CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   CMP North Store (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   The perennial lack of rifles at north store (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=249797)

SUPERX-M1 08-02-2019 01:02 PM

The perennial lack of rifles at north store

I read many years ago that north store once accounted for 25 % of cmp sales. Not any more.

CMP, basically,will not ship rifles from n or s stores to your destination anymore- You take the rifle with you. So cmp does not bear the cost of shipping from n or s stores ,and, practically speaking, never did. If the rifle is ordered online, the rifle is shipped at no cost to the buyer. The cost is included in the cost of the rifle.

If cmp desired it, they could ship a large quantity of rifles to n store, in a very large box truck or tractor trailer. There would be expense but probably no more than fedexing individual rifles thru online sales.

So, selling rifles at north store would be no more expensive than selling thru online sales. It would also help defray the expense of having the n store.

Perhaps, the issue is that online sales are so large that cmp does not feel the need to involve n store further than they do .

I have heard it said that cmp would like to eliminate n store. For various reasons that i certainly do not know, they do not.

CMP N does receive an occasional , infrequent small shipment of rifles.If you have advance notice of this or are lucky enough to be on site at that day or days the stock lasts then you are fortunate.

It is possible that cmp will be taking on a larger role in competitive shooting. I do not know this, however. CMP does play the role in the cmp national matches, and supports the shooting sports in many ways ,which is certainly wonderful.

I am not criticizing cmp, they are doing what they feel is best for cmp and the shooting sports, and we are grateful for what they do.

Best of luck to all of us .

bandofM1 08-02-2019 09:12 PM

Alot of us got nice rifles in the last few weeks. Thankyou cmp! Nice 03's and very nice Garands. I was very happy to get a 3-45 S.A. Service grade. All corrrect but stock. And a nice IHC service grade lmr barrel. There were full racks of ( lock bars and WW-2 barrels)sg -sa IHC sg's and full rack of 03's. Lots of great rifles and they sell fast,very fast!

nf1e 08-03-2019 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandofM1 (Post 1855786)
Alot of us got nice rifles in the last few weeks. Thankyou cmp! Nice 03's and very nice Garands. I was very happy to get a 3-45 S.A. Service grade. All corrrect but stock. And a nice IHC service grade lmr barrel. There were full racks of ( lock bars and WW-2 barrels)sg -sa IHC sg's and full rack of 03's. Lots of great rifles and they sell fast,very fast!

Positive reports rule. Thank you Sir. I have been to the NS the last few mornings but missed the 03s. Oh well. The Field grade specials are looking better to me every visit.

The early bird gets the worm!

lite-box 08-03-2019 04:24 PM

Store has been pethetic all week.maybe if you where first in line at opening there was something but it was all gone by the afternoon for those of us actually shooting matches all day. The 4:30pm shooters only opening a couple days ago they only put out a handful of 03 that we're snatched up by the first 8 people through door. They put NO new stock of m1's out at all for it.

M1 sniper 08-03-2019 04:36 PM

I donít know, I was there on Tuesday at 3:00 and was able to
Select a nice 03 . There were about 6-7 of them and a whole rack
Full of device grade sa garands too. Iím not trying to toot my horn
But I donít think Iíve ever been disappointed at the north store, Iím not
One to stand in like at the crack of dawn either.

nf1e 08-03-2019 05:09 PM

Field grade specials were gone this morning so a Win13 receivered CMP special is following me home.
Talked to a shooter that says he managed to find a nice 04 yesterday at 4:30.
Super to hear that some folks are managing to find the gems.

Lucabrazzi 08-04-2019 10:57 AM

Arrived at 0530 Saturday and two others pulled in the same time. One gentlemen was already sitting at the picnic table since 0430. At 0830 30 people were waiting for the doors to open. It was slightly disappointing that no 1903s were there, even one, and newly stocked M1's. I have been arriving (and sometimes shoot) on the Garand Match day since 1998 and that was always the big day for "Surprises" for the Garand shooters. Now it is spread all during week with the excitement. No complaints at all just have to change strategy and drive across state a few times that week. I did find some items that were there all week (or longer) that I picked up. I found four (4) Win 13 Receivers on the Winchester specials. I picked out one for the nice gentleman from Pittsburgh that arrived the same time I did and I purchased one. There were still two (2) left. I also found a rack grade Winchester M1D with a MW = 1.25 and a TE = 4.0. I then went to Commercial Row to finish the day out. Overall a great day for all who went yesterday.

RobbyO 08-04-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUPERX-M1 (Post 1855647)
I read many years ago that north store once accounted for 25 % of cmp sales. Not any more.

