CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   M1A/M14 (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   M14/M1A receivers (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=257601)

RedSpecial 01-15-2020 02:12 PM

M14/M1A receivers

I have a complete parts kit that I was hoping to have built up. At on point James River Armory was taking demilled receiver heels and welding them to new receivers. I was hoping to do that so I could have something as close as possible to a USGI M14 without the $30k price tag, but I hear James River is no longer doing that. Is there any one out there who is doing that? If not, what are my options, can I buy a (semi auto) stripped receiver from somewhere?

nf1e 01-15-2020 02:15 PM

One possibility for you would be to send your kit to LRB and have them build a rifle with it on one of their receivers.

6.5x68 01-15-2020 03:12 PM

Fulton armory is a good drama free option.

Shomway 01-15-2020 04:00 PM

I'm in a similar situation and have acquired all the USGI parts including a real nice demilled Winchester heel and was planning on having it welded too. I'm not in a hurry and will hope JRA will start up their process in the future. Not currently available, but when Bula starts making their standard M14 receivers again I would likely buy from them.

6.5x68 01-15-2020 10:41 PM

Hello redspecial. As a follow up on my original post. There are many many m14/ m1a receiver manufactures. Some are no longer in business, some no longer sell receivers only, some are shut down for retooling, some have just gone quiet, some will only sell a receiver if you have them barrel and head space or purchase on gunbroker. Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as though fulton is the only manufacturer that will sell a no b.s. receiver stripped to your ffl?

Sheeple Fighter 01-16-2020 07:51 AM

I’m considering getting a Fulton myself for another build. I do believe LRB will sell a M25 receiver without a barrel. If I go with Fulton I’m just going to get it as a barreled receiver with head spaced bolt.

Deuceguy 01-16-2020 01:14 PM

4 receiver manufacturers currently. Unless the receivers are going to a qualified, known armorer, they shouldn't be sold. You can thank the "qualified" gunsmiths who used a pipe wrench and vice to build an action or used the incorrect tools and didn't follow the rules to build these rifles. They turned around and blamed the manufacturers.... all of them.

nf1e 01-16-2020 02:11 PM

Thanks Josh.
So much of this has gone on for years.
Bubba screws up a build and of coarse it has to have been the receiver maker that caused the trouble.

YahooMarine 01-16-2020 02:34 PM

If I go with Fulton Iím just going to get it as a barreled receiver with head spaced bolt.

I did that about 18 months ago for a Dupage kit and it worked out really well. No complaints at all.

However, watch for a sale. There is often a 10% discount around a holiday.

Rich

Sheeple Fighter 01-16-2020 06:57 PM

I just checked LRB’s website and they are selling the M25 receivers by themselves. Looks like LB and Fulton are your only options right now.

I don’t buy this bubba talk. There are a lot of individuals on this forum who build garands, and are not blaming the “original” Springfield Armory, H&R, IHC, and Winchester if the build goes south. In fact you almost never hear of a build gone bad. Most of us can reasonably well spin on a barrel, time it, ream the chamber, and headspace. Why does it work, these receivers are made to USGI specs. I suspect if Uncle Sam let us have some USGI M14 receivers there would be little to no complaint about builds not working out. Issue is as we all know, ALL M14-type commercial receivers are not USGI spec and will have fitting issues.

Answers have been given to he OP about available receivers. Let’s not judge his skill set, they might be a master M14 builder.