PDA

View Full Version : Mauser Chileno Modelo 1895

smallguy7
02-21-2010, 05:11 PM
I recently purchased a Chilean mauser model 95. Everything looks legit about this gun, bolt functions well, sights adjusts like they're supposed to, and so on. But I'm having a hard time interpreting the markings on this gun. Has "Mauser Chileno Modelo 1895" and "Deutsche Waffen - Und Munitionsfabriken BERLIN" on the reciever. It also has "L 3499" on the reciever next to the crest, "M 2686" and a 71 on the bolt handle. Also there are a few symbols on the gun as well that can be described as a pick axe, and a sun. And there are two stamps on the butt stock, one is legible and reads "M E" and the other has "1895" but is very faded. Does any one know what these markings mean?

RetiredArmy
02-21-2010, 07:03 PM
The easy stuff; Chilien Model 1895 Mauser. Then; German Arms and Munitions Factory Berlin. L3499 is the serial no. for the rifle. M2686 is a serial no. from another rifle. So you have a mismatched gun. I would have to pull out a book to tell you the other info. They are real nice, well made rifles in 7MM Mauser Caliber.

smallguy7
02-22-2010, 07:09 AM
Is there a website that I can go to or a book that has everything about the mauser?

Taroman
02-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Mauser Bolt Rifles (http://www.amazon.com/Mauser-Bolt-Rifles-Ludwig-Olson/dp/999949806X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266855141&sr=1-2) by Ludwig Olson is a standard reference.

The Chileno 1895 was a premium grade rifle. Excellent matching examples now command a pretty good price. I had a beautiful one many years ago, as new condition with full fiddleback walnut stock. In a moment of madness, I let a friend talk me out of it. Of course the fact that he was piling up $20 bills did enter into the equation.

From a rest, with the open sights, I could easily shoot 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards.

USMCNewdog
02-22-2010, 12:00 PM
I thought I saw one of these marked 7.62N, I assued .308? were some rechambered?

Taroman
02-22-2010, 01:46 PM
I thought I saw one of these marked 7.62N, I assued .308? were some rechambered?

They were. Sad, IMHO AS 7X57 is one of the all-time greats.

smallguy7
02-22-2010, 06:33 PM
When I purchased my mauser, the tag attached to the rifle was labeled to take 7x57. But then when I bought it & recieved the box it came in, the box had it labeled to take .308. How would I know what round my mauser is suppose to take? I'm a little afraid to put in a round not knowing for sure it is the right one.

kwg020
02-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Usually if the rifle has been altered someone will stamp 7.62 on the reciever. The other way is to cast the chamber with cerro cast. You can get it from Brownells. I've never used it but I understand it is easy to use. The Chileno's are highly regarded and are made with good German steel vs. the sometimes softer Spanish steel. Yours is German. You never said whether you had the full length rifle or the Cavelry carbine. The carbine I believe has a 21 inch barrel and the full lenght barrel is around 27 inches. The carbine will have a bent bolt handle and the full length rifle will have a straight bolt handle. I have the carbine and it's a nice looking little rifle. I have yet to shoot it. I did check it with a head space gauge and it closed on a GO gauge but would not close on a NO GO. kwg

jimthompson502002
02-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Easy way: if it will accept a 7x57 cartridge, it is NOT 7.62x51 NATO!

KRAG-30-40
02-22-2010, 11:27 PM

A little info on those conversions http://dutchman.rebooty.com/1895Chile.html That action is not designed for 7.62 pressures.The bolt lugs have a tendency to set back in the receivers due to the softness of the metal and heat treating processes in use at the time.The result is increasing headspace over time and these rifles don't have much in the way of safety features in case of head separation or case failure.Also keep in mind that the lowest or battle sight setting is for 400 yards using a 7mm Mauser with the 175 grain bullet.
I have one of these in near mint condition,it's fit and finish is as fine as any commercial rifle and shoots as well as most commercial sporting rifles or military rifles I've ever owned.The 7x57 is one of the smoothest,lightest recoiling cartridges there is to shoot.

smallguy7
02-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Usually if the rifle has been altered someone will stamp 7.62 on the reciever. The other way is to cast the chamber with cerro cast. You can get it from Brownells. I've never used it but I understand it is easy to use. The Chileno's are highly regarded and are made with good German steel vs. the sometimes softer Spanish steel. Yours is German. You never said whether you had the full length rifle or the Cavelry carbine. The carbine I believe has a 21 inch barrel and the full lenght barrel is around 27 inches. The carbine will have a bent bolt handle and the full length rifle will have a straight bolt handle. I have the carbine and it's a nice looking little rifle. I have yet to shoot it. I did check it with a head space gauge and it closed on a GO gauge but would not close on a NO GO. kwg Mine is full length and has the straight bolt.

Taroman
02-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks, Krag, for that link. Surprised to see a Chileno there that could be the twin of the one I let go many years ago. The wood and metal were amazing.
http://www.hverovhe.com/mauser.jpg

jerryjeff
02-24-2010, 12:23 AM
Holy crap! Holy....

smallguy7
02-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Do you guys know where you can get surplus (if any) bayonets, slings, and so on for a chileno mauser?

kwg020
02-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Give this guy an e-mail. His name is Dusty. My name is Kris Greenwood. I have not talked to him for a while but I got an like brand new Chilean bayonet from him. The last I knew he still had some but it's been a while. kwg

"Dusty Waymire" <dusty@midrivers.com>,

Rick
02-26-2010, 01:35 AM
Years ago you could buy these for $75 out of Shotgun News and they were absolutely new unfired since the factory. Bought two of the rifles and cleaned one up and fired it. They had better walnut and bluing than any new manufactured firearm. Sold them both and almost doubled my money. One of those things you wish you hadn't done.