CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   CMP Bolt Action Rifles (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Remington, what did they make? (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=178712)

Nates4Christ 11-22-2015 11:34 PM

Remington, what did they make?
 
I've done a few google searches and I've gotten a few mixed answers from folks. When did Remington make the 03 or 03A3? Did they even make the 03? My understanding is that Remington only made WWII 03A3s and 03A4s. I've had a few folks show me what they say are Remington made 03s though. So I don't know.

John Beard 11-23-2015 12:05 AM

Remington started out making M1903 rifles. The first rifles were submitted for inspection in November, 1941. Following U.S. entry into WWII, rifles were in critically short supply. To accelerate production, lower cost, and alleviate the shortage, Remington transitioned production from M1903 rifles over to M'03-A3 rifles beginning in December, 1942. M'03-A3 production continued through February, 1944.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Rick the Librarian 11-23-2015 12:42 AM

Approximately 348,000 Remington M1903s were manufactured, along with about 707,000 M1903A3s and about 28,000+ M1903A4 sniper rifles.

Nates4Christ 11-23-2015 12:51 AM

I didn't know anyone made 03's in WWII era. I figured they where all upgraded by then.

So at least I was right in my thinking that Remington did not make any in WWI. I thought it would have been odd for them to make the 1917 and 03 in WWI.

Rick the Librarian 11-23-2015 09:48 AM

There was a shortage of Garands until well into WWII. The WWII-made Remington M1903s (originally ordered by the British) were supposed to help fill the gap.

Correct - only Springfield Armory and Rock Island Arsenal made M1903s before that time. Remington leased mothballed RIA machinery and gauges to produce M1903s (and later, 1903A3s) in WWII.

jgaynor 11-23-2015 09:34 PM

In WW1 Ordnance realized the output of the government arsenals would be inadequate to meet the demand for rifles. One alternative they considered was equipping a private manufacturer to make the M1903. However they realized that the time it would take to build all of the specialized tooling, gages and fixtures would add many months possibly years of delay.
By a happy accident the Winchester, Remington and Eddystone plants which had been created for the British Pattern 14 Contracts were available. All that was necessary was a relatively minor conversion of the P14 rifle to allow it to use the Rimless .30 Caliber US cartridge and the M1917 was born.

John Beard 11-23-2015 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgaynor (Post 1382809)
In WW1 Ordnance realized the output of the government arsenals would be inadequate to meet the demand for rifles. One alternative they considered was equipping a private manufacturer to make the M1903. However they realized that the time it would take to build all of the specialized tooling, gages and fixtures would add many months possibly years of delay.
By a happy accident the Winchester, Remington and Eddystone plants which had been created for the British Pattern 14 Contracts were available. All that was necessary was a relatively minor conversion of the P14 rifle to allow it to use the Rimless .30 Caliber US cartridge and the M1917 was born.

As I recall, Remington and Winchester informed Army Ordnance that no less than two years would be required to tool up and manufacture the M1903 rifle.

And forgive me for laughing when I read your statement that "All that was necessary...." But once Army Ordnance got involved, it wasn't that simple anymore. The P'14's did not have interchangeable parts. Army Ordnance, therefore, expended several precious months making detailed engineering drawings for the M1917 rifle and getting them accepted; meanwhile, soldiers drilled with brooms.

J.B.

Stewbaby 11-23-2015 10:32 PM

I bet someone has one of those brooms in their collection! :-)

Calfed 11-23-2015 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nates4Christ (Post 1382426)
I've done a few google searches and I've gotten a few mixed answers from folks. When did Remington make the 03 or 03A3? Did they even make the 03? My understanding is that Remington only made WWII 03A3s and 03A4s. I've had a few folks show me what they say are Remington made 03s though. So I don't know.

Actually, Remington made three variants...

The 1903

http://i.imgur.com/Kp5kipF.jpg

the 1903-A3

http://i.imgur.com/8oAi94U.jpg?1

and the 1903-A4

http://i.imgur.com/b21zE4E.jpg

John Beard 11-24-2015 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewbaby (Post 1382843)
I bet someone has one of those brooms in their collection! :-)

Sorry, the flying monkeys collected them all and took them to Oz. :)

J.B.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.