CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Competitors Corner (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Do you rest your eyes during a SF string? (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=168209)

hi-revr 06-11-2015 10:21 PM

Do you rest your eyes during a SF string?

If not you should consciously think about doing it.

While shooting in a high power match this past weekend the subject came up more than once. During our team match I had two very talented juniors on my team. I noticed one was beginning to labor and not be sure of calls. I asked how his eyes were and he said he was having difficulty. I had him close his eyes for several seconds a few times during the rest of the string. He recovered nicely. After he was done I was discussing the importance of eye rest with both of the juniors. Next to us was a friend of mine who is one of the top shooters in the area. He chimed in and said it was good advice and needed to remember to do this himself. I've noticed most shooters don't take an eye rest break and that's what prompted this thread.

I have made a habit of coming out of position every 6-8 shots for two reasons. First, an old shoulder injury results in my body locking up after so many minutes in prone. This goes against nearly all teachings, normally once you build your position most tell you to stay put. Second, my eyes get ""Buggie"" so I will lay my head on the mat as best I can and keep my eyes closed for 10-20 seconds.

Don't let shots stray late in your string because your eyes need a break. A good signal for me is two shots in a row I can't call and feel the target is a fuzz ball.

Roadkingtrax 06-12-2015 12:40 AM

Good advice, I shall make a note to try this my next XTC. I've got a .5 correction on my shooting eye, so the target is usually fuzzy to start and results in bull gazing.

hi-revr 06-12-2015 08:53 PM

Have you tried a .25 or .375 correction? I ask because going to a .50 is the common first stop. Many don't realize smaller fractions are available & they may not need the full half. Optometrists rarely understand a shooters ability to notice a minor change in prescription. You may not be able to notice in the doctor's office but looking at the target through an aperture you might. If you can get by with less magnification the target will sharpen up.

Roadkingtrax 06-15-2015 05:12 PM

This post is so hidden, sorry for the late reply.

Following the advice of Bob Jones, and Art (Shootingsight)...I have been using a +.50. I will be trying a +.25 for the next few matches. Glasses, not hood insert.

I'm 37, nearsighted since 10, and have a moderate (near/far) scrip currently. My eye doctor is on board with what I'm trying to do. I think my moderate scrip, with the +.50 is too aggressive for the M1/M1A. Assuming my street glasses had the BEST and Clearest distance vision only, then .5 would be where to start. I do computer and distance work, so its already a compromise.

At present, after a match, C&R or XTC, my corrected eye starts throbbing a bit. That tells me, that a .25 or .37 would be a better choice. I must not be relaxed and I'm fighting to see target boards/target placement.

K31Schmidt 07-03-2015 05:04 PM

Try looking at the grass, anything green will calm your vision. I do this between each shot and am able to focus longer. I fight 5 different floaters in my right eye and even more in the left.

Roadkingtrax 07-03-2015 06:08 PM

I'll bring some grass with me next time. :)

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...psezvubqgs.jpg

K31Schmidt 07-04-2015 10:48 AM

Ha ha! Maybe mail you a square or two.

canes7 07-04-2015 11:45 AM

Plenty of grass being backpacked around out there. You should have trouble finding any.

lyman 06-01-2017 09:50 AM

when I was an active high power shooter, I took advantage of any time I could to shut my eyes for even a few seconds, esp as the match progressed,

esp during the slow fire phases,,

seemed to help with fatigue

NMC_EXP 06-06-2017 10:33 AM

In addition to closing the eye, I will focus on the grass out maybe 30 feet away, and check out the flags, etc. That also gives the muscles trying to change the shape of my 65 year old and petrified lens a break from trying to focus on something 24 inches away.

Another important factor for me is not letting the eye dry out. I use eye drops a lot while shooting. Especially true if you have a wind from 12:00 oclock.