CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Ask CMP (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Yugo sniper (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=244463)

addict1 04-12-2019 07:44 AM

Yugo sniper

I am contemplating altering my Yugo Mauser for use in the Vintage sniper game. I know the weaver K- 4 is an acceptable scope, but what type of mount would be legal? Thanks
Dan

milprileb 04-12-2019 08:23 AM

Interesting question and CMP's response equally interesting.

Sets the stage for this question: Is a Weaver K4 mounted on any rifle recognized
as a legitimate vintage sniper rifle in the Vintage Sniper Match.

bigwagon 04-12-2019 10:14 AM

It is an interesting question, especially in regards to Mauser mounts, because the rule as written is unclear. Here is what the rule book says:

Quote:

f) Only rifles with optical sights may be used. Sights must be original issue
optical sights with as-issued reticles or sights may be commercial replicas
of as-issued optical sights. In addition, specific non-issue scopes that are
listed in Table I may be used. Such non-issue scopes may only be used
on the rifles for which they are specifically listed. Replica or non-issue
sights may have only crosshair, post or post with crosshair reticles. Scope
mounts and rings may be original or reproduction replicas.
Scope rings
may be sleeved or modified to accept a non-original scope diameter.
OK, so you can use an original or reproduction replica. Well, the Germans use at least five different types of mounting systems on rifles during the war era. So I guess any/all of them are legal? Or you could also read that rule as saying that the mount may be an original or replica, but it doesn't say it must be one. The intent is not clear. I already beat this to death in another thread, but if they want to clearly state intent, the word may should be changed to must.

ZvenoMan 04-12-2019 07:48 PM

If you want an answer regarding the rules you need to follow the directions in the rulebook for asking. CMP won't answer on this forum, especially generalities.

Past discussions have confirmed that a K4 is in no way legal on "any recognized vintage sniper", hundreds of 1903A4 owners will confirm that.
Seriously, contact CMP off board using the info on the rulebook, and make sure the question is specific: "will xxx scope and yyy mount on zzz rifle be acceptable".
If you try to generalize they can't make a "ruling" (is a K4 legal on a Mauser? No, not enough info to answer).

JH

addict1 04-12-2019 09:39 PM

The rule book specifically states that the K4 is a legal option on a Yugo Mauser. I am wondering about the mount. There are many options available. Thanks

ZvenoMan 04-13-2019 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addict1 (Post 1824230)
The rule book specifically states that the K4 is a legal option on a Yugo Mauser. I am wondering about the mount. There are many options available. Thanks

Yes sir. Now you have information to answer your question.
Jh

milprileb 04-14-2019 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZvenoMan (Post 1824265)
Yes sir. Now you have information to answer your question.
Jh

That is a answer worthy of CMP: A K4 which was never used on any Yugo sniper in the history of this planet is okay. Thus a fantasy surplus scoped rifle can compete as a Vintage Sniper Rifle .

Perfect Logic. :rolleyes:

ZvenoMan 04-14-2019 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milprileb (Post 1824603)
That is a answer worthy of CMP: A K4 which was never used on any Yugo sniper in the history of this planet is okay. Thus a fantasy surplus scoped rifle can compete as a Vintage Sniper Rifle .

Perfect Logic. :rolleyes:

?????
K4 has been CMPs fantasy scope since day one.
No one asked my opinion on the logic of that, if they did I would direct any emotion towards CMP, not the messenger.

Happy Sunday morning to you as well :confused:
Jh

ceresco 04-14-2019 06:52 AM

English and diagramming sentences was not my forte in the eight grade, but I can tell the difference between "may" and "may not". Now, hopefully on to other things?? Good Shooting. ....

jaholder 05-05-2019 08:27 PM

I'm wondering the same thing. I've got several M24/47's that shoot great and would like to put something together to use it in Vintage Sniper. CMP rules say the rifel's approved with the K4 scope but is mute on the type of mount that is approved.

Thoughts?