PDA

View Full Version : Garand clips

beefyz
07-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Awhile back, from this site, i purchased a batch of clips, pouches, and cardboards. This particular batch was originally suppossed to be from an HXP spam can. The clips did not have any markings. I test out all clips i purchase and every now and then there are ocassionally a few problems with some of these clips. Inevitably, sometime during firing, usually between the 3rd and 4th round and then between the 5th and 6th, the clip comes up and jams the action. I simply have just pushed it back down and resumed firing. It always happens with one of these unmarked clips, never with marked clips. Was there a problem with the clips associated with HXP loadings as oppossed to other "gi" clips? I thought at first maybe some part in the garand is wearing out but substituting a tried out and marked clip, the problem goes away, only to resurface when i put back in one of these unmarked clips. If it is the clips, what goes wrong/bad with clips? Can one tell if a clip is bad ? I notice tensioning seems much tighter on these unmarked clips when loaded. Is there anything i can do to them to clear up this problem? Thanks......z

aka108
07-10-2012, 07:23 PM
I think the problem with some of the Greek clips is that somewhere in the clip's history some Greek decided that a big heavy parkerization job would be good. Some of these clips are about as smooth as a corn cob. I hit the ones I use with coarse steel wool and then left them running in the tumbler for about 3 days. They all function fine now.

JohnF
07-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Your problem might be one that was addressed several times on the CMP forum. It's likely you have some JMO marked en-bloc clips that came on the 70 or 72 and later head stamped ammo. The extractor groove is wider like 7.62 NATO on the later ammo and a narrow extractor grove on the earlier ammo like Lake City. It seems these JMO en-bloc's were stamped to accomodate the wider groove ammo and cause a problem when used with the narrow groove ammo. Check your en-bloc head stamp and advise. Should look similar to the photo below. You can use the JMO en-bloc with no problems if you use ammo with the wide extractor groove, usually 70-72 and later HXP date. I have a picture that shows how the extractor groove works in the en-bloc if you find the above is your problem.

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~wolfsrus/clips/jmo69.jpg

beefyz
07-11-2012, 09:03 AM
AKA.... you're right, these problematic clips all seem to be heavily parkerized. I will have to try your suggestion. So you say to scuff up the finish on the clip and then tumble it ?
John F.... as i stated, NONE of these clips have any markings whatsoever on them. Hate to say this, but was wondering if they were swapped into the pouches of what was suppossed to contain the HXP ammo, clips, and cardboards. Ironically, the picture you supply, John, DOES look like the clips I have in that they appear to have that "specking" or shinyness imbued in the finish. But again, without the/any markings you show.
Another thing that keeps jumping out at me is how hard it is to get the 8th round in. Sure, there has to be some pressure applied to get that last round to snap in and the clip has to provide good tension, but the clips giving me the problems seem to need ALOT more presssure to press that last round in.

JohnF
07-11-2012, 10:41 AM
The JMO markings are so faint on the en-bloc's I have that you have to wet, or oil them, and hold up to the sunlight at an angle to see the stamping. The clips were heavily sandblasted before parking and subdued the markings. Good luck :D

ceresco
07-11-2012, 10:59 AM
I suggest: Mark some enblocs with white nail polish...or whatever. You can steelwool or polish them if you wish. If they ever fail, toss them. Evolution works. Soon you will have a bunch that work every time. Put those in your range bag and don't use any other enblocs when it matters. The info about the JMOs is probably right with regard to the extractor cut dimensional differences on later HXP brass--I toss all JMOs. Good Shooting.....

