PDA

View Full Version : 5 round carbine magazines

T38Carbine
01-23-2012, 02:43 PM
I have quite a few USGI carbine 15 round mags...they all function great and some are collectable. But, I purchased two 5 round mags and they are very nice and offer a cool alternative.

I'm not often in a fire-fight and the extra rounds are seldom needed. lol

It gives the carbine a sleak look and is nice for slinged carry. And if I am instructing kids from a bench, it is much easier to lay the gun on sand bags. Mine also have the last round hold open.

So you might try them if you like to shoot M1 Carbines!!
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo187/t38carbine/carbine-2.jpg

ramit
01-23-2012, 03:27 PM
I hear ya on all points.
I have 4 or 5 of them too.
Not wanting to always use the USGI.

But I'm finding to use them reliably, I have to leave out 1 or 2 rnds, depending on the carbine.
Mine are from fulton, "Made in USA" brand.

How are your's marked?

Can you always stack'em full to 5 rnds?

Tried 'em on more than one carbine?

tnx

T38Carbine
01-23-2012, 04:28 PM
One is marked Made in USA, and the other has no markings. Got one from a gun show and the other from a little gun store. They are made and look just like USGI, except shorter.

I did have a problem with one not feeding from a full magazine. Took it apart and reversed the spring. I have used them on multiple carbines. Now I fill them both, to the TOP!!

ramit
01-23-2012, 04:41 PM
I never thought about reversing the spring, I'll give it a try, tnx.

I have 10rnd "Made in the USA" mags too, for the carbine.
Same issue, have to leave out 1 or 2 rnds.
I'll try it on them too.

Zero issues with any of the USGI 15rnders.
After the problems, I gave up on them, and they sit in an ammo can of magazines and I just use the USGIs.

T38Carbine
01-23-2012, 04:56 PM
I'll bet it works!! USGI have to have the spring installed properly as well. If they get put in reversed they will not feed either! Good luck!

T38Carbine
01-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Make sure you reverse it, front to back, not top to bottom.

ramit
01-23-2012, 07:39 PM
LOL -- thx for making sure I knew.. but I did know what you meant!

Rock
01-24-2012, 12:03 AM
I have a couple of 5 round magazines and I never remove them from my Carbines. I use the bolt hold open and load from the top like a bolt action. Saves wear and tear on the magazines.

T38Carbine
01-24-2012, 09:58 AM
That's a good idea...I'll try that!!

DaveM4P99
01-24-2012, 11:12 AM
I bought a few of these Scherer 5 round mags

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-1348-scherer-5-round-metal-m1-carbine-magazine.aspx

Haven't tried them out yet...probably won't until Spring either...

Anyone have any experience with them? How do they function? They seem well built, with strong feed lips, strong springs, and a solid feel...but I don't know how well they work.

Any thoughts??

kcarb
01-25-2012, 01:23 PM
I just started to order one from TargetSport when they wanted to charge me $16.70 shipping to the midwest for my $9.95 magazine that can't weigh more that a few ounces. I cancelled. I figured I can live without one. All the other venders appear to be out of them. TargetSport still has some. Wonder why?

ramit
01-25-2012, 02:23 PM
the boat from the far east hasn't come with a container load of 'em yet.

DaveHH
01-26-2012, 04:14 PM
made from cut down 30 rd GI mags. I have one. Sold to make the carbine a legal hunting rifle in states that limit to 5 rounds. Doesn't make sense today but when the 30s were all over, it was a viable use.

DaveM4P99
01-26-2012, 04:20 PM
made from cut down 30 rd GI mags. I have one. Sold to make the carbine a legal hunting rifle in states that limit to 5 rounds. Doesn't make sense today but when the 30s were all over, it was a viable use.

Aren't the Scherer 5 round mags new production?

Why would someone ever cut down a 30 round GI mag to make it a 5 round mag??? That is terrible!

dnikkor
01-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Aren't the Scherer 5 round mags new production?

Why would someone ever cut down a 30 round GI mag to make it a 5 round mag??? That is terrible!

They had a lot of USGI 30-rounders at the time and a need for five-round mags for hunters, sooooo. One reason there aren't as many anymore.

One way to tell if the mag was made from a 30-rounder is if it has the third "nub" that connects with the T4 mag catch. I also have one that was from a "Made in the USA" aftermarket 30-round mag.