CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Smallbore (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Kimber 82g (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=257627)

Sako30 01-15-2020 10:34 PM

Kimber 82g

I have two of the CMP Kimber 82g's and they disappoint with their accuracy. Does anyone make a good barrel for the 82g that would compare to an Anschutz barrel quality?

Doubs43 01-16-2020 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sako30 (Post 1902891)
I have two of the CMP Kimber 82g's and they disappoint with their accuracy. Does anyone make a good barrel for the 82g that would compare to an Anschutz barrel quality?

Have you tried good quality cartridges in your Kimbers? Center-X, Midas Plus and the higher grade Eley generally do well.

Back when the CMP was offering the Kimber 82g's new for $500 complete with sights, I agonized over buying one. However, reports were mixed concerning accuracy. Some shot great while other not so and it seemed to be about even. It was a case of luck of the draw and I didn't buy one.

Skeet6 01-16-2020 04:34 AM

Try re-crowning it before rebarreling. Some of them have issues.
Mike B

navyrifleman 01-16-2020 10:00 AM

I bought a used Kimber Model 82 from the CMP back around 2007. It had been used by an ROTC rifle team, I believe, and the stock was a bit scratched up. But the rifle is a real tack driver. Most accurate rifle I have ever owned.

I have since refinished the stock and added the proper Australian made sights.

Additionally, I added a Freeland adjustable butt and a hand stop with sling swivel from a Parker & Hale target rifle.

I use mainly Federal long rifle hollow points and they have proven accurate and reliable.

Try mounting a good quality scope on your rifles and use a good quality bench rest to see if you can get a consistent grouping.

Jakeroub 01-16-2020 10:43 AM

I have heard that there is a test for estimating if a particular 82G should be an accurate one. I forget the details, but it involved shoving something (cleaning brush? patch? bullet?) down the bore from the breech end to the muzzle. If it gets more and more difficult as you go, that means the barrel is tighter towards the muzzle and will be a good shooter.

Sako30 01-16-2020 04:23 PM

One rifle was recrowned with only a slight improvement. I've cleaned the barrel between brands and used Federal match, SK, Eley, Center X, Aguila and more, I've had other acomplished shooters shoot both rifles with the same results.
I use a nightforce target scope and shoot from a very good bench.
In perfect conditions the guns will hold about 3moa at a hundred yards and my friends Benjamin air rifle shooting beside me shoots a 1.25 moa off of the same bench.

Orlando 01-16-2020 05:31 PM

I find it strange that you got have two Kimbers and are both having accuracy problems. Have you torqued the action screws and how many inch lbs are they set at?
Also give chamber area a good scrubbing with brush and solvent.

Kestrel4k 01-16-2020 05:48 PM

+1 on checking to see if the bbl is reverse-choked - one intrepid soul in that situation even reinstalled the bbl backward & reworked the rifle.
Sounds like more fun than merely installing a new bbl, at least. :-/
OP, I have a few articles on improving the accuracy of these rifles, if you're interested.

Sako30 01-16-2020 09:02 PM

WE torqued the action screws at 25 inch pounds.
I have never heard of a gun with a reverse choke barrel.

Orlando 01-17-2020 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sako30 (Post 1903176)
WE torqued the action screws at 25 inch pounds.
I have never heard of a gun with a reverse choke barrel.

Some of these rifles are torque sensitive. Start at 18lbs fire five rds ,look at accuracy torque again at 22lbs fire rds ,check accuracy, etc etc, work your way up to 35 lbs etc. See were the sweet spot is
It takes some time but is not unusual

Sako30 01-17-2020 02:10 PM

I am still wondering if any barrel maker makes a high quality barrel for the Kimber 82g.

ntsams 01-17-2020 03:29 PM

Have the crown checked. There are several articles that say the early rifles had crown issues and were not accurate. Also very touchy with stock torque. I had one and never could get it to shoot compared to my M12 or 541X.

thorswhisper 01-18-2020 04:58 PM

I would contact Kreiger and see if they would do a barrel for you. Obviously there’s no one listing a barrel for an 82G.

JB2205 01-24-2020 10:03 AM

I own three of the Kimber 82G models. I had shot one of them over the years and have one hole 5 shot groups off of a bench at 25 yds. using the military 51 ft small bore targets. The ammo I used was the bulk Federal 550 rounds to a box, not match ammo. I recently, after reading this post, shot the other two rifles to see if I had a bad one. Using the same targets and ammo I found out that I had a second one as accurate as the first. The third one was not so accurate and I mean by a lot. Yesterday I took the bad one out and started to torque the screws and trying to make it better with no luck. Before I left the range I decided to use different ammo and tried CCI and Rem Thunderbolts. The CCI was a little better than the Federal but not much. To my surprise, the cheapest dirtiest ammo, Rem thunderbolts, shot 5 shot one hole groups, go figure. Before you guys re-barrel and torque any more screws give some of the different ammos a try, even the ones that many of you would never have bought. I am glad I did and my apology for the long post, hope it can help some of you.

