PDA

View Full Version : O3A4 remakes from Gibbs

airforceshooter
02-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Has anyone have an experience with this rifle?
http://www.gibbsrifle.com/1903-a4_sniper_rifle.html

GregM
02-05-2010, 05:28 AM
Boy thats a can of worms. Don't know how many replies you'll get here, but there's several people who either own or have handled the Gibbs rifle at www.surplusrifle.com. Look for Chuckindenver in the US rifle section. I thought about one as a shooter myself since I can't afford the real thing, but general consensus is stay away from the Gibbs remakes, they're not put together very well and the scopes are chinese pieces of...well...wal-mart quality. Most would recommend finding a receiver already drilled and build your own repro sniper from there.

GregM

bamos
02-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Long discussion with input from the manufacturer here:

http://www.thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3660&highlight=m1903a4

wilbur46
02-10-2010, 08:17 PM
newest shotgun news has a nice article. conclusion--shoots as well as an original. Regards

Surculus
02-10-2010, 09:24 PM
April ed. of GUNS has a writeup by Mike Venturino. Said he paid the dosh to keep his test rifle [you know they sent him a pick-o-the-litter sample tho', & it still had some minor faults], but I'd suggest reading the article yourself.

writeup (http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/GUNS/GUNS0410/?page=54)

Navlav8r
02-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Venturino mentions his Gibbs rifle/scope combo again in the latest Rifle magazine but doesn't say much more about it other than the scope has withstood several hundred rounds w/o problem. Says the same about a repro from Numrich.

Val Forgett
02-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Boy thats a can of worms. Don't know how many replies you'll get here, but there's several people who either own or have handled the Gibbs rifle at www.surplusrifle.com. Look for Chuckindenver in the US rifle section. I thought about one as a shooter myself since I can't afford the real thing, but general consensus is stay away from the Gibbs remakes, they're not put together very well and the scopes are chinese pieces of...well...wal-mart quality. Most would recommend finding a receiver already drilled and build your own repro sniper from there.

GregM

Greg:

So, what you're saying is you've never actually had one in your hands, but you are qualified to say they are not put together very well and the Chinese made scopes are of low quality...

I realize that I may come across as a bit forward leaning in my defense of my products, but I am tired of people on chat boards that I visit bashing my products on a heresay basis. I am extremely proud of our 1903A4's, they are extremely well made and shoot as well, if not better, than the original guns. Do they shoot as well as today's modern snipers, of course not, just as a perfectly rebuilt 1966 Mustang will not perform as well as a modern sports car.

Anyone who has ever had an issue with any of my products needs merely to email or call us and we take care of it.

Its public, but folks, my direct email to my desk is forgett@mindspring.com

If something is wrong with a gun I make, I want to know about it. But if you have not ever owned or shot one, please, don't bash it based on heresay. Its akin to saying 'I heard you stopped beating your wife'...

That is all I have to say on this.

Sad Sack
02-18-2010, 06:43 PM
A 66 Mustang with a big block motor would suck a modern sports car out its tail pipe.

ramit
02-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Val,

I caught "Impossible Shots" last night on the outdoor channel.

Honestly, very nice thing you " did done there" with the WWII sniper Vet.

Wes_VB
02-19-2010, 06:18 AM
Val,

I caught "Impossible Shoots" last night on the outdoor channel.

Honestly, very nice thing you " did done there" with the WWII sniper Vet.
I missed the show. Hopefully they run it again.
Here is a link to the story. (http://www.shootingusa.com/IMPOSSIBLE_SHOTS/IS_SNIPER/is_sniper.html)

And Val, Thank you for participating in this!!!!

Garand Bubba
02-19-2010, 01:42 PM

Guys,

I have had several opportunities to handle the rifle. I found the optics to be very acceptable and clear. The scope knobs were very crisp and not overall hard to adjust.

The finish of both the rifle and stock were excellent. The operation of the bolt was smooth as was the trigger let off. This same assessment applied to not one but several rifles that I have handled.

In fact, I am looking to buy the optics to use for a future build.

Bubba:D

GregM
02-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Greg:

So, what you're saying is you've never actually had one in your hands, but you are qualified to say they are not put together very well and the Chinese made scopes are of low quality...

I realize that I may come across as a bit forward leaning in my defense of my products, but I am tired of people on chat boards that I visit bashing my products on a heresay basis. I am extremely proud of our 1903A4's, they are extremely well made and shoot as well, if not better, than the original guns. Do they shoot as well as today's modern snipers, of course not, just as a perfectly rebuilt 1966 Mustang will not perform as well as a modern sports car.

