PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about Steyr M95's? Possible restoration questions...

lthilsdorf
12-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Stopped at an old shop I haven't been in in awhile last weekend and I noticed an old rifle among their section of "parts" guns. It was labeled as an Steyr M95, with a caliber listed, and was being sold as "part only". The stock was cut pretty far down and thus is had no barrel bands or handguard remaining. The barrel was still in what appeared to be it's original long length. I know the bolt was a mismatch. The buttplate had some markings on the top portion that may have been a unit designation, but I know nothing about that stuff, ha! I didn't check out the bore too well since I wasn't really considering buying it, but it looked like there was some decent rifling left.

It was listed for $59. I almost thought about trying to talk them down and attempting to restore it, but I since I know nothing about the parts availability of this full length M95's I decided not to get trapped in a money pit, haha!

I guess my question is are these parts hard to find? I'd need a full stock set and all the barrel bands and whatnot. I do recall that these were originally chambered in 8x50r, so I assume finding one in that caliber would make it more valuable? How would I tell if it was in that caliber still? Is there any decent site that can school me quickly on M95 markings and whatnot? Ha!

I'm just guessing it's not worth it to buy the rifle, but I figured I'd ask first. Thanks guys! If you need more information please ask and I'll see if I remember. I'm going to be back in that area at the end of the week so I'll check it out again once I actually know what to look for.

To sum it up:

-Do you think it would be worth restoring if it has a decent bore and hasn't been cut down at all?

-If it wasn't converted to 8x56rwould it be worth restoring? Is it possible to have one that was converted but didn't get marked?

Thanks!!

joseph311
12-07-2011, 06:25 PM
SOG has them in stock. It seens to me too much to try and restore the parts gun.

Styer Model 1895 Carbine 8x56R Cal.

Availability: In stock.
$119.95

Add to Wishlist (http://www.southernohiogun.com/wishlist/index/add/product/1625/)

Product Description:

Steyr model 1895 carbines in 8x56R caliber, Mannlicher straight pull bolt, 20 barrel, 39 overall and only 7.3lbs. These were used by various European countries and some used as a secondary weapon for the Germans in WWII. These carbines are in very good to excellent condition. Curio & Relic eligible!

TRICKSTER
12-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Parts wouldn't be that hard to find, Numrich has most of what you would need. The hardest part to find would probably be the full length rifle hand guard. If you don't reload, 8x50r ammo will also be a problem.

Those converted to 8x56r should have a large S or H stamped on top of the the barrel just forward of the receiver.
Note that I state "should have", some got through without being marked.

lthilsdorf
12-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys.

I know they still sell those Carbines for pretty cheap, but I was more into the idea of a full length rifle. I actually probably wouldn't even intend to shoot it if I buy it, especially if it's in 8x50r still. Ha!

It does seem like the handguard will be difficult. I've seen a couple stocks already for fairly cheap, and the front barrel band is interchangeable with the Carbine version right? I haven't found a rear band yet, and I'm fairly certain those are different from the carbine type. So that may be tricky too. Thanks!

I figure I'll check it out at the end of the week when I'm in the area again. See if the bore is good, if it's been converted, and other information. Are there any specific markings I should look for? To find out the date it was produced, ect?

dswancutt
12-07-2011, 08:21 PM
some info on the M95 rifles

http://www.hungariae.com/Mann95.htm

M95M rifles, converted to 8mm

http://www.hungariae.com/Mann95Se.htm

Johnm1
12-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Almost all of these rifles were cut down to carbine length when they were rechambed from 8x50R to 8x56R. Although finding a long barrelled gun in the original 8x50R chambering is fairly uncommon, finding a long barrel that has been rechambered to 8x56R is a bit rarer.

The hardest thing to get will be the handguard. I have seen full length stocks for sale, but not a handguard.

I have seen several of these long rifles decommissioned by drilling the chamber.

Johnm1
12-08-2011, 10:13 AM
As far as the chambering, the barrel will be marked with an 'S' if it has been rechambered to 8x56R if it is a steyr. I believe it will be marked with an 'H' if it has the Budapest name on the barrel. These letters are normally fairly large and hard to miss and often covered the original stamping of the barrel date and proof mark.

M1950
12-08-2011, 11:04 AM
I'd get it, but that's just me. I already have a selection of rifles that need something, and it gives me a handy shopping list anytime I go to a show. I did an M95 Stutzen a few years ago. Parts are out there, some harder to find than others. A real challenge might be to make a hand guard.

lthilsdorf
12-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks guys! I got your PM Johnm1, and I'll let you know what I decide to do. If it's in 8x56r I'll probably buy it based on the bore, since I'll intend to shoot it. If it's in 8x50r I might just buy it regardless, since I don't reload and it would be neat to have.

I really like the idea of rebuilding and saving a sporterized rifle, even if it doesn't have all the collectability of an original rifle. It sounds like the most difficult part to find will be the handguard. The idea of making one might be a possibility as my father is pretty good at woodworking. I'll probably try to find an original first. I still haven't found a rear barrel band either, but hopefully I'll come across one.

Thanks guys!