CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   3-Position Air Rifle (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Why are young kids so good? (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=276845)

navyrifleman 12-30-2021 10:14 AM

I have seen many times where young kids who listen can shoot very well. My daughter at age 12 was very small and could barely hold my .45 automatic up with both hands. But she listened to what I told her and could put all her shots in the black.

Cincinatus 12-30-2021 11:10 AM

The young are truly amazing sometimes. The other day, I received the Fall 2021 edition of the GCA Journal. On the cover is a young slip of a girl holding her grandfather's M1 Garand. The Garand is about as big as she is. On page 8, an article states that this young woman went to Perry for the first time this year, and, with her AR 15, shot 55th in the President's Hundred. The article then goes on to mention another young woman from North Carolina who went Distinguished at age 16, shot 11th in the President's Hundred, which qualified her for the final shoot-off, and ended in 7th place with a score of 395-15X. She cleaned the prone rapid. She shot a 496-25x in the NTI setting a new record for High Woman shooter. Looking at her picture, she can't be more than 18-19 years old, if that. These kids are truly amazing. I am green with envy of their ability. Only in my dreams can I shoot as well as they can.

USriflecal30 12-30-2021 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cincinatus (Post 2103340)
The young are truly amazing sometimes. The other day, I received the Fall 2021 edition of the GCA Journal. On the cover is a young slip of a girl holding her grandfather's M1 Garand. The Garand is about as big as she is. On page 8, an article states that this young woman went to Perry for the first time this year, and, with her AR 15, shot 55th in the President's Hundred. The article then goes on to mention another young woman from North Carolina who went Distinguished at age 16, shot 11th in the President's Hundred, which qualified her for the final shoot-off, and ended in 7th place with a score of 395-15X. She cleaned the prone rapid. She shot a 496-25x in the NTI setting a new record for High Woman shooter. Looking at her picture, she can't be more than 18-19 years old, if that. These kids are truly amazing. I am green with envy of their ability. Only in my dreams can I shoot as well as they can.

Not that it's much different buy Haley is 22 now I think (CMP still has her as a junior because they gave every an extra year because of 2020). She and her dad Bobby shoot at our club very often. They are great people and both stunningly good, and they are consistently that good (Bobby cleaned 200 pts standing last year). And they've both only been shooting since 2015 or 2016. I dunno why the kids are so good, but it's amazing.

If you haven't seen any of the pre-teens and teens shoot .22 rifles in Steel Challenge, go watch. Then you'll see how much you suck. ;)

Cincinatus 12-30-2021 12:30 PM

When you're as ancient as I am, all the youngins look younger than they really are. I'll pass on the Steel Challenge, I already know how much I suck.

gcc 01-20-2022 01:48 PM

The "young" are only as good as their mentors. How many of us have taken the time with a youngster who was struggling at the range and all of sudden they found the sweet spot of their firearm and gained the confidence to come back and continue to develop their skill set? The skills can be there. As we know there are other nuisances. Breathing, positioning, mental focus. That separates the marksman from the wannabees.

BuddyBGood 01-20-2022 07:19 PM

Young people don’t know everything.First thing they don’t know is how hard shooting is.
Now the rest of us old f**ts got to remember how much coffee,cigs,alcohol and other substances we consumed,that wrecked our bodies.
Wait till they find the steering wheel and the opposite gender.
Hey just trying to be funny.
Truthfuly,a lot of us were that good too!With the equipment,ammo,and coaching at the time.
What impresses me most is they are interested.
Good for Them.