CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Talladega Marksmanship Park (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   First Time TMP (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=227196)

Carriec 04-18-2018 09:55 PM

First Time TMP

We are heading down in May and don't know any of the procedures other than the safety briefing. Web site photos look like the everything must be carried from the parking lot through the building to the firing line? Are there carts or other means of conveying? Separate marshaling areas inside? Just trying to finalize the plan best we can.

Gewehr43 04-19-2018 03:10 AM

To shoot at the range (not competing in a match):

-check in at the clubhouse and get brief.

-DO NOT bring gear into the Bldg. It isn't allowed.

-Either carry it around or borrow a golf cart and drive around.

-If you are shooting Range 1, go to the booth and find out your firing point from them and tell them what yard line you want to shoot on (ie 300yds). The brief doesn't really help you if you've never used the Electronic targets, so ask them for a tutorial. The screens aren't complicated but it helps to get a brief class from them.

-Shoot and enjoy. If/When you want to change yard lines, let the booth know and they will activate (raise) the one you want.

Carriec 04-19-2018 05:59 AM

Thanks for the input. How many shooters can use the same FP? We usually rotate four of us between one or two lanes.

ZvenoMan 04-19-2018 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carriec (Post 1709743)
Thanks for the input. How many shooters can use the same FP? We usually rotate four of us between one or two lanes.

1 person per firing point.
I don't know if that's a rule but there is no reason to rotate (unless you only have 2 rifles. Riiiiiiight!). You pay by the hour or day, not by the target or lane.
As Gewehr43 said, leave your gear in the car. Go in the clubhouse, pay, watch the safety training and browse the store.
1st timers will DRIVE to the 100 yard range. When they see you can hold the black you can go to the 200-600 range.
Drive back to the clubhouse and park.
Get a golf cart (or 2) and drive your gear and friends to the 200-600 range.
They will tell you all the processes and make you feel welcome.
There are 60 firing points at the 200-600. It won't be full unless there's a match.
JH

10thmountain 04-19-2018 07:12 AM

I love that place. So much fun to see what you can get out of yourself and your rifle.

Carriec 04-19-2018 08:10 AM

Thanks again for the input. We are looking forward to the trip. Have to make the proper sacrifices to the WX gods as usual.

Laphroaig 04-20-2018 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10thmountain (Post 1709754)
I love that place. So much fun to see what you can get out of yourself and your rifle.

Its like the Augusta National of shooting sports. Just amazing.

Kilo-Sierra 04-21-2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZvenoMan (Post 1709753)
1 person per firing point.
I don't know if that's a rule but there is no reason to rotate (unless you only have 2 rifles. Riiiiiiight!). You pay by the hour or day, not by the target or lane.
As Gewehr43 said, leave your gear in the car. Go in the clubhouse, pay, watch the safety training and browse the store.
1st timers will DRIVE to the 100 yard range. When they see you can hold the black you can go to the 200-600 range.
Drive back to the clubhouse and park.
Get a golf cart (or 2) and drive your gear and friends to the 200-600 range.
They will tell you all the processes and make you feel welcome.
There are 60 firing points at the 200-600. It won't be full unless there's a match.
JH

The bolded part is a must. 54 firing points. The golf carts make life easier for you. The RO will explain how to use the monitors for scoring. you will want to know how to change targets, reset the reset the target, etc. don't be afraid to ask for help. I know all the guys that work there and they are more than eager/willing to help. Even if there is a match going on it's no big deal. they shoot the match at one end and "normal" shooters shoot at the other end. it will be a good experience for you. Enjoy!

Keith Schachle

Scout706 04-21-2018 09:21 AM

Golf cart is included in range fee

Bailey 04-25-2018 10:27 AM

One other note. When I have been there, the car gate on Turner Mill road didnít open until fairly close to the 9:00 am opening time.