Anyone who has ever had an issue with any of my products needs merely to email or call us and we take care of it.

Its public, but folks, my direct email to my desk is forgett@mindspring.com

If something is wrong with a gun I make, I want to know about it. But if you have not ever owned or shot one, please, don't bash it based on heresay. Its akin to saying 'I heard you stopped beating your wife'...

That is all I have to say on this.

I think I made myself clearthat I have spoken with people that have owned and handled Gibbs rifles, and THEIR consensus is that its not put together well i.e. poor stock fit, scope mount not mounted straight, large gaps, etc.

Val has NEVER confirmed or denied that these rifles are build on rebuilt drill rifle receivers. So what if they are, I don't have a real problem with that, but just friggin be honest about what you are doing because to some, it matters.

The scope, as of last account, had the knobs reversed. Again it doesn't matter to me, but don't you think this guy oughta be told this tidbit by someone? Anyone? He might get it and be VERY ********ed about it.

Again, this is a public forum where people come to get opinions, and everyone has 'em. My opinion, from many accounts of people that have bought them, pictures they're posted, is they are not put together very well. I would build my own using GI parts, and yeah that might take some time to round everything up AND be more expensive.

Val, if you have a problem with someone expressing their opinion about your rifle, you need to take it to a PM. Getting your panties in a wad in a post is not the place for it.

GregM

ramit
02-19-2010, 04:23 PM
From the peanut gallery here on the sidelines....

Actually I thought in Val's recent post he did say they were made from drill rifle receivers and openly discussed it .......

http://www.thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?p=29086#post29086

"These guns are built from 1903A3 drill guns. That being said, there has been tons of posts in many forums (and at gun shows, clubs, etc). about the safety and reliability of drill guns. Perhaps not many people know the background of the Forgett's and drill guns."

and even...

http://www.thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?p=30122#post30122
"Bob makes a very fair point. We are updating our site before ShotShow to reflect new pricing and products (hint, hint...). I will make it a point to make part of that update to clarify both the reciever issue and, just as important, WHY reactivated drill guns are safe. Heck, I may even find a vintage pic of the old man with some reactivated Thompsons or something..."

If you want to express your opinions openly about the rifle = you have every right too... In the same mind set.... I don't see why Val should have to go to a PM to defend or address those publicly made opinions......

ChadC
02-19-2010, 06:21 PM
It's on again on Saturday afternoon....

I missed the show. Hopefully they run it again.
Here is a link to the story. (http://www.shootingusa.com/IMPOSSIBLE_SHOTS/IS_SNIPER/is_sniper.html)

And Val, Thank you for participating in this!!!!

steelap
02-19-2010, 06:39 PM
If you want to express your opinions openly about the rifle = you have every right too... In the same mind set.... I don't see why Val should have to go to a PM to defend or address those publicly made opinions......

I agree - if you post your opinion in public - a defense can be made in public.

"Life is Good!"

CaptainMagic
02-19-2010, 06:48 PM
I agree - if you post your opinion in public - a defense can be made in public.

"Life is Good!"

+9,000,000,000,000 or the national debt. Whichever is larger.

E-7Ret.
02-19-2010, 07:48 PM
I don't have a dog in this hunt and heck, even if I could buy one(they're a pretty neat rifle) being catastrophically left-handed, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it(Saving Pvt.Ryan aside). This is just my opinion from reading all the posts in this thread but, I don't think Val deserves ration of feces he's gotten over a rifle he's been honest in representing here.
As for the quality of these rifles, I have the newest Shotgun News in front of me and Paul Scarlata did a writeup on it. He was very impressed with the quality, finish and authenticity of the rifle. He did have some reservations about the scope but, at the range it ran sub-2" groups with hornady Amax and 1.5 to 2.5" groups with M2 Ball. Doesn't sound too shabby to me.

It seems that anytime a bunch of extremely knowledgable people start looking at a Replica, the Scalpals mysteriously appear and the rifle gets a quick Vasectomy. Sure, it's no 1903A4, it's just an honest representation and, from what I see, a pretty good one considering what it's being judged against.

Now, the forum made some good points and, Val put up a brilliantly honest and effective defense. He made no bones about where the receivers came from. Actually, I found that part a little humorous as a few months back, I was attacked for saying M1 Drill rifles shouldn't be fired by alot of you guys.
I never saw so many Metallurgical Engineers come out of the woodwork so fast in all my life!!