Sako30 01-24-2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB2205 (Post 1905404)
I own three of the Kimber 82G models. I had shot one of them over the years and have one hole 5 shot groups off of a bench at 25 yds. using the military 51 ft small bore targets. The ammo I used was the bulk Federal 550 rounds to a box, not match ammo. I recently, after reading this post, shot the other two rifles to see if I had a bad one. Using the same targets and ammo I found out that I had a second one as accurate as the first. The third one was not so accurate and I mean by a lot. Yesterday I took the bad one out and started to torque the screws and trying to make it better with no luck. Before I left the range I decided to use different ammo and tried CCI and Rem Thunderbolts. The CCI was a little better than the Federal but not much. To my surprise, the cheapest dirtiest ammo, Rem thunderbolts, shot 5 shot one hole groups, go figure. Before you guys re-barrel and torque any more screws give some of the different ammos a try, even the ones that many of you would never have bought. I am glad I did and my apology for the long post, hope it can help some of you.

I would be real interested in how the three 82g's shoot for you at 100yds. no one around here shoots at 25yds and the ones I want to shoot against only shoot 100yd matches.
Thanks for your reply.

Orlando 01-24-2020 06:36 PM

Wolf Match
8 rds
1 inch group
100yds off bench
Iron Sights
No wind
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...cture250-1.jpg

JB2205 01-24-2020 11:12 PM

I'm just one of the guys that shoot for fun, not competing against anyone. I was shooting at the military 51 ft. target, 12 small black targets on a 8x11 piece of paper, and without a scope on any of the rifles could not even see the black at 100 yds., I was using irons. Just putting my experience out there to help others with a possible easy fix to what may not really be a bad gun after all.

jwenum 01-25-2020 12:02 PM

Yup, screw torque is important; start at 18in-lbs and work your way up. You could find out a couple lbs. less on rear screw works also. Re-crown also a pretty cheap try also. Keep the cocking stud greased up good all the time. 'Rimfirecentral' has some pretty good write-ups.

Mike in NC 01-25-2020 01:39 PM

I have heard the suggestion that the Kimber 82G barrels were bored with a slight taper that was supposed to be tighter at the muzzle than at the breech. What has been suggested is that some of the barrels were machined with the tighter portion of the bore being at the breech rather than at the muzzle. I can't confirm that nor do I have a way to measure that, but that possibility has been suggested as a reason that some Kimber 82G rifles shoot much better than others. I am not a small bore nor Kimber expert, just passing along a thought that was told to me.

edlmann 01-25-2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwenum (Post 1905714)
Keep the cocking stud greased up good all the time.

Where to grease:

https://i.imgur.com/hDZSynU.jpg

nf1e 01-26-2020 02:01 PM

Mine prefers Wolf Match Extra over all other ammo.

Deuceguy 01-26-2020 03:42 PM

CCI and Wolf work.

ramiller 01-27-2020 08:47 AM

My Kimber shoots SK Match the best of all I have tested. Ron.

enbloc1942 01-27-2020 09:38 PM

CCI Standard Velocity 22 LR

I found this to be the most accurate in my 82's

Unlike most every other brand, weight and velocity the CCI standard shoots with the greatest constant. Allows the shooter to focus on hold, and trigger control while eliminating the cartridge variable to a greater extent than I have found in any other load.

TomH 01-29-2020 01:18 PM

I'm sure any barrel maker who makes .22 rimfire blanks would make a barrel for you. The problem might be knowing what thread and length the shoulder is without removing your existing barrel.
If you obtain a blank of the correct O.D. any reputable gunsmith who is experienced with rimfire work would be able to install it.

I understand there is some magic as to what reamer to use for a bolt gun chamber.

Lilja and Green Mountain are 2 companies that come to mind for rimfire blanks.

jwenum 01-29-2020 04:28 PM

Planning on trying Wolf extra this weekend. Mine likes Center-X and SK standard plus. CCI green tag not so much.

DRAGON64 01-31-2020 07:26 AM

My Kimbers loved the Wolf Match Extra.

ZvenoMan 02-03-2020 08:29 PM

It's pretty well known that .22s are ammo specific. One rifle will like one type of ammo, and the next rifle may make it look like bulk pack walmart ammo.

Collect a few types of match ammo and head to the range and test them. Remember, 3-5 rounds between the different ones. And make notes.

This rifle is for CMP matches, it's Tula tractor gun, far from a match rifle. But it surprises many people at the range based on the looks.

https://live.staticflickr.com/8187/8...51bb6687_z.jpg[/url]

https://live.staticflickr.com/8620/1...eb62c514_h.jpg

JH

jwenum 02-09-2020 12:15 PM

My 82g likes the match extra, no real flyers. Good thing because I've got a brick of it. Tried it in a high-end Stiller action with Shilen barrel set up for Eley&Lapua and the Wolf didn't like going into the chamber.

Orlando 02-09-2020 01:20 PM

50 yds
bench
scope
wolf match extra
5 rds
Darn flier, always has to be one in the group that spoils everything
https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f...pszjhwav2h.jpg

jwenum 02-10-2020 03:15 PM

Outdoors? Very nice.

Orlando 02-10-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwenum (Post 1910924)
Outdoors? Very nice.

Yes all my shooting is outdoors, no wind that day