PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine Flip Sight/ Real or Repo?

bubb2
01-14-2012, 04:34 PM
What do you think about the rear sight in this link?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=266389459

Newscotlander
01-16-2012, 09:39 AM
It is my opinion that it is fake. The markings do not match a known real one.

rcycles45
01-16-2012, 01:31 PM
on first glance , the base of the flip is sitting to high on one side . thats your first clue. the corners of the flip base are allittle to rounded and the texture of the metal is consistent with cast. i vote repo ! but i love that stock!!

J.R.2009
01-17-2012, 05:42 AM
I know its NOT the subject but I think the muzzle has been re-crowned also.

toadranch1
01-17-2012, 07:09 AM
If it's repro (probably), somebody has real 'talent' in making it look original finish-wise.
I agree that the front sight is awfully close to the muzzle. Maybe arsenal??, but recrowned nonetheless.

That rifle does get the heart racing though, doesn't it?

Newscotlander
01-17-2012, 11:43 AM
The auction description does mention that the barrel has been shortened by 1/4 inch.

bubb2
01-17-2012, 05:47 PM
I have the gun in my possession and have gone over it closely. It is, not counting the rear sight and the 1/4" shortened barrel, original unmessed with. The stock is a thing of unadulterated beauty. I suspect somewhere in this guns journey some owner knew the value of an original rear sight and decided to swap it out with a fake. Perhaps the owner who sold it to the pawn shop who I bought it from. The seller did provide great pictures, and I suspected the sight to be fake, but I had to have that stock.

rcycles45
01-17-2012, 06:45 PM
good luck with it , its a great looking rifle .................

Milsurp Collector
01-18-2012, 03:05 PM
I suspect somewhere in this guns journey some owner knew the value of an original rear sight and decided to swap it out with a fake.

It is possible that the carbine was upgraded in the field with an adjustable rear sight, and some subsequent civilian owner decided to "correct" it by replacing the adjustable sight with a (fake) flip sight.

bubb2
01-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Good point, and certainly posible. But were not most rear sights upgraded in the field staked with a round punch? This gun only has the original flip sight, light line staking.

wallyss
01-21-2012, 08:48 PM
The carbine looks very nice....The pics are good but really don't say much. They make a look it like a restored rifle

There aren't any good pics of the slide. I am curious on the slide type, hard to tell from the pics. Almost looks like a straight/flat cut at the rear which would be incorrect, and the joint almost looks like a type 4

On the trigger housing is there any marks from having a later Type B straight non-dog leg hammer?

The front sight has been off obviously, any type 3 / C Bayonet lug band shadows? No good pics...

The front sight looks as if it has been welded up to make it taller, for the adj sight

Looks good though

ToliverD
01-25-2012, 12:25 PM
It looks legit, but I've never seen a carbine with a sight like that. Did the seller answer any questions about it?

bubb2
01-25-2012, 02:26 PM
The seller was a pawn shop owner who said he took the gun in and really didnít know anything about it's history. He stated he tried to show in his pictures exactly what he was selling. I must disagree with the earlier opinion that the pictures don't show much. I buy a lot of carbines over the internet and this sellers picture presentation is one of the best I have seen on Gun Broker. I can't get over the guns I see for sale on GB that have pictures that are so out of focus you almost can't tell what part of the gun your looking. I also can't get over the lack of response to emailed questions about particular for sale guns. It's very difficult sometimes to get an answer to a question like "Is this gun import marked?" I chickened out bidding on one gun because I was not certain of the originality due to the fact the seller only posted one picture of the gun, the rear half of the right side. I suspected the gun was an original unmessed with late Quality Hardware yet the seller (who owned a gun shop) refused to take more pictures.