CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Ammunition (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   AMMUNITION QUESTION for Garand! (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=3017)

SaCCaL 12-04-2009 06:24 AM

AMMUNITION QUESTION for Garand!

First thing: I am in the market to purchase my first M1 Garand, everyone is telling me to purchase an USGI M1 and not one of the newer ones put together by the current Springfield Armory. Most people are telling me to purchase a Special Grade from CMP, is this good advice?

Ammo Question: I am told you can not shoot modern day 30/06 ammo in an USGI M1 Garand because it has been dialed down since the earlier days and will have trouble chambering the next round, is this true? If so, what kind of ammo can you use, where do you get it, and how much does it cost? Thanks in advance for your help.

78jeep 12-04-2009 06:51 AM

sir, yes the CMP special is a very good deal to get a good shooter. they also back it up with great customer service.
as far as the ammo is concerned, yes you need ammo for a Garand, like M-2 ball. the CMP is getting a new shipment in soon. Federal and Hornaday has some Garand safe ammo, but its a bit pricey. you can also get an adjustable gas plug for it and shoot about anything you want. most of the commercial 30.06 ammo is made for a bolt gun, which uses slow burning powder, the Garand needs a fast burning powder to save the op-rod.
short answer, buy from the CMP and you can't go wrong, get a Special or a service grad. also ask a lot of questions, there is a lot of help here. HTH

cpbrown 12-04-2009 07:25 AM

If you want an example of a M1 much as it was used in service that will also be a good shooter, get a service grade. That is where my addiction started. If you want a M1 that looks new (and has a new stock and barrel) get a CMP Special. But you will be spending about 67% more than for a service grade. I bought one when they first came out and were a $100 cheaper than today. It is now my main shooter. The best deal going right now seems to be the special grades sold only at the stores but that is meaningless unless you can get to a store. If I could get to a store I would buy one of these instead of the CMP Special.

For ammo, right now you are limited to the commercial loads that are made for the M1 round or buying HXP sold at gun shows or online at gunbroker. Not cheap ammo but you could buy enough to get you by until the CMP is back in stock with HXP early next year.

Nucsnipe 12-04-2009 09:18 AM

Based on what I have read here in the forums from many more knowledgeable persons, you can shoot any 30-06 ammo with a bullet ranging from 110 grains up to 180 grains. It will cycle your action and load the rounds. The problem with the slower burning powder in commercial ammo is that the pressure at the gas port will be higher than design and will cycle the action too hard. This will cause damage to the gas cylinder, op-rod, and other key components over time. The key to using commercial ammo is to get an adjustable gas plug for the gas cylinder which will bleed off the pressure so the gas system can cycle safely and will not be damaged.

The other option is to buy ammo specifically designed for the Garand such as is sold by Hornady and Federal. The better option is to wait and buy the M2 Ball from the CMP when it is available in the near future.

The Service grade is a great deal and can give you many years of shooting enjoyment. A "Special" grade bought at one of the stores is also a great deal and may give you longer life. The customer service at CMP is the best. I do not think you can go wrong and will spend less money than getting a Springfield Arms remake.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you have a great time shooting.

GBS1 12-04-2009 12:17 PM

I recently purchased a CMP Special and am very pleased with it. For three hundred extra dollars, I believe it a good value. Compare it to other commercially rebuilt "as new" Garands and you'll see what I mean. Mine looks brand new inside and out and has so far performed flawlessly. I realize there is a vast collector culture out there with some who might see it as something less than pure, but opinions about guns are as varied as the individuals who use them. I'm sure the Service Grades are mostly fine, but there is an increased element of chance about them if you don't buy in person. Although I love the rifle and its history, I'm neither a gunsmith or a Garand expert. I wanted something that had been looked at front-to-back and had minimal chance of becoming a "science project". I'm currently using Federal American Eagle Garand ammo. It's fairly easy to find online for about $1 a round. I'll be buying the CMP stuff when it becomes available.

SaCCaL 12-04-2009 01:01 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. I am just wondering what people are going to do when the surplus ammo runs out. Eventually it got to, it can't last forever. Either the modern companies are going to have to mass produce it more or there are going to be a lot guns hanging over people's mantles... I am going to look into the variable gas port just in case. I, as GBS1 has noted, am not a Garand expert and although it would be nice to have an "as issued" rifle I am more for something that will shoot straight, look good, and last longer. I am all for having a Correct or Collector grade M1 but 1. I don't have the money, or should I say, can't justify spending that much for a non shooter and 2. I want something I can shoot and not worry that I am going to decrease the value of. I would just love to have a Garand and if in the future, God willing, I have the money for a Collector, I probably will buy one. How does yours shoot GBS1? I am so afraid of buying a gun through the mail without seeing it first, especially something like a Garand. I wish I could visit the store but it is kinda far for a day trip, it would have to be a weekend trip. Do they have guns there like the CMP Special to purchase or are they only the Service and Rack Grade ones there? Thanks in advance, have a great day!

eaglescouter 12-04-2009 01:07 PM

When the CMP 'runs out' of surplus ammunition I will reload my own, or I will buy the replacement ammo that the CMP offers.

ceresco 12-04-2009 01:46 PM

IMO--handloading has always been the absolute, best source of quality ammo for the M1. Good Shooting.......

SaCCaL 12-04-2009 01:48 PM

Reloading

Yeah, it probably is, but you really have to know what you are doing and have the equipment to do so. It would probably be worth it in the long run, it will pay for itself but as I stated, you really have to know what you are doing.

eaglescouter 12-04-2009 01:51 PM

Reloading is not scary or complicated. It simply requires that you do some homework and pay attention while on the job.