CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   3-Position Air Rifle (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Used Daisy 853 rifles. WOW! (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=49001)

jnespappa 07-08-2011 11:23 AM

Used Daisy 853 rifles. WOW!
 
I was planning to buy a new Daisy/Avanti 853 for around $290 so that my son and I could practice marksmanship in the back yard. Then I noticed the CMP used air rifle program with the same rifle reconditioned for $100. SO, I decided to buy 3 (basically the same price) and donate two to my son's NJROTC program.

They arrived well packed in eggshell foam with new slings, two butt spacers, new sight inserts and apparently NIB rear sights. The stocks had been belt sanded and rubbed with medium/dark oil.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D720/ry%3D480/

I held them in amazement as bits of history that someone at the CMP had lovingly restored and put out into circulation for further use. I am honored to have received them.

I started out to refinish the one that I was going to keep and to my surprise, I found the grain to be tight, straight and very well laid out by the original stock maker. After several coats of true oil it looks amazing.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D720/ry%3D480/
I was so pleased I decided to refinish all of them and I have one left to do. I found the second one has a light tiger stripe figure running the length of the stock with a light swirl grain on one side and straight grain on the other.http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D720/ry%3D480/
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D720/ry%3D480/

Please excuse the blurry cell phone pics.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D720/ry%3D480/

I ordered Daisy 888 trigger guards to have adjustable trigger pull weight and I am polishing/cleaning the sears and hammers on all three.

I haven't approached the "Chief" yet, but I hope he will accept the rifles and put them to good use.

Conclusion:
Great job by the CMP. I couldn't be happier with the air rifles.

Check them out here: http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/rifles.htm Click on the Air Rifles tab and scroll down a bit.

lindylars 07-09-2011 09:23 AM

jnespappa - good job! Out of curiousity how are the left sides of the receivers marked?

The sights, while boxed when delivered, are already used in my opinion...

Here's a pic of the first five shots at 10m (sitting, no sling/jacket, t-shirt and shorts, outdoors) out of one that I picked up from the SS a couple months ago - no adjustments, cleaning, or anything beyond adding the two stock inserts and just taking the sight out of the box (which was NOT on mechanical-zero for either windage or elevation) and locking it down - POA is the bottom of the center square, front sight already had a post insert installed when I picked out the rifle:

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/o...5-15094400.jpg

Next shot after coming up 30-clicks elevation, no windage adjustments:

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/o...5-15095628.jpg

I really love this rifle - it has become my favorite, almost-daily, practice tool. I wish the CMP would come up with a similar pistol offering...hint, hint :D

The above shots were done using some old Daisy Max Speed pellets that I had on hand - you should also look into the Vogel match pellets available from the CMP at a very fair price.

jnespappa 07-09-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylars (Post 379867)
jnespappa - good job! Out of curiousity how are the left sides of the receivers marked?

Thanks!!

They are all marked U.S. AG ####### 1 853 (Does the US mean they were military issue?)
The right sides are marked Rogers, AR

I am sending the serial numbers off to Daisy for dating since one of them is a 3 digit serial number, in the upper 600s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylars (Post 379867)
The above shots were done using some old Daisy Max Speed pellets that I had on hand - you should also look into the Vogel match pellets available from the CMP at a very fair price.

Nice shooting. I will probably try Vogel on my next purchase. I am using RWS R10 Heavy match pellets right now and they are impressive.

I cleaned the barrels this morning using a bore snake and all three bores are still crisp and shiny.

lindylars 07-09-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnespappa (Post 379949)
They are all marked U.S. AG ####### 1 853 (Does the US mean they were military issue?)
The right sides are marked Rogers, AR

I am sending the serial numbers off to Daisy for dating since one of them is a 3 digit serial number, in the upper 600s.

Bingo - now a "good job" done WELL! :GS: :2T:

Look on the E-Store for target options if you want to get more "official" with your practice. Archer's also has some nice silent pellet traps.

