PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or has this thought occurred to you, too?

dpd3672
02-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Occasionally, when it's really slow at work, I'll get on Gunbroker or some other forums and try to find rifles for sale that are consecutive to ones I own. An even bigger coup would be to find two with the same number (i.e. a WRA 1.6M to complement my SA 1.6M, or a SA 1.3M to complement my WRA 1.3M).

However, looking at the Garands on these sites, it scares the hell out of me that I WILL find a consecutive gun, then be forced to decide if I'm willing to pay $2000 for what's essentially a mixmaster or bubba'd CMP FG, like many are charging on these sites. Finding a consecutive gun that has the rear sight cut off and some K-Mart Tasco scope mount welded on "tankerized" and Dura Coated in black camo...the possibilities are endless, and most of them are terrifying.

I bring my "list" to the CMP whenever I make a trip to the NS, and I'm hoping I get lucky that way, but at some point, there's a chance I'll have to fork over a lot of dough for what's essentially a ruined Garand.

kollector03
02-04-2012, 03:11 PM
I've never had a consec pair, but would not actively seek it out either. An M1 is an M1 is an M1. I'm more concerned with how well does it shoot.

Now, if a consec one popped up at an attractive price, I'd probably purchase it.

Don

Keller
02-04-2012, 03:16 PM
I do the same thing and wonder how I could justify an over priced garand to myself even if it consecutive. I have finally put a dollar limit on how high I might be willing to go and don't even look at those with a starting price above that. I would just sit in anguish seeing a consecutive serial number for more than I could pay and watch it for a week.

milboltnut
02-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Guess just browse at the North store until you find what you need. I saw a couple of post war Garands here on the forum that were really close to mine.

dicel87
02-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Never really hunted consecutive SNs. The only SNs I have really hunted for are ones that were made in the month/year of my parents birth - October 40 and April 41.

So far I have only one but when you want a very specific thing you usually pay a premium....which I did. :o

abeal
02-04-2012, 03:45 PM
I had my list at the NS today and found 3 rifles within 100 on the serial number. Probably the closest I have come is with 25.

Radionicist
02-04-2012, 03:52 PM
I was at the North Store last year when a guy found a consecutive pair a few rifles apart from each other in the racks. I likely had handled both but was too stupid to remember the serial numbers. :)

Dstout
02-04-2012, 04:27 PM
I know where you are coming from. The closest I have found is one that was 31 away, which is still cool but not quite there. The prices and quality of the M1 at gun shows around here is mind boggling to say the very least. I always go but have never found a single one that has tempted me to buy it.

dpd3672
02-04-2012, 04:28 PM
I know where you are coming from. The closest I have found is one that was 31 away, which is still cool but not quite there. The prices and quality of the M1 at gun shows around here is mind boggling to say the very least. I always go but have never found a single one that has tempted me to buy it.

My closest 2 are 128 apart, which is cool to me, but much less impressive to anyone else, haha. Probably made the same day, but it doesn't quite have the "wow factor" that consecutives do. Finding a WRA and SA with the SAME serial number would be awesome...that's one I'd probably bite the bullet and buy Bubba's overpriced gun for.

GarandGrabber
02-04-2012, 04:38 PM
I was at the North Store last year when a guy found a consecutive pair a few rifles apart from each other in the racks. I likely had handled both but was too stupid to remember the serial numbers. :)

It happened during nationals a couple years back at the NS. In 6 million or so #'s...that dude should have gone out and bought a lotto ticket. But to answer your question..It's just you..;)

musketjon
02-04-2012, 05:38 PM
The closest I have come is with my tractor gun. It's the next in line from one in Duff's blue book.
Jon

mcpo
02-04-2012, 06:18 PM
My one and only M1 is 5-years younger than me...to the month. Never asked for that, just luck of the draw.

mac9990
02-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Thankfully I don't have the funding for this whole new level of sickness;) I would sell mine as a consecutive number though! I could get me a few more to replace it.:D

415DET
02-04-2012, 08:33 PM
I was lucky enough to find a consecutive at the Western Games this year and I have thought about what I would do if I found one to make a hat trick. That thought soon passes as I know I am not THAT lucky....
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/415det/M1%20Correct%20Grade/IMG_0310.jpg

Fogtripper
02-04-2012, 09:12 PM
I bring my "list" to the CMP whenever I make a trip to the NS, and I'm hoping I get lucky that way, but at some point, there's a chance I'll have to fork over a lot of dough for what's essentially a ruined Garand.

I met a guy once at the NS who had a list (a considerable list at that). I wonder if it was you...

dpd3672
02-05-2012, 02:03 AM
I met a guy once at the NS who had a list (a considerable list at that). I wonder if it was you...

If by "considerable" it was full of owned rifles, it wasn't I, sadly.

I do usually bring a "cheat sheet" with some notes, a wish list, and a list of the rifles I own to look for consecutive numbers. I usually have a big DSLR and I'm alternating between my cheat sheet and Duff's data sheets book.

Jim S.
02-05-2012, 08:12 AM
I picked up a nice correct grade at the North Store last spring and happened to see its mate on the CSP list. It took a while but I found the owner who graciously sold it to me. It is a Service Grade that went to Greece and was rebuilt there, although it does have the original barrel.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n639/schinnerj/HRA%20pair/P1010145.jpg

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n639/schinnerj/HRA%20pair/P1010147.jpg (http://forums.thecmp.org/)

twobravo
02-06-2012, 09:18 AM
My SA's FG #89 from the NS, SG #88 from a CMP member. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/TwoBravo/0185.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/TwoBravo/l.jpg

kilroywashere
02-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Never really hunted consecutive SNs. The only SNs I have really hunted for are ones that were made in the month/year of my parents birth - October 40 and April 41.