Give the man a break guys. He's an honest businessman.

ceresco
02-19-2010, 10:57 PM
At one time a large number of 1903s were almost destroyed. Val Forgett and others have brought them back and saved them for the generations to come. Even if they aren't perfect, I don't have a problem with that. Good Shootng........

coffindancer
02-20-2010, 08:08 AM
http://www.thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?p=30122#post30122
"Bob makes a very fair point. We are updating our site before ShotShow to reflect new pricing and products (hint, hint...). I will make it a point to make part of that update to clarify both the reciever issue and, just as important, WHY reactivated drill guns are safe. Heck, I may even find a vintage pic of the old man with some reactivated Thompsons or something..."

ShotShow is over. Just looked at Gibbs site. Don't see any mention of his replica M1903A4 being constructed from re-activated rifles and why they are "safe". I'm just asking, but if the receivers are welded on, how are they safe to fire?

ramit
02-20-2010, 08:40 AM
FYI, Read the entire thread of the posts above to answer the rest of your Q's.

From following those past threads, as mentioned by E-7Ret, Val spent time addressing just that Q imho.

coffindancer
02-20-2010, 09:30 AM
FYI, Read the entire thread of the posts above to answer the rest of your Q's.

From following those past threads, as mentioned by E-7Ret, Val spent time addressing just that Q imho.

I did read the thread.

What about the buyers that aren't privy to his addressing this issue on the various gun boards? The man said he was going to update his website before the ShotShow. Is it updated?

"Are there drill guns that are not safe to reactivate? Yes. Are the drill guns we use safe to reactivate? Yes."

They're safe because he says so? You may trust Mr Forgetts' word with your life, not me.

ramit
02-20-2010, 09:38 AM
In reading the threads, then it is your educated choice to make.

E-7Ret.
02-20-2010, 10:26 AM
coffindancer makes a valid point. Val did say he'd put the info up and hasn't. I sent him an E-mail this AM reminding him of the statement he made here. Let's see what transpires before we start organizing any Lynchmobs.

ramit
02-20-2010, 11:08 AM
yup, that point is for Val to answer...

just didn't, or has a webmaster for hire that drags his feet.........

Pepper
02-20-2010, 04:52 PM

So, other then Val, no one here actually has any experience with one. If there is, I have some questions that I would like to ask them.

Val Forgett
02-21-2010, 08:54 PM
I think I made myself clearthat I have spoken with people that have owned and handled Gibbs rifles, and THEIR consensus is that its not put together well i.e. poor stock fit, scope mount not mounted straight, large gaps, etc.

Val has NEVER confirmed or denied that these rifles are build on rebuilt drill rifle receivers. So what if they are, I don't have a real problem with that, but just friggin be honest about what you are doing because to some, it matters.

The scope, as of last account, had the knobs reversed. Again it doesn't matter to me, but don't you think this guy oughta be told this tidbit by someone? Anyone? He might get it and be VERY ********ed about it.

Again, this is a public forum where people come to get opinions, and everyone has 'em. My opinion, from many accounts of people that have bought them, pictures they're posted, is they are not put together very well. I would build my own using GI parts, and yeah that might take some time to round everything up AND be more expensive.

Val, if you have a problem with someone expressing their opinion about your rifle, you need to take it to a PM. Getting your panties in a wad in a post is not the place for it.

GregM

Greg:

I am actually quite pleased at your post above as it just points out the fact you have never actually held my gun in your hand, yet feel compelled to pass judgement on it. Briefly:

1. You state "Val has NEVER confirmed or denied that these rifles are build on rebuilt drill rifle receivers. So what if they are, I don't have a real problem with that, but just friggin be honest about what you are doing because to some, it matters."

I actually have addressed this issue, directly and completely. For your benefit, they are built on drill guns and the details of which have been expressed, in detail, by me on this board and is going on the Gibbs site as well under our new update currently being done.

2. "The scope, as of last account, had the knobs reversed. Again it doesn't matter to me, but don't you think this guy oughta be told this tidbit by someone? Anyone? He might get it and be VERY ********ed about it."

Again Greg, if you actually ever had a gun in your hand, you would know the sight adjustment instructions are actually in the manual. Somehow, Mike Venturino, a man who actually has HELD AND SHOT THE GUN, figured this out on his own. In fact, rather than send his gun back (which, despite popular myth, we do not give guns to gunwriters), elected to pay for his and keep it. I cannot think of a higher honor than a man like Duke, who has seen more guns than Hugh Hefner has seen pretty girls, wanting to keep my rifle.

