CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   CMP 1911 (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   .45 carry condition in a combat zone (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=243240)

lucky52 03-19-2019 07:45 PM

.45 carry condition in a combat zone

I only carried a .38 overseas but what was the Army( or Marine) way to carry a .45 in WW2,Korea, or Viet Nam?I never payed attention to the grunts .45s when we hauled them around in Viet Nam.Thanks.

weimar_police 03-19-2019 08:02 PM

Stateside peacetime - condition three - empty chamber

The reality - most of the time I carried condition two - round in the chamber - hammer down - I do not have an issue carrying condition one - chambered and cocked, but that was very obvious and I did not want to make it obvious.

All with safety on....

In war - I'd carry condition one

DedHed 03-19-2019 08:08 PM

If i remember correctly the 1911 was the only weapon that Condition 2 applied to. At least in my Beretta M9 carrying generation.

rcolarco 03-19-2019 08:10 PM

I was taught condition three. I carried condition three. I thought if I ever needed my pistol, I would likely have bigger problems than the half second it took to chamber a round. I also was in the Air Force, and no one around me knew how to work a 1911. I liked the idea that I was the only one around who knew how my pistol worked.

It drove one of my bosses nuts that I carried a 1911, but in the circumstances he couldn't do anything about it.

lucky52 03-21-2019 08:25 AM

Thanks everyone.

flatheadsal 03-21-2019 06:33 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but all these years condition 2, round chambered, hammer down was frowned upon as being unsafe, as a hard hit to the hammer could cause the round to fire, Colts 80 series 1911's solved this issue, on any other 1911 it's either empty chamber or cocked and locked, anyone???

rcolarco 03-21-2019 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatheadsal (Post 1816637)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but all these years condition 2, round chambered, hammer down was frowned upon as being unsafe, as a hard hit to the hammer could cause the round to fire, Colts 80 series 1911's solved this issue, on any other 1911 it's either empty chamber or cocked and locked, anyone???

The 1911 design includes an inertial firing pin and all are hypothetically "safe" to carry hammer down on a loaded chamber. However, there is no guarantee on any 1911 without a positive firing pin block that the pin cannot hit the primer. In my opinion, it is not safe to carry a 1911 with a round chambered, although many people do. US military training is to carry the chamber empty. That has kept me un-perforated in 45 years of 1911 carry.

rickgman 03-21-2019 07:43 PM

In the Coast Guard for both law enforcement and military operations, the standard procedure was to carry in condition 3. The idea was that only when there was imminent danger one should draw his or her pistol and at that point you were to rack the slide and engage the safety. In the civilian world, I always carry condition 1. To do otherwise is very foolish in my opinion since it puts you at a disadvantage. Any disadvantage in a life and death contest is ill advised. Also, no one should ever load a cartridge in the chamber and then lower the hammer. It is an unsafe practice and besides it ruins a good trigger job.

jwenum 03-21-2019 08:27 PM

^^^1. My sentiments exactly.

flatheadsal 03-21-2019 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickgman (Post 1816658)
In the Coast Guard for both law enforcement and military operations, the standard procedure was to carry in condition 3. The idea was that only when there was imminent danger one should draw his or her pistol and at that point you were to rack the slide and engage the safety. In the civilian world, I always carry condition 1. To do otherwise is very foolish in my opinion since it puts you at a disadvantage. Any disadvantage in a life and death contest is ill advised. Also, no one should ever load a cartridge in the chamber and then lower the hammer. It is an unsafe practice and besides it ruins a good trigger job.

I agree!