So far I have only one but when you want a very specific thing you usually pay a premium....which I did. :o

I have my Mom's rifle. It is a Nov. 1955 HRA. It is also a correct.

136th TFS
02-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Occasionally, when it's really slow at work, I'll get on Gunbroker or some other forums and try to find rifles for sale that are consecutive to ones I own. An even bigger coup would be to find two with the same number (i.e. a WRA 1.6M to complement my SA 1.6M, or a SA 1.3M to complement my WRA 1.3M).

However, looking at the Garands on these sites, it scares the hell out of me that I WILL find a consecutive gun, then be forced to decide if I'm willing to pay $2000 for what's essentially a mixmaster or bubba'd CMP FG, like many are charging on these sites. Finding a consecutive gun that has the rear sight cut off and some K-Mart Tasco scope mount welded on "tankerized" and Dura Coated in black camo...the possibilities are endless, and most of them are terrifying.

If this is the most important thing in your life you have to worry about, condider yourself a very lucky man.

kilroywashere
02-06-2012, 03:07 PM
If this is the most important thing in your life you have to worry about, condider yourself a very lucky man.

It is a light-hearted thread where the original member who posted made an observation. Doesn't everyone need to escape from those "important things" in life once in a while? Don't be a "Richard."

136th TFS
02-06-2012, 04:41 PM
It is a light-hearted thread where the original member who posted made an observation. Doesn't everyone need to escape from those "important things" in life once in a while? Don't be a "Richard."
I think that some of these people are dead serious when they post this stuff. Just look at when the CMP posts something good for sale such as the .22 sights recently, how much unnecessary by serious email it genetates.

dhuze
02-06-2012, 05:49 PM
I know there is one before one of mine that is in the GCA Journal. If I find one that is consecutive and for sale at a reasonable price I'd buy it. If they want too much I can go without.

reelguy
02-06-2012, 08:04 PM
i have 999,999 and now just need 1,000,000
:cool::cool:

Roadkingtrax
02-06-2012, 08:15 PM
My SA's FG #89 from the NS, SG #88 from a CMP member. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/TwoBravo/0185.jpg

You can really see they are a set, in form and function. The stamps are both not as deep...and the bright ears really matches them up perfectly.

I wonder if they like the same Greek ammo lot and year? :D

dpd3672
02-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Plenty to worry about in the day to day life, but my escape isn't worrying about what college my kids will get into, or whether or not I'll ever get equity in my house, or if that mole is really cancer...it's fiddling with antique guns. There's more than enough time spent with these "real" concerns, sometimes we all need a diversion, right?

I probably spend about as much time worrying about it as some guys would spend on the golf course, tuning their cars, or watching football. Most of us wouldn't be here if we didn't.

jerryjeff
02-07-2012, 12:11 AM
I've collected a lot of ser. nos. (although I've kind of lost interest in it lately). I have found numbers on Gunbroker that were consecutive to rifles owned by CMP members and some from Battlerifles(and old list). Here's one that a buddy obtained that matches a Battle rifles number.

3,238,460 Ed's br****Consecutive
3,238,461 Pirate765 Battlerifles SA

That barreled receiver is long gone now.

captaincalc
02-07-2012, 07:52 AM
I "found" sn "240,xyz + 1" at the NS some years back to go along with my "240,xyz" carbine. Thing just jumped out at me (weird) - only one I looked at that day (guardian angel?" "Rod Sterling?") . Now I have two of the goofballs taking up safe-space. Also saw (another trip) a trio of Mossberg 44's there on the rack - called them to the attn of the guys behind the counter and think they may have ended up on the auction later. I do carry my list, not necessarily for that quest.

Mac O tac
02-09-2012, 05:49 AM
I think that some of these people are dead serious when they post this stuff. Just look at when the CMP posts something good for sale such as the .22 sights recently, how much unnecessary by serious email it genetates.

Ehhh, ...O.K. I'll bite, This is the Garand forum. Have not seen any .22 sights up in here. Atleast they don't routinely spend their time critisizing everyone else and genetating? superflous inputs. Geeze, all these negative vibes. :rolleyes:

Several years ago, I picked up a second M1911 that was made within a week of one that I already owned. It is kinda cool but, since then I started focusing on easier purchases that stay in my range. I also avoid good deals in calibers that I do not already own. Consecutive numbers could enhance the value of the two rifles. But, I have no plans to sell off any of my humble collection. So, the resale value is not a very big issue as long as it is not a purchase that puts me upside down on a gun. I keep most if not all my numbers in my head. A second visit after double checking "the list" to a table is a sure sign of high interrest. I doubt I will see one that is in consecutive sequence and even less of a chance of running into something like a WRA & SA duplicate, which is possible too. If I do, I'm thinking the seller of the second gun will be that last one to know about it.

The conversation would probably start with: "What Bubba went and stamped an "A" at the end of the serial number?!!!" Or, "Don't you know that just about anyone can jump through the hoops and become a CMP member. Then, buy a nicer Field Grade! for half that?" And, "Whoever that guy named LEAD is, should have never scratched his name and date on the side of the receiver like that. Even if I spent two hundred dollars on a repark job it would NOT! make THAT! go away!" :rolleyes:

A retired TSgt with four kids and a mortgage has to keep in mind what time it is at all times.

Good Luck to You, and don't forget the pics cause lightning does strike from time to time.

Mac out