PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Arisaka Rifles

derfnh
08-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Hello,

I'm looking for some help determining what I have and its value. I've been given a WWII Japanese Arisaka rifle by my father ( value priceless). I believe it to be based on the following web site.

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

type 99

Arsenal/Subcontractor: Nagoya Arsenal
Period of Operation: 1923-1945

series number 5

Bayonet
Hooked Quillon

What else should I know? What else should I be looking for?

Thank you
(not for sale so please don't ask).

Perplexed
08-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Hello,

I'm looking for some help determining what I have and its value. I've been given a WWII Japanese Arisaka rifle by my father ( value priceless).

You've already answered your question ;)

I don't have my reference books handy so I can't determine whether your rifle is early, transitional, or late, but things to look for could include:

-- overall condition of the rifle?
-- condition of the bore?
-- condition of the mum on the receiver ring?
-- presence of dust cover over the action?
-- presence of AA "wings"?

Without knowing these things, the value could be anywhere from $200 to over $1K for the rifle alone; I'm clueless as to the value of the bayonet and quillon.

Pics would help, too!

derfnh
08-23-2012, 06:58 PM
The flip up anti-aircraft sights are present.
The duct cover is present
The chrysanthemum is undamaged.

Since I don't have anything to compare it to I'm not sure how to rate the overall condition of the rifle. It does need to be properly cleaned.

I'm working on pics.

gpw9552
08-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Are the screws still staked? Original unmolested rifles will have staked screws.

T38Carbine
08-23-2012, 07:11 PM
As far as the bayonet...you already have a web sight that tells you about Japanes bayonets. Look toward the bottom of the page and you will see maker marks, and variations.

Post pics...we want to see!!

derfnh
08-23-2012, 07:14 PM
The screws are still staked.

derfnh
08-23-2012, 07:20 PM
A few pics but I don't know what is important to see yet.
http://home.comcast.net/~fhoth/site/

T38Carbine
08-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Left side of the receiver...on the rifle!

Near the bottom of the blade...on the bayonet!

Milsurp Collector
08-23-2012, 07:52 PM
It looks like it has an original rubberized canvas sling. The sling is probably stiff, brittle, and fragile by now, so don't try to remove it because it might become damaged.

The bottom of the bayonet lug, the rear rim of the dust cover, and the parts of the bolt should be stamped with the last three digits of the serial number. This is my Nagoya Series 6 showing where the bolt parts are numbered. The striker is non-matching.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt337/milsurp_collector/August%202011%20gun%20shows/DSC04373.jpg

If you want to try removing the surface rust from the metal use bronze wool (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7391/Product/BRONZE-WOOL) and Kroil (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7610/Product/KROIL).

sigman2
08-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Too bad that rifle was not kept oiled to preserve it. It looks as dry as a popcorn fart.

derfnh
08-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Yes the sling is stiff and to brittle to be removed without damage, all of the serial numbers that I can find do match.

Thank you for the suggested product to try to clean the surface (bronze wool).

a few additional photo's were uploaded.

aka108
08-24-2012, 04:44 PM
My Uncle was a Navy physician on Guam during WW2. He had a marine patient who went out, after being returned to duty, and killed one of the Japanese holdouts and gave my Uncle the the guys rifle. I remember handling it a few times and remember it to be in very decent shape. The rifle disappeared during one of their many moves.

derfnh-Try using some Bick 4 leather conditioner on the sling. I have used it to bring life back into some pretty dry and surface cracked leather. Most boot shops and saddelries have the stuiff.

aj98
08-24-2012, 04:53 PM
does it have a monopod and cleaning rod?

is the tip of the firing pin broken off? (IIRC, this was "required" by military rules, but didn't always happen)

bolt serial number matches the last 3 of the rifle. Should also have a 3 digit number stamped on the the bayo lug. and I think on onle of the internal bolt parts (its been a while since I've had mine apart)

screws look to be original staking.

Milsurp Collector
08-24-2012, 05:51 PM
derfnh-Try using some Bick 4 leather conditioner on the sling. I have used it to bring life back into some pretty dry and surface cracked leather. Most boot shops and saddelries have the stuiff.

It's hard to tell from the pictures what the sling is made from. It could be leather or it could be rubberized canvas. The Japanese used both. If it is rubberized canvas a leather conditioner isn't going to help it and it might damage it.

derfnh
08-24-2012, 06:06 PM
bayo lug has matching serial numbers as well.

I believe that the sling is leather not rubberized canvas.

I believe that the cleaning rod is there, but I've never tried to remove it.

It seems that everything is original, its just that the rifle was not cleaned or oiled as Dad is not a gun collector, it was just a WWII souvenir.

keep the comments coming.. I'm learning more things to look for. (two more pics added)

lthilsdorf
08-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Nice rifle. Looks like the screws are still staked, which is quite hard to find on these Japanese rifles. Does the dust cover have a matching number to the serial number?

A Series 5 Nagoya would be correct without a monopod. It was phased out before the start of it. Early rifles in this series will still have the AA wings and dustcover, as shown here.

I actually also have a complete, matching Series 5 Nagoya too, though someone buggered with the screws and possibly the stock as well. I think they were gonna try and rechamber it, as there are pipe wrench markings on the barrel. I've never shot it, so I don't know if they actually did, but these barrels are pretty difficult to take off with a pipewrench, so it seems unlikely.

Anyway, that's a wonderful rifle. If it was in my family I'd never sell it. If I saw it at a show, I'd snatch it up in a second and sell the one I have, haha!

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/600/99edit2.jpg

aj98
08-26-2012, 06:31 PM
I believe that the cleaning rod is there, but I've never tried to remove it.

Bottom of the stock behind the bayo lug...push the little metal square up.

Should release the cleaning rod.

Frederick
08-26-2012, 11:30 PM
You have an awesome war relic! If it was mine, I would just oil the metal with some CLP. Maybe some leather conditioner on the sling. If you get too aggressive you could really detract from it's collector value. My type 99 is in pretty good shape but it's junk compared to yours!

Deerjager
08-27-2012, 12:28 AM
This thread is making me want to dig out my Arisaka and see what I have.