PDA

View Full Version : Type 2 lockbar

polkaudioguy
05-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Real or repro? What's got me wondering is the bar itself, it is round, but the short edges are not radiuses like most of what I've seen online. Also, this didn't come with the collar, I'm upset but hopefully will resolve it with the vendor.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t362/polkaudioguy/IMAG0213.jpg
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t362/polkaudioguy/IMAG0214.jpg

M1Garandy
05-15-2012, 01:38 PM
EDIT: after looking at the pictures closer and comparing to known original TII's I retract my "looks pretty good". Sorry!

If the seller can't/won't come up with a lockbar detent, shoot me a PM, I may be able to help.

aimit
05-15-2012, 03:16 PM
I have seen a bunch of type II lock bars, but never one with straight cuts on the back like that one. The type III's had straight cuts but I don't think the type II's did.

polkaudioguy
05-15-2012, 04:48 PM
M1Garandy - Seller is sending a detent, but thanks for the offer!

aimit - i was kind of wondering about the cuts on the back myself. Also, the long edges have been sheered and not machined, although I dont know how the others were made. I'll try to get a better picture of it when i get home from work.

polkaudioguy
05-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Here are a bunch more pictures, along with some measurements.

http://s1056.photobucket.com/albums/t362/polkaudioguy/

One person on Shuffs "Battle Tested" forum thought that it was made during the transition from type 2 to type 3. Anybody heard of this?

aimit
05-15-2012, 08:15 PM
That has all the earmarks of a type III SA square end lock bar that has had the ends rounded off, probably in an effort to make it look like a type II. The type III's were sheared as you state, leaving a rough edge where it was forced through the die. The outer profile was formed by driving a blank piece of metal through a die, exactly like common flat washers are made. As far as a transition part goes, it would make no sense to add another step to the process to round the ends by machining, especially since the later ones were designed to have square ends. You can see by the pics that the rounded ends are machined and not formed by a die. Also the overall length of the part is approximately .030" to .035" shorter than normal type II and type III lock bars, and the one pad on the back is a lot narrower than the other which could be the result of someone rounding the ends and taking a little too much metal off in the process. Just my opinion of course.

M1Garandy
05-15-2012, 08:29 PM
I must retract my "looks pretty good". After coming home from work and looking at a legit TII and some legit TIII lockbars in my parts bins, I'd be inclined to believe that your lockbar started life as a TIII and was then modified as aimit has stated. My apologies for the initial bum steer.

No worries about the detent. Happy to offer the help.

polkaudioguy
05-15-2012, 09:00 PM
No problems about the bum steer. I am agreement with you all.

When measuring this part, the distance from the outside of the hole to one end of the bar is 0.263 while the opposite side measures 0.280. I am a mechanical engineer, and have spent a decent amount of time in a machine shop while in school, and even our crappy under-maintained lathes were more concentric than that, even when un-chucking and re-chucking a part.

Finally, the centers of the arcs are not coincident with the threaded hole in the center, as it should be for a lathed part. Furthermore, they do not even lie on the centerline of the bar.

I will be contacting the vendor to see what he would like to do about it. I would really like type II's on this rifle, but type III's would be acceptable, I would just like to get what I pay for, and not a butchered part.

Thanks everyone for your help and experience!

polkaudioguy
05-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Just got off the phone with the vendor and he will be sending me a new bar! From talking to him I think maybe this bar may be legit but its not what I think of as a type ii bar. Either way, I'll be getting a new bar of the standard variety in the mail in a couple of days

pepsiman52
05-17-2012, 06:34 PM
What is a type II lockbar sight cost nowadays?

Thanks,

John

polkaudioguy
05-17-2012, 07:59 PM
I paid 140 for just the knobs/pinion/spring/detent/lock bar assembly.
Might have gotten a little gouged but I didn't see any others for sale anywhere.

M1Garandy
05-17-2012, 08:16 PM
What is a type II lockbar sight cost nowadays?

I've see complete SA pinion sets without the sight base, aperture or cover sell in the $100-125 range and complete sights in the $150-165 range.

That being said, if you are REALLY lucky and your internet search-fu is strong you can get lucky for less than half the figures I've listed.

I just missed a WRA pinion set for less than $60. D'oh!