3. "Again, this is a public forum where people come to get opinions, and everyone has 'em. My opinion, from many accounts of people that have bought them, pictures they're posted, is they are not put together very well. Val, if you have a problem with someone expressing their opinion about your rifle, you need to take it to a PM. Getting your panties in a wad in a post is not the place for it."

I have no problem with someone expressing THEIR opinion. But, you are not doing that, you are spreading false information from a 2nd source and saying my rifle is not well put together. That's not your opinion, that is someone else's who you have no idea if THEY have ever even held my gun.

I enjoy the fact you are telling me not to 'get my panties in a wad in a post is not the place for it'. Well, you brought it here son, you attacked my gun. Don't act all shocked that I actually defend my rifles.

You remind me of the guy who talks crap about someone not realizing they are standing right behind you, then when confronted says "Hey, what are you getting all upset about?"

In 25 years of making and selling guns, plenty of people have contacted me about an issue they have had with my guns, and we fix those problems. In 100% of those times, the people making the complaint have actually held and used the gun. For those people, I have all the time in the world to hear their complaints.

People like you, who have never held the gun in their own hand, yet feel free to rip the gun apart, are what make boards like this unpleasant for everyone. You add nothing of value to the discussion. If you had the gun and you had, firsthand, had an issue, then you would be of tremendous value to this board.

I don't need to bother Orest with things like this. Hell, he's no different than you in that he has never held my rifle, so he is no more qualified than you are to pass judgement on this issue.

Greg, I mean this sincerely, go to a gunshow to see my guns, or come to the NRA show if you can, and come to my booth and handle my rifles. THEN, please, feel free to post here YOUR opinions, not someone elses, your opinion.

In that situation, everyone wins. If you like my guns, which I think after seeing them yourself, you would, great. If not, then you are providing a genuine service to fellow CMP members (myself included), to let us know what YOU see.

Val Forgett
02-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Oh, and our webmaster is not dragging their feet, more like digging out from snow, which those of you who live in the Mid-Atlantic know how much we had the last 2 weeks.

We are genuinely behind about 3 weeks on all fronts, this one included. Bottom line is that information will be on our site.

Val Forgett
02-21-2010, 09:02 PM
I did read the thread.

What about the buyers that aren't privy to his addressing this issue on the various gun boards? The man said he was going to update his website before the ShotShow. Is it updated?

"Are there drill guns that are not safe to reactivate? Yes. Are the drill guns we use safe to reactivate? Yes."

They're safe because he says so? You may trust Mr Forgetts' word with your life, not me.

Its not my word, its Rockwell hardness tests and tens of thousands of guns done. And, I know this is a crazy idea and everything, but building guns that are not safe and put customers lives at risk is not a great business model. We have been in business for over 50 years, so we have done a pretty good job at building guns that are safe...

Rondog
02-21-2010, 11:30 PM
I've never seen, held or fired one of your rifles either, but I'd like to!

MXLMAX
02-22-2010, 06:38 AM
Val,
AIM Surplus list your rifle as, "Sold Out". Where can I get one?
Randy

Bill Ricca
02-22-2010, 10:38 AM
I have never shot the rifle, but I have handled some at gun shows. What I like about these rifles is Val had the forethought to mark each rifle and component as his production. The problems with current production items is many of the fakes are designed to convince everybody that they are legit. As much as items are exposed, 50 years from now many fakes will be considered legit. I see it all the time with fake slings and field gear from the 1970's.

As I am dedicated to the history of actual Ordnance production, I admire Val's markings and his ability to see the potential problems in the future.

With current technology and some of the "aged" items I have been seeing at gun shows, today anything can be made to look almost 100%.

Val Forgett
02-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Val,
AIM Surplus list your rifle as, "Sold Out". Where can I get one?
Randy

We've been back ordered constantly since we started production. Having Duke's article in GUNS, Scarlotta's article in SGN and ShootingUSA featuring it this past week has made back orders even deeper.

I am going out to additional sourcing for manufacture as we are maxed right now. The issue is ensuring that whoever we outsource to can keep the quality level. (Yes, we actually care about quality!).

In addition, Criterion ran out of barrels and the next batch of guns I had to buy original 4-groove barrels from SARCO just to keep from falling hopelessly behind. (Yes, you can throw rocks at me for removing the original markings on these 100 and putting the Gibbs markings on, that's a legit complaint by purists and I'll take it...)

