CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Smallbore (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Standard or High Velocity .22? (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=239030)

USMCRE9D 12-31-2018 08:49 AM

Standard or High Velocity .22?

Relatively new to small bore shooting. Can someone with experience recommend High Velocity or Standard Velocity ammo for the Mossberg 44US and the H&R Model 12? Distance is 25 Yards. Thanks and Happy New Year!

BRMPCF50 12-31-2018 12:29 PM

Oh my, that question can lead to endless 'cussin and discussion...

Standard velocity or subsonic seems to shoot more accurately than high velocity.

Each of my 22 target rifles prefers different ammo. That said, they all shoot CCI standard velocity acceptably well. If a gun won't shoot CCI standard velocity well, then that gun won't shoot anything well.

I’ve had good luck with most of the CCI variations. The CCI Sub-sonic LR HP seems to be especially good. Some Eley and Lapua loadings are better, but that improvement comes at a price, sometimes a very steep price. I’m not good enough to be worth that premium price…

As for rimfire ammunition testing… I think thousands of rounds may be required. ��

A few years ago I picked up the book, “Rifleman’s Guide to Rimfire Ammunition” (copyright 2006, author Steven Boelter). He fired in excess of 32,000 rounds: 11 different manufacturers, 137 different labels. Test rifles were a variety from a Ruger 10/22 to target and benchrest rifles. The bottom line was that different rifles “like” different labels, so one has to test one’s own rifle to see what it likes to eat. But some manufacturers and labels were “better” overall across the test rifles.

Doubs43 12-31-2018 12:38 PM

While each rifle is a law unto itself and will prefer a specific cartridge or cartridges, best accuracy will be with standard velocity 99.9% of the time.

Keep in mind that 25 yards is not a good distance to determine what cartridge is best. Many cartridges will give one hole groups at that distance. Moving out to 50 yards will give a better indication.

Musashi 12-31-2018 02:43 PM

Consider buying a variety of Match ammo, FGMM, Eley, CCI, Fiocchi, SK, RWS, and Wolf. See what performs best in your rifles. if I recall correctly these are all in the 1040fps range, not HV.

Kestrel4k 12-31-2018 02:45 PM

Conversely, with the OP's 25-yd requirement, often good-quality bulk HV like CCI Blazer can shoot virtually the same-sized groups as the somewhat-more expensive CCI SV.

But all things considered, CCI SV @ ~$30/brick is an excellent place to start.

la Fiere 12-31-2018 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRMPCF50 (Post 1788195)

Each of my 22 target rifles prefers different ammo. That said, they all shoot CCI standard velocity acceptably well. If a gun won't shoot CCI standard velocity well, then that gun won't shoot anything well.

This has been my experience as well. I'd also include Wolf "Match" and "Match Extra" as one that seems to shoot well in most rifles.

Kerz 01-01-2019 05:49 AM

I too have found .22 rimfire rifles and pistols to have specific preferences for ammo. Examples include: accurized Ruger 22/45 that shot a specific brick of Winchester as well as Eley, a custom built Ruger 10-22 hvy barrel that really liked CCI Green Tag and a Savage hvy barrel factory gun. The Savage story is kinda neat. Bought the Savage about 4 years ago and topped it off with a Leupold scope. Had some Remington .22 from CMP, Ely 10x, some Winchester std velocity. Benched the gun and shot 50 yds. Best I could get was about ~2" group. 100 yds was downright bad.

The NRA convention was coming up in a couple of weeks. I stopped by their booth to discuss my findings. Really expecting someone to say I would need to return the gun. They were quite busy but I found a really nice rep who seemed concerned. His advice was try some CCI Stringer ammo. Huh, "really" I said. He stated that his kids had the same rifle and that's what shot best. He gave me his business card and told me to call him if the CCI didn't perform and he'd take care of the problem. I'm thinking, nice guy!

That evening I'm telling my story to the guys over a beer and took the business card out. The rep was the president of Savage! And yes, the Stringers worked. 5 shots at 50 yds were touching and the 100 yd group was an inch.

Vic

USMCRE9D 01-01-2019 06:43 AM

Thanks to all for your advice and recommendations. Happy New Year!

slickshot223 01-01-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerz (Post 1788430)
I too have found .22 rimfire rifles and pistols to have specific preferences for ammo. Examples include: accurized Ruger 22/45 that shot a specific brick of Winchester as well as Eley, a custom built Ruger 10-22 hvy barrel that really liked CCI Green Tag and a Savage hvy barrel factory gun. The Savage story is kinda neat. Bought the Savage about 4 years ago and topped it off with a Leupold scope. Had some Remington .22 from CMP, Ely 10x, some Winchester std velocity. Benched the gun and shot 50 yds. Best I could get was about ~2" group. 100 yds was downright bad.

The NRA convention was coming up in a couple of weeks. I stopped by their booth to discuss my findings. Really expecting someone to say I would need to return the gun. They were quite busy but I found a really nice rep who seemed concerned. His advice was try some CCI Stringer ammo. Huh, "really" I said. He stated that his kids had the same rifle and that's what shot best. He gave me his business card and told me to call him if the CCI didn't perform and he'd take care of the problem. I'm thinking, nice guy!

That evening I'm telling my story to the guys over a beer and took the business card out. The rep was the president of Savage! And yes, the Stringers worked. 5 shots at 50 yds were touching and the 100 yd group was an inch.

Vic

Must have been Ron Coburn!!

mustang82 01-01-2019 10:44 AM

My experience is that standard velocity or "match" ammo (approx. 1070fps) shoots tighter groups than "HV" (approx. 1250fps) in everything I own. It does not always cycle the semi autos but does shoot better. I try to stick with the middle of the road in cost and have had great luck with Eley Club, Wolf Match Target, CCI Standard, and Lapua Center X. The CCI Standard may not be the most accurate in any one firearm but tends to give acceptable groups in everything I own.
Informative article:
https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/...t-22-lr-loads/