are asking. Thanks for everyones help!

Hold up there. The owner "redone" the stock ? You called the seller a smart person for redoing the stock, why ? You do know the asking price and you feel its worth it, right ? Is that price over $1000.00 ?

You might want to look at the CMP auctions, past and present. A "real" M1A1, that you refer to as the Paratrooper, most folks call it either, will run well into the $1000 + range. They ain't cheap. I have seen real M1A1 stocks alone go for $600+. To pay a $1000 + dollars for a carbine that is just "called" a Paratrooper is wrong.

I suggest that you get pics, info on the internal parts, close up pics of the stock, ALL of it and post them here. The real pros can then help you with some better info.
Good luck. :)

Tuna 1
10-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Production of the first run of M1A1 carbines started in the 30,000 range of Inlands first block of serial numbers and ended early into Inlands second block in the 2.9 to 3.2 serial numbers range. The second set of M1A1 carbibes started in the 5.1 range and ended in the 6.6 range. All M1A1 carbines were made in the same serial number range as standard M1 carbines There were no records of which numbers were used for the M1A1's. No M1A1's were made after Dec. 1944. One has to be careful that the stock on an M1A1 is original and not a reproduction. Before you buy it take pictures of it as detailed as possible and post them here. Then someone here can advise you on it. Right now a real M1A1 would be selling for $2200 to $3000 depending on condition and how original it is so beware of fakes.

AEROSPACE
10-03-2011, 05:29 PM
If it is $1000. it is not authentic...

J.R.2009
10-03-2011, 06:27 PM
If it is $1000. it is not authentic...

HA! You got that right !! I was just trying to make a point. A REAL M1A1 or what ever name you call it don't come cheap. :)

M1Riflenut
10-03-2011, 07:18 PM
HA! You got that right !! I was just trying to make a point. A REAL M1A1 or what ever name you call it don't come cheap. :)

It won't come cheap if the seller knows what they have. Such is not always the case though. Just because a person says they have a chance to buy it cheap does'nt always mean it's not real. And there are ways to tell if the action has at least been in the stock for a long time. Wear and patina patterns are not the same on an action that has been living in a folder compared to a standard stock.

ulflyer
10-04-2011, 05:37 AM
And like most of todays carbines, many M1A1's went thru arsenals for repair or updating and in the process got a diff carbine installed. If so, the stock will likely to have a stamp of the arsenal. Point being, the original gun has likely been swapped out. If the seller will allow you to take detailed pictures and post them here, I'm sure some of our guru's will help you out.