CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Is it Real or Repro? (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   To "Correct" a firearm or not? (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=257234)

broomhandle 01-07-2020 10:04 AM

To "Correct" a firearm or not?

Hi All,

I think this is a hard question to answer! I'm thinking about having just one "CORRECT" as issued firearm.:confused:
I have a # of old US military firearms. I'm a average shooter. I buy a firearm from the CMP. clean it & shoot it. I ENJOY shooting & having a part of history!
It is a ALWAYS a functional firearm, (NOT a SAFE QUEEN) the mixed parts are part of it's total history to date! IF a part needs to be replaced I do it.
I have a collector pal that is a "CORRECT" as issued type of guy. It works for him.
My question is:

Can I /WE ever recoup the amount of money we drop into a mismatched firearm to at least break even. Is it just the satisfaction of the search for parts? Can we gain a eventual bonus in price, if we put it up for sale. Added: I'm a old guy & don't have much time left. I want to leave info for the family, so they can get a fair price for my hobby stuff.

Thanks for any thoughts on this subject,
broomhandle

Herrmann 01-07-2020 10:22 AM

I personally have no use for mixmasters. The only one of 30+ Garands I own is a Winchester rebuilt at Springfield and marked SA52. I also have a large collection of 1911s which are all investment grade.

To each his own!

8511 01-07-2020 10:37 AM

To correct!

To answer this, you need to think/define "value". Is money the value, or is the rifle and it's history the value? The both play a role, really can't have one without the other, unless you came onto a lucky find!

However, I remember a post on jousters, years back, where someone said about paying to much for a gun, " you never pay to much, just paid it to early " , or the guys on American Pickers, " if you haven't seen it before, you better get it when you do!".

My 03's all, except one, have had some kind of part replacement from arsenal overhaul, and that's part of their life, I leave them as such! I can tell you from experience, if any firearm has been in a Marine unit, parts have been mixed!! That's part of their life!

I read the books, inform the kids of the gun's history, and they're happy with that!! All these old guns are valuable!

drwitte 01-07-2020 10:40 AM

I prefer correcting M1s. Though the only non-corrected M1 I have is my best shooter with a SA-64 barrel, and was of course rebuilt with mixmaster parts. 😬

broomhandle 01-07-2020 02:42 PM

Hi Fellows,

Thanks for the reply's I have to think on this subject a while!

I was a Hot Rod car guy many years ago. I NEEDED a 3/4 race cam, four speed trans. & two four barrel carbs duels & cut outs on my car.
I lived in NYC it did not make sense But I did it for years,
broom

Herrmann 01-07-2020 02:49 PM

" bin there done that ". Reminds me too much of myself when I look in the mirror these days!

T38Carbine 01-07-2020 02:54 PM

What’s correct to one person might be looked at differently by another?

weimar_police 01-07-2020 02:59 PM

In the luger world where I collect, most collectors would say a 'corrected' gun is not accurate.
To me there is a fine line, but for lugers, almost each part is numbered, so harder to do.

If you bought it as a mixmaster - I can't imagine you will ever get your money out of it (in the short term, maybe 5 yrs). Longer term, things are worth more, generally.
Used to be 'shooter' lugers were high at $400 and now we quote $800+

Also, you will get 47 answers from 47 different people who post on any forum ;)

krdomingue 01-07-2020 03:10 PM

I prefer correct to not correct, but I am not going to spend a small fortune to correct something. I have Springfield M1 with a gas trap receiver. It is cool to have, but it will never be corrected by me. And then there are certain rifles that there is no need to bother. Rebuilds with etching on them and M1Ds should be left as is.

UncleBilly 01-07-2020 04:56 PM

so called "correct" grades do bring more money. because people like to have a rifle that first came from the factory or arsenal that way.

personally, I wouldn't pay extra for one, it's not going to make the rifle shoot any better.