Our distributors are AIM, Centerfire Systems and Zanders. New shipments in about 2 weeks.

AutoFan
02-22-2010, 08:48 PM
A 66 Mustang with a big block motor would suck a modern sports car out its tail pipe.

As much as I personally love old pony cars and muscle cars, that statement is simply not true. Modern sports cars have 0-60 times in the 4-5 second range. Their handling is typically around 0.9 G's and will stop from 60 in a 100 feet or so.

Back to the OP question, I have not heard of any catastrophic failures with these rifles, unlike M1A's, AR-15s and a few assorted other rifles, including other bolt actions. If they were dangerous, I think we would hear of such problems.

coffindancer
02-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Its not my word, its Rockwell hardness tests and tens of thousands of guns done. And, I know this is a crazy idea and everything, but building guns that are not safe and put customers lives at risk is not a great business model. We have been in business for over 50 years, so we have done a pretty good job at building guns that are safe...

Let's see your test's, your guidelines for culling a receiver, your quality procedures. If I can't see it, I'm just taking your word for it. Yes or no? They may very well be just as fine as you say they are. For someone as proud as you are about your products, I think you would be glad to show off your process of turning a drill rifle into a replica arm.

I am no metallurgist, just someone who has been told ump-teen thousand times, refurbished drill rifles are unsafe.

UncleWilly
02-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Just curious. To be fair to all concerned, did you demand Rockwell test data from the ump-teen thousand people who claimed the guns are unsafe? Just saying . . . .

coffindancer
02-24-2010, 05:21 AM
Just curious. To be fair to all concerned, did you demand Rockwell test data from the ump-teen thousand people who claimed the guns are unsafe? Just saying . . . .

I don't believe I demanded anything.

For thirty years I've been told, by those who collect milsurps, that restored drill rifles make good wall hangers, but are unsafe to fire. I put this akin to the same advice given about low numbered M1903's and shooting modern powders in Damascus barrels. People shoot low numbered M1903's all the time. Some of these receivers were pressed into duty for WWII. Am I going to place my eyeball behind the rear sight and pull the trigger on a live round? No.

I'm not selling a product that runs against the grain of what has been passed down for decades as good advice. Mr Forgett is.

UncleWilly, would you ask safety related questions when contemplating a purchase on something you believe could be dangerous?

UncleWilly
02-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Sure I would. But my beliefs that something is dangerous would be based on more than unsubstantiated rumor. Some of the worst reasons for believing anything are those based on long repeated hearsay. Since this company has been selling thousands of these rifles, if they were unsafe, I would have expected reports of actual failures to have come up in the forums. We are such a litigious society the lawsuits for injuries or false advertising would have been all over the gun community. Since these reports haven't come up and since no one has reported taking one and finding flaws through actual testing, I think the majority of the evidence is in their favor. To all: I don't own one or plan to because I already have a really nice CMP 03A3, but I think this company deserves a fair break and shouldn't be subjected to undocumented claims their products are unsafe. If anyone HAS seen actual test data showing their products are unsafe, PLEASE post them here for us.

ChadC
02-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Yeah, really. Well said.

Hacker
02-24-2010, 07:12 PM
From Val in the other thread....pretty much says it all:

The bottom line is this. The means in which 1903A3's were deactivated and welded in no way negatively effects the hardness or safety of the receiver. I know this both from Rockwelling recievers, as well as what it takes to drill and tap them. I will not argue or debate this point further because nobody on this board, or anywhere else, has worked with as many drill guns as myself, my father and his father. In 55 years of this business, we have never experienced a failure of a reactivated drill receiver on rifle or machinegun. Ever.

CaptainMagic
02-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Val could make that great statement all day every day. It just will not matter, some people just want to hate.

cannonshooter
02-24-2010, 07:31 PM
how many of the nay sayers here have ever actually dealt with navy arms or gibbs? if you did you would know that if you ever had a problem with one of their weapons they made it right like they did with a smith carbine i bought off them. it was one of the backwards bored guns(looser at the muzzle than at breech). they after being contacted took the smith back and had it repaired at no charge. if they were what some on here claim they are why after all these years are they still in business? to mr. forgett i had the privilage of meetting your father several times at ft shenadoah and the only reason i no longer do business with navy arms is i can no longer buy direct and the cost has become prohibitive. if you dont think the products being sold are sound dont buy them but until there is hard evidence that they arent all you are doing is besmirching a companies name.
matt
usmc 1988- 1995

coffindancer
02-25-2010, 08:18 AM
I've never said anything negative about Mr Forgett or his products. All I wanted to see was information on his process of safely converting drill rifles to firing examples. If what he has presented on this forum is good enough for you, then godspeed, fair winds and following seas.

