CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   CMP North Store (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   First visit today (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=255321)

paintman 11-23-2019 04:22 PM

First visit today

Today was my very first time going to cmp. Iíve planned two trips and couldnít go both times. Today was a big day. Ended up with a service grade international with GI wood, a field grade 6 digit Springfield that had GI wood and looked pretty nice and a service grade HRA that is beautiful. It has a cmp stock so I may need to find a GI some time

bruce 11-23-2019 04:32 PM

Wow! Some trip! Sounds like wonderful rifle! Range trip? Sincerely. bruce.

Sigpros 11-23-2019 04:42 PM

Man you did good. I went today after a HRA, but found a nice Springfield field grade with a 1+ muzzle and a 2+ throat and a WRA bolt. Wood wasn’t too bad and the metal finish was nice. There was a field grade with a NM stamped op rod. My hunt for a HRA continues but that’s half the fun. Now I have to wait until Wednesday to get the old girl.

paintman 11-23-2019 04:58 PM

I’ll be shooting some tomorrow. Although it’s freakin cold in Indiana lol

JPT 11-23-2019 05:16 PM

That is one hell of a first trip! How did the field grade stock look?

Congrats on your new acquisitions.

Justin

paintman 11-23-2019 05:49 PM

The field grade stock really wasn’t bad. I’ll try to post pics soon

paintman 11-23-2019 05:52 PM

https://imgur.com/a/1Jl2WlB

paintman 11-23-2019 05:53 PM

That should work. I think the stocks look decent. The IHC is just what I want. And the field grade will clean up I believe.

Danny 11-23-2019 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintman (Post 1888348)
Today was my very first time going to cmp. Iíve planned two trips and couldnít go both times. Today was a big day. Ended up with a service grade international with GI wood, a field grade 6 digit Springfield that had GI wood and looked pretty nice and a service grade HRA that is beautiful. It has a cmp stock so I may need to find a GI some time

You found some good rifles. I looked those three over a bit when you were at the counter. You and I both got an SA Six Digit.

I am cleaning my barrel right now, as we speak. It is marked "N M" on the left side of the barrel by the Gas Cylinder.

paintman 11-23-2019 06:54 PM

O yea I was eyeing the one you had. Had you put that back I would have grabbed it to lol. Probably good for me you got it or my wife would have killed me

JustinandKim 11-23-2019 07:22 PM

That's an awesome set of rifles

m1garand1055 11-23-2019 08:27 PM

You got some nice rifles paintman!!! Good score!!!!

Brian 11-24-2019 07:08 AM

Nice rifles, got me thinking about my first trip.

1 USGI "rack" grade M1 that was fresh from RRAD rebuild. I think the freckling on the park made it a "rack" grade. I forget the throat reading, but the muzzle is a 1 (before hang tags). an 03A3 with a 0 muzzle that Bob helped me pick out. Last, but not least 2 cans of delinked LC .30 cal in CMP boxes. I got out the door with all that for about $1100.

M1 sniper 11-24-2019 10:05 AM

Very nice! Ainít it fun!?

paintman 11-24-2019 08:09 PM

I’m cleaning them right now. I am in love with these guns! The 6 digit really turns on my imagination. It’s obviously been rebuilt at least once. Everything on it has a nice wear that just makes me wonder what this rifle has seen. Interesting for sure.
On another positive note I planned on shooting when I got home this afternoon. That was postponed when I figured out my German Shepherd had her puppies. All 12 of them! Guess shooting will have to wait.

Danny 11-24-2019 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintman (Post 1888688)
Iím cleaning them right now. I am in love with these guns! The 6 digit really turns on my imagination. Itís obviously been rebuilt at least once. Everything on it has a nice wear that just makes me wonder what this rifle has seen. Interesting for sure.
On another positive note I planned on shooting when I got home this afternoon. That was postponed when I figured out my German Shepherd had her puppies. All 12 of them! Guess shooting will have to wait.

How have your barrels turned out so far? The one you saw me with, a six digit, ME 1+, TE 2+, is cleaning up really well. It is bright and shiny with no issues based on condition. It is a NM marked barrel. It cleaned up pretty easily. It is at least the second Field Grade I have bought there recently that in reality is Service Grade.

paintman 11-24-2019 09:28 PM

The 6 digit was the roughest of the 3. The muzzle measures just under 3 on my cmp gauge but cleaned up really well. It’s got some light surface rust under the wood. I would like to figure out how to clean it without hurting the finish. The HRA measures a 2 at the muzzle and cleaned up awesome. The IHC was the best. Mostly IHC parts, appears original lmr barrel that measures a 1. It did have some splotches under the wood as well.

Danny 11-24-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintman (Post 1888712)
The 6 digit was the roughest of the 3. The muzzle measures just under 3 on my cmp gauge but cleaned up really well. Itís got some light surface rust under the wood. I would like to figure out how to clean it without hurting the finish. The HRA measures a 2 at the muzzle and cleaned up awesome. The IHC was the best. Mostly IHC parts, appears original lmr barrel that measures a 1. It did have some splotches under the wood as well.

I have had the best luck using a penny as a scraper, gently working at it with some oil or bore cleaner on the rust, wiping it off often with more of the same solution to check progress. You have to use a penny that is old enough to be all copper. Using 0000 Steel Wool never really worked well for me. The penny is more gentle on the Parkerizing.