Best wishes and good shooting to you and your future distinguished son :D

jnespappa 07-11-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylars (Post 380084)
Bingo - now a "good job" done WELL! :GS: :2T:

Look on the E-Store for target options if you want to get more "official" with your practice. Archer's also has some nice silent pellet traps.

Best wishes and good shooting to you and your future distinguished son :D

Thanks!!

I received the new trigger guards and a few replacement triggers from Daisy on Saturday. Great service from them, BTW. Below is the new trigger guard with adjustment screw.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D720/ry%3D480/

After doing the "Pilk Guns" trigger mod, the trigger pull is now MUCH improved, more crisp, more repeatable and with reduced over-travel. A caution from my experience with the noted mod. I cut the first trigger to match the Pilk Guns tutorial as best as I could. Reassembled and I could "fire" the rifle even with the safety on. Glad I order extra triggers. I cut the second one more conservatively and it is securely blocked when in "safe" mode.

Two down, one to go:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D720/ry%3D480/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D720/ry%3D480/

Prior to the trigger mods, I got my hands on some NRA AR5-10 targets and set up at 10 meters in the back yard with a plywood (temporary) backstop. I shot two 88s and an 89 from prone, with sling, sweatshirt, and glove. Now that the trigger mods are done I will try a few more targets for comparison and post the results.

Ninja Piper 07-14-2011 08:55 PM

I was fondling these when I was down there on Monday and after reading your reviews, I'm kind of regretting not picking one up. I think I'll be ordering one soon...

LeadSpitter 07-16-2011 09:59 PM

Two down one to go...Very nice. You do good work...

Alby 08-24-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnespappa (Post 381109)
Thanks!!

I received the new trigger guards and a few replacement triggers from Daisy on Saturday. Great service from them, BTW. Below is the new trigger guard with adjustment screw.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D720/ry%3D480/

After doing the "Pilk Guns" trigger mod, the trigger pull is now MUCH improved, more crisp, more repeatable and with reduced over-travel. A caution from my experience with the noted mod. I cut the first trigger to match the Pilk Guns tutorial as best as I could. Reassembled and I could "fire" the rifle even with the safety on. Glad I order extra triggers. I cut the second one more conservatively and it is securely blocked when in "safe" mode.

Two down, one to go:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D720/ry%3D480/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D720/ry%3D480/

Prior to the trigger mods, I got my hands on some NRA AR5-10 targets and set up at 10 meters in the back yard with a plywood (temporary) backstop. I shot two 88s and an 89 from prone, with sling, sweatshirt, and glove. Now that the trigger mods are done I will try a few more targets for comparison and post the results.

Those look great. I just ordered one for my grand daughter today.:) What did you use to strip the stocks? Also where did you order the trigger guards from, I cannot find any parts available?

thanks
Alby

jnespappa 08-25-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alby (Post 409651)
Those look great. I just ordered one for my grand daughter today.:) What did you use to strip the stocks? Also where did you order the trigger guards from, I cannot find any parts available?

thanks
Alby

Thanks! Good for you on the purchase for your grand daughter. I bet she'll be tickled pink.

I actually just sanded the stocks down with a random orbit sander and some hand sanding with a foam sanding block. Started with 120 and followed with 220. Five or six loving coats of Tru Oil and we were done.

I ordered the parts straight from Daisy (800) 643-3458. You want the Model 888 Trigger Housing (Part no. 888-13) since it has the screw hole already installed and you probably should order a spare Model 853 trigger assembly (Part no. 853-20). I also order the Model 888 screw assortment (not sure of part no), but the operator was very friendly and helpful. That way I knew I would have the trigger pull adjustment screw.

I ordered 4 sets of these things and with shipping I think it was around $25 or so. Parts arrived a few days later. Great service on great products at great prices....seems to explain Daisy's longevity. :GS:

The users manual is found at: http://daisy.com/_manuals/853_series_english.pdf

The instructions for the "pilk guns" modification are found at: http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/default.htm

Let us know how it turns out.

