CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   CMP 1911 (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Ithaca/Colt 38 AMU Match Pistol (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=252225)

genripper 09-21-2019 04:55 PM

Ithaca/Colt 38 AMU Match Pistol

I recently acquired this 1911 match pistol and am wondering about its origins and who might have possibly built it.

https://imgur.com/a/zFRVF4d

It's a Colt 38 AMU Kit on a blued Ithaca frame with a RIA rebuild stamp. There are no other armory rebuild marks (with the possible exception of a small punch mark above the P on the left side of the frame)such as seen on US SA/RIA .45 NM pistols.

It's interesting to me that the markings on the frame are crisp and clear after being blued, I figure they would be pretty well gone if the frame was buffed at all before bluing. Bluing on slide appears to be original Colt. Rear sight is an Elliason and the front sight is similar to a US NM 1911.

The gun is TIGHT and the trigger pull is very light and crisp, in fact the barrel bushing will not even turn. Slide and frame are polished internally and is very smooth.

Any thoughts as whether this was built by AMU or Air Force armorers or someone else. The info is a little thin out there. I have the Jenkins, Meadows and Clawson books for reference.

Appreciate any thoughts, opinions or places to look, etc.

Thanks!

Kurt

TW56 09-21-2019 06:42 PM

Colt sold kits consisting of a frame and a top "half" so gunsmiths could make 38 AMU target pistols. Might be a civilian gunsmith built bullseye pistol.

Wakko 09-21-2019 07:49 PM

Nothing close in SRS, FWIW.

genripper 09-21-2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TW56 (Post 1870793)
Colt sold kits consisting of a frame and a top "half" so gunsmiths could make 38 AMU target pistols. Might be a civilian gunsmith built bullseye pistol.

I was thinking since the AMU developed the round that they got most of the AMU kits, commercial smiths were using the 38 Special MR kits, but sheer speculation on my part. The US NM type front sight, Elliason rear sight and Ithaca frame give it more of a military origin feel to it.

Thanks for the input!

Kurt

jwenum 09-22-2019 08:42 AM

Kurt, the trick on bbl bushing is pull the slide back about 1/2” or so when trying to remove bushing. Loosens up the bbl to bushing tightness.

genripper 09-22-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwenum (Post 1870867)
Kurt, the trick on bbl bushing is pull the slide back about 1/2Ē or so when trying to remove bushing. Loosens up the bbl to bushing tightness.

Thanks, that's what I thought at first, after retracting the slide a bit to insure the barrel was free the bushing still won't turn, like it is stuck in the slide. Tried using a cheapie plastic bushing wrench with no luck.

bpm32 09-22-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genripper (Post 1870874)
Thanks, that's what I thought at first, after retracting the slide a bit to insure the barrel was free the bushing still won't turn, like it is stuck in the slide. Tried using a cheapie plastic bushing wrench with no luck.

Not sure Iím reading correctly, but did you remove the slide stop pin first? Thatís how you disassemble a match 1911. Once the slide is off with the barrel in it you can use the barrel to knock out the bushing or use a Nylon or brass punch to knock it out from the inside of the recoil spring housing in the slide.

Some of the AMU smiths didnít believe the barrel should routinely come out of the slide (they cleaned the barrel from the front).

genripper 09-23-2019 12:08 PM

I did take the slide stop pin out and removed the complete top end.

I will try your suggestions, they really didn't want the barel bushing to come out!

THanks,

Kurt

SteveSteven 09-23-2019 09:12 PM

Kurt,
I used to build M1911 Match pistols, and the front bushing was TIGHT, some I had to put the slide in the vise and use the wrench (steel) to turn it.

I have a box of 38AMU white box ammo if you want it, think its full. Had three boxes but some have gone away. I am in Chesapeake VA, UPS shipping can be expensive.

Steve

genripper 09-23-2019 09:50 PM

Thanks!

PM sent.