Mad_Gorilla
07-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Awhile back, from this site, i purchased a batch of clips, pouches, and cardboards. This particular batch was originally suppossed to be from an HXP spam can. The clips did not have any markings. I test out all clips i purchase and every now and then there are ocassionally a few problems with some of these clips. Inevitably, sometime during firing, usually between the 3rd and 4th round and then between the 5th and 6th, the clip comes up and jams the action. I simply have just pushed it back down and resumed firing. It always happens with one of these unmarked clips, never with marked clips. Was there a problem with the clips associated with HXP loadings as oppossed to other "gi" clips? I thought at first maybe some part in the garand is wearing out but substituting a tried out and marked clip, the problem goes away, only to resurface when i put back in one of these unmarked clips. If it is the clips, what goes wrong/bad with clips? Can one tell if a clip is bad ? I notice tensioning seems much tighter on these unmarked clips when loaded. Is there anything i can do to them to clear up this problem? Thanks......z

I have a bunch of those clips. The parkerizing on them was as thick as enamel paint. They were hard to load rounds into and hard to seat in the magazine. I tossed them into the vibratory tumbler and let it run from breakfast to supper time. They came out looking a really funky greenish color, but the excess was gone and they worked fine from that point on. Use fresh media in the tumbler, it works a lot better than well used.

Bromel
07-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Your "unmarked" clips may likely have markings that are hidden under the Greek parkerizing. I have some relatively new USGI clips, and the stamps are very light. They would disappear under some parkerizing. Put your clips in the tumbler overnight, rub a very light coat of gun oil on them with a rag, and then try them.

beefyz
07-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Thanks to all....i will tumble, look for markings, lightly oil before firing etc and see what i get......z

annespiper
07-12-2012, 06:40 AM
I have some of the Greek enblocks and have the same proublems. I'm going to toss mine in the tumbler in a minute and give it a try. I would like to buy some clips for an upcoming range date with my son and grandson's. Anyone have any suggestions as to where they may be purchased?

Dollar Bill
07-12-2012, 07:57 AM
Bill Ricce is a good source. His prices may seem a little higher than others but with Bill, you know you are getting the right thing.

Also watch the Parts for Sale section of the forum. I just bought 10 LC bandoliers with enblocs (60 total) for $120 shipped.

Mad_Gorilla
07-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Another thing that keeps jumping out at me is how hard it is to get the 8th round in. Sure, there has to be some pressure applied to get that last round to snap in and the clip has to provide good tension, but the clips giving me the problems seem to need ALOT more presssure to press that last round in.

Here's how I do it. Hopefully, I can describe it so it makes sense.

Hold the clip upright in your left hand with the open part toward your palm.

Place the first round in the bottom of the clip toward the bottom right feed lip. Hold it in position with your left thumb on top of it from the bullet end of the clip. Drop in the next round so that it sits on the side of the clip toward you, move your thumb up and keep pressure on the rounds so they're tight against the bottom feed lips. Keep inserting round alternating side to side. The 7th round should end up high on the side away from you, or top right of the clip.

Now, place the last round in position on top of the clip, toward you. Place both thumbs on the body of the round and push downward, rolling it over the edge of the lip of the clip and into the locked position.

It is kind of awkward the first few times, but once you get the hang of it, it goes really fast and takes little effort. When done, and viewing from the top, the top round should be high on the left side of the clip, so that when you insert it into the rifle, the top round gives you a fulcrum point to help seat the clip and lock it in place, and the first round up the pipe comes off the left side.

Takes far longer to type it and read it than it does to do it. Anyway, since I started doing it that way, I haven't had any issues at all with feeding or clips.

Bromel
07-14-2012, 07:19 PM
I have some of the Greek enblocks and have the same proublems. I'm going to toss mine in the tumbler in a minute and give it a try. I would like to buy some clips for an upcoming range date with my son and grandson's. Anyone have any suggestions as to where they may be purchased?

I've purchased the BR-W clips from ammogarand.com and they were in very good condition

http://www.ammogarand.com/clipsmagazines.html

Mad_Gorilla
07-14-2012, 11:17 PM
I've purchased the BR-W clips from ammogarand.com and they were in very good condition

http://www.ammogarand.com/clipsmagazines.html

The AEC clips from Midway seem to work pretty well, at least they have for me.

milprileb
07-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Steel wool those enblocs. Then put in tumbler. THey will be smooth and work, bit if problematic after this , toss them.