CMP, basically,will not ship rifles from n or s stores to your destination anymore- You take the rifle with you. So cmp does not bear the cost of shipping from n or s stores ,and, practically speaking, never did. If the rifle is ordered online, the rifle is shipped at no cost to the buyer. The cost is included in the cost of the rifle.

If cmp desired it, they could ship a large quantity of rifles to n store, in a very large box truck or tractor trailer. There would be expense but probably no more than fedexing individual rifles thru online sales.

So, selling rifles at north store would be no more expensive than selling thru online sales. It would also help defray the expense of having the n store.

Perhaps, the issue is that online sales are so large that cmp does not feel the need to involve n store further than they do .

I have heard it said that cmp would like to eliminate n store. For various reasons that i certainly do not know, they do not.

CMP N does receive an occasional , infrequent small shipment of rifles.If you have advance notice of this or are lucky enough to be on site at that day or days the stock lasts then you are fortunate.

It is possible that cmp will be taking on a larger role in competitive shooting. I do not know this, however. CMP does play the role in the cmp national matches, and supports the shooting sports in many ways ,which is certainly wonderful.

I am not criticizing cmp, they are doing what they feel is best for cmp and the shooting sports, and we are grateful for what they do.

Best of luck to all of us .

At least you have a store you can get to. I'm still waiting for CMP to open the West store hopefully here in Texas.

Bonjourjr 08-04-2019 05:43 PM

I am continually disappointed by the store. Everything is picked clean while I am shooting matches. The one day I didn’t have a match my buddy and I got there at 0600 and was first in line. An employee showed up around 0645 and asked what we were looking for as she entered the building. 1903s or anything that jumps at me. Store was practically empty. Always “waiting on a truck”. Was there from 21JUL-04AUG and really wanted to pick up a 03 or garand. Oh well. I will try again next year during nationals like I do every year

canes7 08-04-2019 06:08 PM

I guess some comments got moderated out?

Twinson 08-05-2019 12:10 PM

I personally would like to see a cost effective entry level M1 Rifle. Say $400 for your first M1 Rifle purchase (that's for a real shooter, not one that was beat like a rented mule) (kind of like once per lifetime). After that, if you wanted another M1 Rifle you would pay the regular price (how they are priced now). Maybe this could be combined with an M1 Rifle clinic and upon completion you would receive a certificate for the purchase of an M1 Rifle for the $400. For new shooters looking to start shooting Garands in the John C Garand match, many are left unable to afford the price of current M1 Rifles. Seeing the attendance drop in the John C. Garand match over the years really bothers me (I'm 45 and it appears that I was one of the younger shooters in the match. I know a lot of us have nice collections of many rifles, but we need more young shooters in this sport. My .02.

m1garand1055 08-05-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canes7 (Post 1856282)
I guess some comments got moderated out?

Yep noticed that too.Your not allowed to make waves and say how you feel about whats going on!!!!:eek:

TSimonetti 08-05-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m1garand1055 (Post 1856511)
Yep noticed that too.Your not allowed to make waves and say how you feel about whats going on!!!!:eek:

Or maybe the posters themselves had second thoughts and deleted on their own.

TSimonetti 08-05-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinson (Post 1856494)
I personally would like to see a cost effective entry level M1 Rifle. Say $400 for your first M1 Rifle purchase (that's for a real shooter, not one that was beat like a rented mule) (kind of like once per lifetime). After that, if you wanted another M1 Rifle you would pay the regular price (how they are priced now). Maybe this could be combined with an M1 Rifle clinic and upon completion you would receive a certificate for the purchase of an M1 Rifle for the $400. For new shooters looking to start shooting Garands in the John C Garand match, many are left unable to afford the price of current M1 Rifles. Seeing the attendance drop in the John C. Garand match over the years really bothers me (I'm 45 and it appears that I was one of the younger shooters in the match. I know a lot of us have nice collections of many rifles, but we need more young shooters in this sport. My .02.

They are tasked by law with selling them at current value, not $400+ below value. In any case, I suspect there will be very few "new" shooters who benefit from this special low price, but at that price a lot of wives, in-laws, and other family members of current buyers will suddenly take a huge interest in "shooting"

Twinson 08-05-2019 02:52 PM

I understand the wives thing. But since the AR15 went to scopes, It seems like we are pricing the next generation right out of this sport. O well, it is what it is I guess.

Fogtripper 08-05-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbyO (Post 1856226)
At least you have a store you can get to. I'm still waiting for CMP to open the West store hopefully here in Texas.

I have traveled to both stores from here in Utah. You have just as much access to the existing stores as anyone else near an airport.

That said, I am actually a little surprised about the north store not being healthily stocked during matches.

BobJ50 08-05-2019 03:22 PM

Re: the Next Generation. Given the choice between a $400 Garand or a $1000 iPhone, I'm betting that 99% of that "generation" will take the phone.

