• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • N8232J
    • Feb 2018

IMR4166/Garand current thinking?

New M1 loader here.

I've loaded for bolt rifles for some time, and have researched the requirements for loading safe ammunition for the Garand.

First range session went pretty well, and other than being a little rough on brass the things are a hoot to shoot.

I've started with the usual H4895 and IMR4064 powders. They work fine, but we all like to tinker.

All I can find on IMR4166 is old news, somewhat alarmist, and written when the powder was apparently new to the market. The idea of a copper fouling reducer built in to the propellant is intriguing.

Does anyone use this stuff?
  • DJEinConcord
    • Oct 2009

I used it in 308 for FTR class with excellent results. Load development revealed very small accuracy nodes. Work it up til you find a node and then increment no more than .2 grains to fine tune. Does not meter well.

That said i am interested in 30-06 loads. Have not had time...

Comment

• N8232J
      • Feb 2018

Thank-you for that DJE.

In a thread that dates to 10 of 2015, a member here called MZ5 was headed off to test this new and wonderful powder.

Then the thread ended.

Curious.

Comment

• goryshaw
        • Jun 2013

I've been using it for a couple years; 46.5 gr with Nosler 168 gr CC. It holds the black on a SR-1 as long as I do my part, generally windage is 10 ring, but elevation tends to creep into the 8 ring, but I suspect that is my position shifting rather than the ammunition.

Definitely less fouling than HXP, and the de-coppering agent seems to work, cleaning with Patch Out gets little if any blue on the patches.

Comment

• Dusty31
          • Dec 2015

I've dabbled with 4166 for the M1, been working my way through an 8 pounder I bought when it first came out.

Two separate acquaintances in the industry have commented on notable inconsistent lot-to-lot performance with it. I can't say I've experienced that, still working from the same lot.
          My buyer/seller Feedback here: https://forums.thecmp.org/forum/marketplace/buyer-seller-feedback-forum/185985-dusty-31-feedback

Comment

Working...
          X