CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Accessories (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Adjusting focus on M84 (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=251834)

Rich/WIS 09-12-2019 01:21 PM

Adjusting focus on M84

Tried to turn eyepiece but it doesn't seem to want to move. Figured I'd check and be sure before I went gorilla on it. This is the repro that Numrich was selling several years ago.

judrch 09-14-2019 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich/WIS (Post 1868535)
Tried to turn eyepiece but it doesn't seem to want to move. Figured I'd check and be sure before I went gorilla on it. This is the repro that Numrich was selling several years ago.

Not that I'm aware of...fixed power. Only windage and elevation adjustment. Sounds like you might have one that's been opened up...maybe check the front objective lens see if it's been or attempted to been removed.

Twinson 09-14-2019 11:52 AM

The eyepiece is focused by moving the erector assembly towards or away from the reticle. The paralax is adjusted by moving the objective assembly closer or further from the reticle on the other end of the scope. This is for USGI scopes.

Rich/WIS 09-15-2019 08:26 AM

Tried again, finally got it to move. Looks like they used plumbers putty as a sealant, Cleaned the dried sealant off and a dab of RIG to ease movement. Only problem is now it turns too easy, have to clean the threads and figure what to use as a sealant that will allow adjustment but hold once adjusted.

judrch 09-15-2019 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich/WIS (Post 1869222)
Tried again, finally got it to move. Looks like they used plumbers putty as a sealant, Cleaned the dried sealant off and a dab of RIG to ease movement. Only problem is now it turns too easy, have to clean the threads and figure what to use as a sealant that will allow adjustment but hold once adjusted.

Way to go:GS:

Eugen 09-20-2019 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinson (Post 1869015)
The eyepiece is focused by moving the erector assembly towards or away from the reticle. The paralax is adjusted by moving the objective assembly closer or further from the reticle on the other end of the scope. This is for USGI scopes.

Would you be so kind as to provide a more detailed explanation of how to make those adjustments that you mentioned? I just acquired a USGI M84 and am trying to figure it out like the OP.

Where is the "erector assembly" and how does one adjust it? Similarly, where is the "objective assembly" and specifically how is it adjusted? Neither end (assembly?) of my scope appears to move with a firm hand grip and twist. :confused: I don't want to force any twisting such that I damage the scope due to my ignorance or a prior owner having used a product that nearly glued the components/assemblies together. I'd like to learn about this scope more before messing around any further with it.

Does a operations/service manual exist for these scopes? If so, are copies available? I'd sure like to have one. This novice M1D owner is not only new to M1Ds but scoped rifles in general. :D

Twinson 09-20-2019 06:13 PM

On USGI scopes, these adjustments are all internal with special tube wrenches.

Logdog 01-09-2020 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinson (Post 1870586)
On USGI scopes, these adjustments are all internal with special tube wrenches.

A good quality spanner wrench is necessary to adjust scopes internally. Must have the proper reach and size to work the confined area in a scope. Cost is around $50-100.

Whitpusmc 01-09-2020 10:57 PM

If anyone has a manual that shows these adjustments I too would be interested. I’ve nit been using my M84 (using a repro M82 for now) but would like to in the future.

MadDog1969 01-15-2020 01:55 PM

Hello Whitpusmc,

M84 Manuals:

Search the "How To" forum here. Specifically you can start with this posting by lapriester:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=146161

He is a very knowledgeable and helpful member. He suggested links to several "free" manuals!

Good luck!

MadDog 1969