CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   CMP Bolt Action Rifles (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Pedesen Device on GB (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=274577)

dadx3 01-08-2021 02:04 PM

Pedesen Device on GB

Anyone else notice the Pedersen Device equipped 1903 Mark 1 list on GB? I never thought I would have seen one listed there.

Item # 884689614

Jim C 351 01-08-2021 02:30 PM

Does anyone find it strange that there are no numbers or letters stamped on the devise.
If it was original the first pic would show such info.
No doubt a repro and less than honest seller.
Jim C

Mark1 01-08-2021 03:08 PM

I have not seen one like this held together with screws. The originals had pins.
But with the sellers name "parts guy" it look like he is living up to his name.

FrankD 01-08-2021 04:09 PM

Most of it is bogus. On the real device the cartridge shaped portion is adjustable to properly fit it to the chamber. All the pieces with screws are made up and not original and the ejector is missing on the left side and the magazine is also bogus. I had a real one from Brophy's collection at one time.

Quarterbore 01-08-2021 05:31 PM

It is a shame more of these didn’t survive as I would love to even see one in operation.

One item I wish I had the tools still to try to make a reproduction of as well. A lathe, a mill and a furnace and it seems like something a person with skill and time could reproduce.

buykcmo 01-08-2021 08:07 PM

I would need to compare one side by side.
This one looks like it has some age on it.

pickax 01-08-2021 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankD (Post 2002164)
Most of it is bogus. On the real device the cartridge shaped portion is adjustable to properly fit it to the chamber. All the pieces with screws are made up and not original and the ejector is missing on the left side and the magazine is also bogus. I had a real one from Brophy's collection at one time.

Thanks FrankD
I remember that and am grateful for your earlier post.
This one is garbage. Previous posters study up!

superdave269 01-08-2021 09:11 PM

Thanks FrankD Hope your well.

Rock 01-08-2021 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quarterbore (Post 2002213)
It is a shame more of these didnít survive as I would love to even see one in operation.

Demonstration in this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M637KpEP1_E

rubicon762 01-09-2021 07:24 AM

Thank you Rock, that was a great video.

7,62x51mm 01-09-2021 07:53 AM

Pedersen Device on other rifles

There are photos around of the Pedersen Device for the US Enfield Model 1917 rifle, but the really rare Pedersen Device is for the Remington Mosin Nagant 1891 rifle. The magazine is inserted on the left side

captaincalc 01-09-2021 10:12 AM

BTW, how many real pederson devices are out there in the public domain? As I recall they're "rare" not non-existant.

Calif-Steve 01-09-2021 11:53 AM

My buddy bought one at a Gun show years back. He got buyers remorse and backed out of the deal. I recall it was a $20,000.00 deal. I was with him and told him to stay the course, he didn't.

RedSpecial 01-09-2021 01:12 PM

I’ve only seen two or three Pedersen devices and it was a few years ago, from what I remember this one looks fubar.

7,62x51mm 01-09-2021 05:59 PM

Remington Mosin Nagant with Pedersen Device

I found a photo that I had showing William B. Edwards firing a Remington Mosin Nagant rifle with the Pedersen Device installed. Edwards was doing an article on the Pedersen Device which was published in the late 1960's

Fenris_Bane 01-10-2021 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quarterbore (Post 2002213)
It is a shame more of these didnít survive as I would love to even see one in operation.

One item I wish I had the tools still to try to make a reproduction of as well. A lathe, a mill and a furnace and it seems like something a person with skill and time could reproduce.

Mark Novak on YouTube repaired/restored one in a video of his. One of the main springs had been screwed up and he had to make a new one. Basically, the design and construction was very tight with little room for error in tolerances.

Anyone making a repro would run into the same problems. It would be almost as costly as a real one, or it would have to be redesigned to overcome the problems with the original design. That is not a cheap option either.

Quarterbore 01-10-2021 12:52 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Itís likely a case where it would be easier to design something modern that used Peterson magazines. Imagine a modern Glock type striker action. You could make it outwardly look like a Peterson and it would operate basically the same but the heck with trying to redo 1910s and 20ís processes.

Of course then it would be a repro, but close enough for reinactors of for general enthusiasts. The fire control setup for a semiautomatic Sten is pretty simple too. This is the kind of stuff that would get me in hot water with my wife though if I were to jump into it but there is no reason this has to be that difficult.

HateCA 01-10-2021 01:40 AM

All of them were marked with manufacture and serial number. Original were not held together with screws. So many read flags with this itís not even funny.

buykcmo 01-10-2021 05:46 PM

I think the interesting thing is FrankD had one from Brophy's collection. I somehow missed that the first time
I

FrankD 01-11-2021 03:31 PM

If I look around, I probably still have a box of ammunition for it along with a picture of me firing it.

buykcmo 01-12-2021 08:27 PM

I live in Kansas City. We are blessed with the Liberty Memorial. It is the largest WW1 Museum in the country.
When I go back I will be sure to recommend to the curator CMP Forum as a resource. There is some knowledge you can find here available nowhere else.

RichieRich3902 01-13-2021 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buykcmo (Post 2003626)
I live in Kansas City. We are blessed with the Liberty Memorial. It is the largest WW1 Museum in the country.
When I go back I will be sure to recommend to the curator CMP Forum as a resource. There is some knowledge you can find here available nowhere else.

When I had an internship at the Liberty Memorial they were lets say, less than open to outside references and resources. The people I worked with were not really gun people. Maybe you'll have better luck now, I was there about 15 yeas ago.

Calif-Steve 01-15-2021 12:04 AM

The US Army gave the French all of the excess .30 cal Pedersen ammo we had. 50 million rounds(?). The French used it in their little 7.65mm pistols.