If trying to err on the side of safety is being a nay sayer, count me in.

jgaynor
02-25-2010, 12:45 PM

Several people who have bought them and reported on various forums have stated:

1. The assembly could be better - screws were loose (e.g. scope mounts). When things were tightened up the rifle performed acceptably.
2. In one case the rear guard screw appeared to be missing. It was found loose in the carton.
3. The adjustment knobs on the scope were reversed according to the account Gibbs informed the customer "they were all made that way".

To all acounts they seem to shoot fairly well. However the scope is a copy of a relatively primitive design. If someone is really looking for a tack driver there are much better platforms (for about the same price) than any milsurp or replica.

On the other hand if you have your heart set on owning a rifle that looks like an A4 the price is difficult to beat.

Regards,

Jim

Val Forgett
02-25-2010, 05:50 PM
I've never said anything negative about Mr Forgett or his products. All I wanted to see was information on his process of safely converting drill rifles to firing examples. If what he has presented on this forum is good enough for you, then godspeed, fair winds and following seas.

If trying to err on the side of safety is being a nay sayer, count me in.

Its a fair question, particularly in light of just how deep this myth is.

When we purchased the drill guns, we did a Rockwell hardness test of a sampling of them and determined that they were all nearly identical in hardness and, more importantly, nearly identical in hardness to 1903A3's that had not been made into drill guns. We also know from all the carbine drill bits and tapping screws we have chewed up just how hard all of them are!

I do not know the origins of the myth of the unsafe drill gun, but have heard it for decades and recall my father being highly dismissive of it. (Based on the reasons I have posted previously). I also know that myths are made from the continued passing along of false information to the point where it becomes just that, myth. As we all know from watching shows like Mythbusters, some myths are true, but many, many of them are not.

I would not build unsafe guns for any reason, and I understand how people would be concerned for their safety. But, yes, we would not be in business long if we were building guns that were unsafe. I am proud of what we build and will defend them against unfair attacks. Just as important, I will listen to legitimate concerns or problems and do everything I can to correct them.

themeowman
02-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Val
Thank you for your continued willingness to post answers to tough
questions. Your candor is appreciated.
Tom

coffindancer
02-26-2010, 07:01 AM
Its a fair question, particularly in light of just how deep this myth is.

When we purchased the drill guns, we did a Rockwell hardness test of a sampling of them and determined that they were all nearly identical in hardness and, more importantly, nearly identical in hardness to 1903A3's that had not been made into drill guns. We also know from all the carbine drill bits and tapping screws we have chewed up just how hard all of them are!

I do not know the origins of the myth of the unsafe drill gun, but have heard it for decades and recall my father being highly dismissive of it. (Based on the reasons I have posted previously). I also know that myths are made from the continued passing along of false information to the point where it becomes just that, myth. As we all know from watching shows like Mythbusters, some myths are true, but many, many of them are not.

I would not build unsafe guns for any reason, and I understand how people would be concerned for their safety. But, yes, we would not be in business long if we were building guns that were unsafe. I am proud of what we build and will defend them against unfair attacks. Just as important, I will listen to legitimate concerns or problems and do everything I can to correct them.

Thank you, Mr Forgett.

MH53Gunner
03-13-2010, 08:40 AM
I have a serious problem with Val's reproduction 1903 rifle.

It is darn hard to find one in stock.:cry:

For those who have not seen this rifle, I can offer that the finish and assembly is excellent. The reproduction optics are crisp and clear.

A job well done!

richyoung
03-15-2010, 02:20 PM

Uh...no. After the first corner? Ultimate death-star-of-doom no. Red-line fiberglass belted bias-ply tires alone would cripple it.

dpfan
04-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Gibb's website seems to be down - are they still producing 1903A4's? It wasn't that long ago the owner was posting on the board.

http://www.gibbsrifle.com/

hoopty
04-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Try the website again.. It was up when I checked it a few minutes ago.

Tinpig
04-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Related to this, I was at a gunshow yesterday, and was talking to a dealer who was selling M1903A3s, M1903s, M1 Carbines and M1 Garands. He brought up the subject of his Gibbs A4 and was raving about how much he liked it.
And no, he didn't have one for sale.:)

Tinpig