Shomway 08-05-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fogtripper (Post 1856545)
I have traveled to both stores from here in Utah. You have just as much access to the existing stores as anyone else near an airport.

That said, I am actually a little surprised about the north store not being healthily stocked during matches.

Boy, ain't that the truth! CMP's biggest event and people traveling from all over the country and the store isn't stocked to the brim.

TSimonetti 08-05-2019 06:26 PM

The North Store did feature a nice model CMP pen this year. The cups on the tables were full.

dogboysdad 08-05-2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobJ50 (Post 1856548)
Re: the Next Generation. Given the choice between a $400 Garand or a $1000 iPhone, I'm betting that 99% of that "generation" will take the phone.

And you canít shoot a JCG match in your parentís basement on your XBOX.

Kradschutz 08-05-2019 08:12 PM

It's a shame to hear the lack of inventory at the North Store - this is the first year in 15 years I have not attended the National Matches (due to work conflict). I know the north store staff over that decade and a half that I've religiously attended - are delighted when people arrive from all parts of the country to buy an M1 Garand or other service rifle O3 A3) and they can assist them in purchasing a rifle... The north store staff is awesome.. Doesn't sound like they got much to offer this year.. Very unfortunate as this event is a very well attended match..

M1 sniper 08-05-2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSimonetti (Post 1856629)
The North Store did feature a nice model CMP pen this year. The cups on the tables were full.

Oh why yes I was able to select a nice pen ! 😂

m1garand1055 08-06-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSimonetti (Post 1856530)
Or maybe the posters themselves had second thoughts and deleted on their own.

No I don't think that happened.Your not allowed to voice your opinion on certain subjects. I know one guy got throwed off for a couple jokes he said about the 45' s the CMP was selling.:confused:

m1garand1055 08-06-2019 10:33 AM

I think theres a lot of young guys and girls would love to own an M1 Garand but just can't afford one. I just had a young guy about 25 years old up at our club range about a week ago. As soon as he saw my two M1 Garands , I could tell he was interested. He said to his buddy about how he'd like to have one. As soon as I started shooting , he come up to my bench. He said he never held an M1 before. I picked my one rifle up and handed it to him. He had a big smile on his face holding it. I took it back and loaded 8 rds in it and told him he could shoot it. He said that made his day. His buddy took a video of him shooting for proof. I told him how to order one from the CMP. He said he was going home and check it out.I think a lot of young people enjoy shooting the M1 Garand. They just can't afford one on the wages they earn!!!:cry:

bandofM1 08-06-2019 10:35 AM

I was there at north store 7-17-19 the racks were full with Service grade ,Sa,Hra,IHCand rack grades and 1903 30 some a rack. Plus Specials and even fg specials. Got 2 very nice Garands. Store was very busy. Lots of nice rifles. Yes theNorth Store gets rifles!!

Blurry 08-06-2019 11:17 AM

M1

Iíve never been to either store. Doubt I will travel that far for a rifle. From what I have observed in the short time I have been observing, the NS always has had less inventory. Made sense in a way. As to the ďyoungersĒ. If they desire to be the next caretaker of a rifle they will do what is necessary to achieve that end. When I have a Garand out to a range I always ensure I have enough ammunition on hand so those that express an interest may have a go. I find it interesting that the majority of those that do have a go will stop at two rounds or so and look at me. They donít want to ďshoot up all of my ammunitionĒ. Itís fun to let them know that the point of it is to get ďpingídĒ. So go ahead and shoot all eight! Smiles all around. Giving...
God bless!

Eagle Scout 08-06-2019 04:36 PM

"youngers"

Excellent post, Scotty..... warmed my heart!
Steve

cccmp 08-07-2019 08:46 AM

I was there Aug 2 and they had about 23 ihc field grade rifles. No GI wood and they looked like marginal rack grades. They had the usual m1c and dís. They also had 308 ihc specials and some 3006 specials. Bottom line, they did have something for sale if you were interested. Lots of people but no one was buying. I would have thought they would have had a few more rifles available, service grades etc.

TSimonetti 08-07-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandofM1 (Post 1856819)
I was there at north store 7-17-19 the racks were full with Service grade ,Sa,Hra,IHCand rack grades and 1903 30 some a rack. Plus Specials and even fg specials. Got 2 very nice Garands. Store was very busy. Lots of nice rifles. Yes theNorth Store gets rifles!!

Nobody is claiming that the North Store didn’t get nice Rifles. The point is that your experience was not typical over the span of the matches. In fact not even close to being typical, even for those who came early before the store opened, and people are simply asserting that it didn’t have to be that way, and it shouldn’t have been that way.

