CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   M1A/M14 (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Demilled recievers (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=274291)

lennnorment 01-03-2021 01:50 AM

Demilled recievers

I saw some back halves of M14s at a local show recently. They were from real M14 rifles and not from some commercial rifles. They had been shear cut just forward of the rear sight base. Other than a paper weight, what would these possibly be good for?

1563621 01-03-2021 04:47 AM

I know many years ago there were rewelds of these. I think they had a license to do it. Now , no, really just a item to place on shelf for memories, Good & Bad!

nf1e 01-03-2021 06:01 AM

Paper weights is about the best idea for them.

TLB 01-03-2021 06:24 AM

At one show a few years ago, someone had cut off heals behind the sight ears and mounted one of each manufacturer at the quarter hour, making a custom clock.

Random Guy 01-03-2021 08:30 AM

I have 4 heels, one from each manufacturer. I wish James River Armory was still offering to make civilian receivers out of them (ATF-complaint) - but they quit doing that a couple of years ago, so my de-milled heels are just sitting on a shelf gathering dust....

Ted Brown 01-03-2021 03:53 PM

I have several receiver demills. I use them as a reference when checking tolerances on commercial receivers.

rickgman 01-03-2021 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Brown (Post 2000681)
I have several receiver demills. I use them as a reference when checking tolerances on commercial receivers.

Ted, I would be concerned that the huge mechanical stresses imparted on the receiver when it was sheared in two would deform the remaining piece to the point where it would not be useful as a reliable reference for dimensions. A part print would be far more reliable and would also give the tolerance range - not just the dimension of the speciic part in your possession.

Hawk 01-03-2021 06:21 PM

I have a bunch of them. In most cases, the bridge is damaged beyond repair. If I remember correctly, JRA only used demills that had an intact bridge. Might be the reason they stopped doing the welding due to there just not being enough of those with intact bridges.

fartblossom1953 01-03-2021 06:58 PM

De-mill has changed with the passing of time. I have seen saw cut, torch cut, and sheared receivers as well as captain crunch bits. The best were the saw cut. ;)

ZvenoMan 01-04-2021 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickgman (Post 2000707)
Ted, I would be concerned that the huge mechanical stresses imparted on the receiver when it was sheared in two would deform the remaining piece to the point where it would not be useful as a reliable reference for dimensions. A part print would be far more reliable and would also give the tolerance range - not just the dimension of the speciic part in your possession.

Can't argue the value of a print but sometimes a 3D reference is best.
If you verify whatever dimensions you are using on the demilled part it doesn't matter what stresses it suffered.
Kind of like a go-no go gauge. It doesn't matter what it is or how it was made, if the key dimension is accurate (and it's a suitable material) then it works for that purpose.
In the warbird restoration field recovered wrecks are disassembled and many parts, clearly not airworthy are used in the same manner.

Again like the warbird field, demilled receivers have a value to some people simply because of what they were and where they may have been.

JH