CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   CMP Bolt Action Rifles (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   $150 DuPage drill 03A3 are back.... (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=235512)

ordmm 10-16-2018 12:38 PM

$150 DuPage drill 03A3 are back....
 
Just in time for a winter project.....



https://www.dupagetrading.com/produc...rill-rifles-2/

Blockhead 10-16-2018 02:12 PM

Wish they had the 03s that cheap and in stock.

Welder1 10-16-2018 03:26 PM

I’ve seen these before but never paid much attention. Any idea of the origin of this batch

Jakeroub 10-16-2018 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welder1 (Post 1763660)
I’ve seen these before but never paid much attention. Any idea of the origin of this batch

Most likely traded from the CMP.

Laphroaig 10-16-2018 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blockhead (Post 1763623)
Wish they had the 03s that cheap and in stock.

I asked that question in May. Here’s the reply:

“Thank you for your inquiry, we do have model 1903 drill rifles, however they are in terrible shape. Most of them do not have a stock.

Dupage Trading Company”

s11033 10-16-2018 11:50 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Are these worth the work or is it better to start with a lightly sporterized 03-A3 for $300? I've had good luck with a couple sporters I picked up recently (for around $300 each) to build an A3 and an A4 in 6.5 Swede, but I'd be interested in grabbing some of these if they aren't too hard to reactivate.

Steve

SpearheadOrd 10-17-2018 06:18 AM

Having done a decent quantity of the reactivations I would say go w/ a sporter M1903A3 if you find the following: Original finish, no holes drilled in top of receiver (unless building a Faux 03A4), barrel not shortened and/or no commercial front sight soldered on. Then you are only looking at a GI stock and the associated hardware and possibly 03A3 sights.

If you want to tinker go w/ the drill rifle. When I did it I had a buddy who is a very very talented welder. I removed all of the stainless weld from the barrel/receiver and the cut off area. He built up the cutoff area, then milled it so the profile looks original. He parkerized the receiver, in a bright light you can see a slight color difference in the finish but other wise it looks original. Per the description for the drill rifle reactivation in addition to weld removals you would need a bolt body, striker, barrel, front sight blade, and probably a cut off, cut off shaft, internal cut off parts and a new stock (the $150 one have stock cracks) or do arsenal type repairs on the stock.

s11033 10-17-2018 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpearheadOrd (Post 1763800)
Having done a decent quantity of the reactivations I would say go w/ a sporter M1903A3 if you find the following: Original finish, no holes drilled in top of receiver (unless building a Faux 03A4), barrel not shortened and/or no commercial front sight soldered on. Then you are only looking at a GI stock and the associated hardware and possibly 03A3 sights.

If you want to tinker go w/ the drill rifle. When I did it I had a buddy who is a very very talented welder. I removed all of the stainless weld from the barrel/receiver and the cut off area. He built up the cutoff area, then milled it so the profile looks original. He parkerized the receiver, in a bright light you can see a slight color difference in the finish but other wise it looks original. Per the description for the drill rifle reactivation in addition to weld removals you would need a bolt body, striker, barrel, front sight blade, and probably a cut off, cut off shaft, internal cut off parts and a new stock (the $150 one have stock cracks) or do arsenal type repairs on the stock.

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. In your experience about what proportion of them can’t be reactivated due to excessively heavy welds, loss of heat treatment at the receiver ring, etc.

Steve

ceresco 10-17-2018 08:42 AM

Your question can only be answered with an opinion. Some reject any use of welded receivers, while others believe (virtually) all are usable. Read Val Forgett's coments on the subject and make your own assessment of the situation. Good Shooting. ...

s11033 10-17-2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceresco (Post 1763830)
Your question can only be answered with an opinion. Some reject any use of welded receivers, while others believe (virtually) all are usable. Read Val Forgett's coments on the subject and make your own assessment of the situation. Good Shooting. ...

I found his page. Thank you!

Steve


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.