Alby 08-25-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnespappa (Post 410071)
I actually just sanded the stocks down with a random orbit sander and some hand sanding with a foam sanding block. Started with 120 and followed with 220. Five or six loving coats of Tru Oil and we were done.

I ordered the parts straight from Daisy (800) 643-3458. You want the Model 888 Trigger Housing (Part no. 888-13) since it has the screw hole already installed and you probably should order a spare Model 853 trigger assembly (Part no. 853-20). I also order the Model 888 screw assortment (not sure of part no), but the operator was very friendly and helpful. That way I knew I would have the trigger pull adjustment screw.

Thank you for the info! I will stay away from the orbit sander, I tend to get carried away, but will try a hand sanding with foam pads if it needs a refinish. Glad you mentioned the screw assortment as I would have thought the screw would have came with the housing. This will be fun for her to practice with, she is 5 and still needs some help, but I am not sure who enjoys our time more me or her. We have been going to the range with the same 22 rifle that I learned to shoot on many years ago!

ChadC 09-09-2011 04:21 PM

I ordered 2 for my kids....order went processed on the 6th and I got them yesterday! That was FAST! Looking forward to having some fun in the back yard with the kids.

Does anyone have a link to Daisy's parts online? I can't seem to find it.....although I saw some other goodies I'd like to order.... :D

jnespappa 09-12-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChadC (Post 419047)
I ordered 2 for my kids....order went processed on the 6th and I got them yesterday! That was FAST! Looking forward to having some fun in the back yard with the kids.

Does anyone have a link to Daisy's parts online? I can't seem to find it.....although I saw some other goodies I'd like to order.... :D

I ordered the parts straight from Daisy (800) 643-3458. You want the Model 888 Trigger Housing (Part no. 888-13) since it has the screw hole already installed and you probably should order a spare Model 853 trigger assembly (Part no. 853-20). I also order the Model 888 screw assortment (not sure of part no), but the operator was very friendly and helpful. That way I knew I would have the trigger pull adjustment screw.

Congrats on the purchases. I have been shooting the 853 with my son and I have made dramatic improvement in my offhand shooting and I FINALLY found a comfortable NPOA for my sitting position.

ChadC 09-12-2011 10:07 AM

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!!

They are amazing little rifles! A lot of fun and the kids really enjoy shooting them. Even my daughter who is used to shooting .22 enjoys them.

BubbaTheKid 09-13-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnespappa (Post 379949)

They are all marked U.S. AG ####### 1 853 (Does the US mean they were military issue?)
The right sides are marked Rogers, AR

I am sending the serial numbers off to Daisy for dating since one of them is a 3 digit serial number, in the upper 600s.


I cleaned the barrels this morning using a bore snake and all three bores are still crisp and shiny.


Did you order "straight sotcks" or "Monty Carlo stocks"?

ChadC 09-13-2011 01:49 PM

Does Daisy offer this service? I would love to find out the manufacture date of these rifles. Should I send an email to customer service?

jnespappa 09-19-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaTheKid (Post 421111)
Did you order "straight sotcks" or "Monty Carlo stocks"?

I ordered the straight stocks, since they matched the rifles currently in use by the NJROTC at the local HS. Monte Carlo stocks are nice, IMO for standing/off hand shooting, but may fall short for prone shooting depending on the shooters physical geometry.

You can ask the Daisy Museum folks to "date" your rifle by filling out a form and mailing it to them: http://www.daisymuseum.com/html/antiquegunform.htm
I sent my form in about two months ago and haven't heard back :( but you might have better luck.

ChadC 09-19-2011 05:57 PM

Thanks for the link!

aljkw 11-29-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnespappa (Post 420405)
I ordered the parts straight from Daisy (800) 643-3458. You want the Model 888 Trigger Housing (Part no. 888-13) since it has the screw hole already installed and you probably should order a spare Model 853 trigger assembly (Part no. 853-20). I also order the Model 888 screw assortment (not sure of part no), but the operator was very friendly and helpful. That way I knew I would have the trigger pull adjustment screw.
.