One thing is certain though. If complaining about it did any good, the North Store would have received 5,000 service grades for the matches. Lol

Finch 08-07-2019 07:11 PM

I think they should limit sales of garands during the matches to those who shot the NTI and P100

trapperjohn17404 08-07-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finch (Post 1857399)
I think they should limit sales of garands during the matches to those who shot the NTI and P100

Why do you feel that way Chad?

trapperjohn17404 08-07-2019 09:11 PM

It would be interesting to hear from the COO, Mark Johnson why the lack of rifles during the Nationals. Has anyone forwarded this question to the COO?

canes7 08-08-2019 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapperjohn17404 (Post 1857454)
It would be interesting to hear from the COO, Mark Johnson why the lack of rifles during the Nationals. Has anyone forwarded this question to the COO?

My guess would be mail order sales are taking priority over store sales. There's been a report or two that I've read about people getting rifles in 7-10 days recently thru mail order, so the inventory is there but just not shipped to the NS.

I understand Chad's point about catering sales to those who actually participate in CMP competition. However, if the CMP's goal is to sell off rifles as fast as they can then crippling the mail-order sales makes no sense from a business perspective.

m1garand1055 08-08-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finch (Post 1857399)

Now wouldn't that be something I decide to make the five hr drive from Pa to the North Store during the Nationals to find out I'm not allowed to purchase rifles because I'm not a Shooter.Would that be fair?:confused: I don't shoot competition.

Roadkingtrax 08-08-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m1garand1055 (Post 1857559)
I don't shoot competition.

Sounds like an action item.

canes7 08-08-2019 09:39 AM

This has been hashed and rehashed many times over the years. Good points made on both sides. The competitors feel like they get screwed because all the collectors grab the good stuff while we are shooting. If we were to limit to competitors only during the matches then the collectors feel they get screwed.

How to fix this has been the issue no one has solved.

During the Eastern Games they do a competitor only sales event, I'm not sure of the other travel events. The first couple years there were some people who drove hours just to find out they had to wait. A quick check of the program/calendar would have saved them aggravation. Eventually things settled down and people knew what to expect.

From what I can tell the collectors and competitors are equally important to the CMP. So how do you give equal chances to two groups with completely different schedules to a brick and mortar store has a set schedule that does not include burdening the CMP staff even more?

Perhaps with a little civil discussion we can figure that out?

nf1e 08-08-2019 11:55 AM

Seems to me they are taking care of competitors as well as anyone else.
This year on Friday at around 4:30 in the afternoon a shooter managed to find an 03A4 that must have been put out later in the day cause it sure would have followed me home if it was there when the doors opened in the morning. I am not a competitor or a collector, just a guy that enjoys making an annual trip to the NS during the games and visiting with friends that still compete.
Very pleased with a Win-13 CMP special that did find it's way home with me on Saturday.

canes7 08-08-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nf1e (Post 1857624)
Seems to me they are taking care of competitors as well as anyone else.
This year on Friday at around 4:30 in the afternoon a shooter managed to find an 03A4 that must have been put out later in the day cause it sure would have followed me home if it was there when the doors opened in the morning. I am not a competitor or a collector, just a guy that enjoys making an annual trip to the NS during the games and visiting with friends that still compete.
Very pleased with a Win-13 CMP special that did find it's way home with me on Saturday.

It may be a bit inconsistent then as I was in the store after competitions 5 of 6 days I was there. The only time I was able to get my hands on something was too late in the day to make a purchase and of course it was gone the next day...

Finch 08-09-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax (Post 1857564)
Sounds like an action item.

yep.

I can't see the point in driving hours to buy something. If your going to drive hours to Camp Perry at least sign up for a games match its just 35 rounds at 200 yards.

As far as fair... sure its fair CMP's mission is to promote marksmanship not to sell stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapperjohn17404 (Post 1857450)
Why do you feel that way Chad?

To promote the Service Rifle Matches. Games Matches and Selling to Collectors get too much of CMPs focus.

TSimonetti 08-10-2019 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finch (Post 1857994)
yep.

I can't see the point in driving hours to buy something. If your going to drive hours to Camp Perry at least sign up for a games match its just 35 rounds at 200 yards.

As far as fair... sure its fair CMP's mission is to promote marksmanship not to sell stuff.

To promote the Service Rifle Matches. Games Matches and Selling to Collectors get too much of CMPs focus.

The CMP thoughtfully waives the marksmanship requirement for older Americans. It might not be a good idea to require a bunch of sedentary seniors, many of whom have already fulfilled the marksmanship requirements long ago, and/or are used to benchrest under a canopy at the local club, to shoot in the perry sun and heat and then pull targets for an hour in order to buy a rifle at the store.

All other Collectors 60 or under who buy at the store have already fulfilled the marksmanship requirements before arriving.