X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kraaash
    • Jan 2013

Should I go tomorrow for first garand?

I took one trip a few months ago just to figure things out but had to wait till now to have the money, now it sounds like maybe ill be waiting till my next life, I want one that shoots well.
  • FuryUs
    • Dec 2012

Yes.

Comment

• mastergunnera8
      • Nov 2012

How far is the drive?...I'd go regardless if it under 8 hrs!!

Comment

• kraaash
        • Jan 2013

Under 2... I really don't have the money to blow if I can't get a nice one... It will ost Likely be my only

Comment

• Shomway
          • Apr 2012

Check the store reports....pickings look a little slim right now.
          31- 100% ITrader feedback prior to removal.
          Feedback....http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=209950

Comment

• kraaash
            • Jan 2013

That's what I'm seeing, but will they ever get better?

Comment

• Radionicist
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by kraaash View Post
              I took one trip a few months ago just to figure things out but had to wait till now to have the money, now it sounds like maybe ill be waiting till my next life, I want one that shoots well.
              If you're looking for a good shooter, you can't go wrong with one of the Special Grade rifles. There are plenty of them in stock in the store right now, too.

These are pretty much new rifles, with new barrels and furniture, and a new parkerized finish. Some of the stocks have beautiful figure.

if you're looking for something more collectible, this is not a good time to shop in the Store - the selection is limited.

Good luck!

Comment

• Shomway
                • Apr 2012

If you are looking for a decent Service Grade it might be a few months..thats according to Orest. You could always mail order one rather than going to the store. If you have the money the store does have Service Grade Specials...basicly new rifle with new wood..$950 or you could get a Special Grade which has reparked metal, new barrel, and new wood...$995. From whats been posted lately some of the mail ordered SGs have been pretty nice.

Comment

• mastergunnera8
                  • Nov 2012

If I was under 2 hours away id be broke (r)!!...I have a Service grade special that is amazing...sounds like they may be under 300 left..unless that's more than your pocket can handle right now...Id go check regardless...you never know!!! Agree with Shomway...throw in a mail order for a SG...it wont get charged until it ships...may be a bit...

Comment

• kraaash
                    • Jan 2013

Ya I'm sg price max for the foreseeable future , I would like a little collectibility with my garand

Comment

• Shomway
                      • Apr 2012

Well if you want collectability and a good shooter then you better wait till the store reports start getting better and then make the trip. Mail order is a bit of a crap shoot.

Comment

• kraaash
                        • Jan 2013

Thanks for the help

Comment

• dpd3672
                          • Sep 2010

Thinking about making the trip on Friday, just to look over the HRA rackers and maybe pick up another Navy B/R. Not sure, though, probably depends on weather and what other plans I have for the day.
                          Pictures, please; I live vicariously through the purchases of others...

Comment

• lseries
                            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by kraaash View Post
                            Ya I'm sg price max for the foreseeable future ,
                            Nothing wrong with a good service grade!

I would like a little collectibility with my garand
                            I understand what you're saying, but, honestly, ALL Garands are historic at this point just for being what they are.

Comment

• bergerboy
                              • Jun 2012

I took the chance last Saturday and made the 2 hour trip down from Mich, and wasn't disappointed.
                              They had just put out a full rack of Winchester Service Grades that morning, and by the time I got there around 10am, there were only about half of them left.
                              So, I came away with a very nice WRA SG - with a 1.3M serial number receiver (May of 43), SA barrel from 1949 that measured a 1+/2, and an SA trigger group.
                              All dressed out in beautiful new CMP oiled walnut stock.
                              Wasn't exactly what I was looking for, and spent a little more than I had planned ($795 for the Winnie's), but came away very happy with the acquisition, especially after the tear-down inspection when I got it home. The mechs were all in tip-top shape, and many of the pieces look to be barely used!
                              Looking forward to taking it out to the range - once this cold snap breaks.
                              Bottom-line, you never know what's going to be there in front of you when you get buzzed in that door!
                              If you're within a decent drive radius, its at least a fun day trip.
                              Hit the Bob Evans in Oregon for a late breakfast with my son - and of course Cabellas in Dundee on our way back home.
                              All in all, a great day!

Comment

Working...
                              X