Just ordered my parts as well. The 888 trigger housing they said was actually part number 888-3.. either that or they are sending me the wrong part.
Once they come in guess I will have to give it the pilk treatment.

GarandMan57 11-29-2011 06:32 PM

The Monte carlo stock is AWESOME! Fits great for the stockweld.
Terry

aljkw 12-10-2011 03:00 PM

Just received my parts from Daisy today and worked and completed the trigger changes. When cutting the two plastic knobs do a little at a time, then assemble and test. If you take to much off the trigger the safety will no longer engage.
very easy pull on the trigger now.


I did notice with the modification if you let the screw out, IE pre modification, the safety no longers functions. Keep that in mind.

jmorrisn 03-20-2012 09:14 AM

If you have the distance of 50 feet, set up at 50ft with a .22 sb target. I shoot from the sitting. Shoot one shot at each bull. When you have completed the ten shoots, count the number of "10's".

I shot many that counted 7, a few 8 and one or two 9's. But never all tens.

jmorrisn 03-20-2012 09:16 AM

I may be reach at jhmorrisn@gmail.com

hi-revr 01-12-2015 01:05 PM

I thought I would update this thread, it's a good one. The parts needed to upgrade your 853 sights and trigger while remaining sporter class legal. As of Jan 2015 the part numbers and prices from Daisy are;

753-40 barrel weight $5.00
753-11 globe front sight assembly $5.00
753-39 globe aperture insert set $3.00
753-3 rear aperture sight assembly $35.00
888-3 Trigger housing $3.50
888-18 Screw assortment $3.00 or you can use the Pilk suggestion for the adjusting screw.
853-20 Trigger group $2.00 best to order an extra in case you screw up the original.

Looks like $56.50 in parts plus shipping

I'm a word worker as well. If the stocks on the two I just ordered are really bad I may inlet my own from scratch. Has anyone else inletted a stock for one of these?

CMPMikeD 01-12-2015 02:21 PM

http://thecmp.org/air/cmp-aces-postal/

And now you have a place to compete. For this quarter, you'll have to compete in Precision 3P Open, but next quarter we are creating a sporter 3P open category for you guys as well. The best part is, juniors are not allowed in either of the open 3P categories.

And now you guys have me wanting to trick out some 853s!

hi-revr 01-13-2015 08:02 PM

I'm a step ahead of you. I sent in my application yesterday. What got me interested in this was shooting air rifles during the Rifle portion of the national matches. All the rental rifles had horrible triggers. My buddy and I tried all the different types and multiples of each. I decided it was worth the time and effort to have a rifle with a decent trigger.

CMPMikeD 01-14-2015 01:30 AM

I'm buying two 853s from us this weekend. plan on doing some customizing on mine too

Schumiwdc 03-28-2015 11:00 AM

Cmp 853
 
Just purchased one of the CMP 853 air rifles. it was in pretty good condition with only a little rust on the cocking arm pivot and a very small piece chipped out of the forearm of the stock, you could barely notice it. First two shots were about 1/2 inch off at 30 feet. Not bad for a used rifle that only cost $100.00 plus shipping:). I'm thinking of doing the trigger modification that some do.

aljkw 03-28-2015 11:01 AM

Trigger mod is very easy to do. Just take your time and also order the parts kit mentioned in this or another thread. I shoot mine in the basement and they are a steal for the price offered..

Schumiwdc 04-02-2015 11:18 AM

Thanks for that info, I'm hoping to order the parts next week and doing the trigger mod as well. This gun has so much potential the way it is stock, just the trigger keeping it from being better. You'd think Daisy could have done a better job without much of a cost increase.

captaincalc 09-05-2015 09:36 AM

Anybody make a kit for installing an adjustable cheekpiece for these?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.