CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   M1 Carbine (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Post WW II "newly built" M1 Carbines (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=275157)

navyrifleman 01-18-2021 07:47 AM

Post WW II "newly built" M1 Carbines

I know that there are many threads here which mention a "new" M1 Carbine and by that the poster means that it is "new" to his collection.

But my question has to do with many different advertisements that I have seen in 1960's era gun magazines which offered "Newly Made M1 Carbines" for sale.

These advertisements were usually by companies or businesses that were selling by mail and not the actual manufacturers. In fact, the manufacturer of these "Newly Made" carbines is usually not mentioned.

I know of two companies which made copies of the M1 Carbine: Plainfield and Universal. But were there others? Does anyone know when and where such copies were made, how they are marked, and whether or not they included original GI parts? Any comments regarding reliability or accuracy?

Thanks in advance for your replies and comments.

.Steve. 01-18-2021 08:52 AM

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/

Read.

T38Carbine 01-18-2021 09:55 AM

The link above is very informative about commercial carbines. But in my opinion, only USGI made examples are worth having. Even though the price continues to rise they are still affordable and function beautifully!!

03man 01-18-2021 05:52 PM

"Worth having" is a little harsh.
Plainfield carbines are gi clones and have a good rep, Universal less so; but non GI carbines have a place for many guys who want a shooter or can't "afford" a GI carbine.
JMHO.

35 Whelen 01-18-2021 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T38Carbine (Post 2005510)
The link above is very informative about commercial carbines. But in my opinion, only USGI made examples are worth having. Even though the price continues to rise they are still affordable and function beautifully!!

Agreed..."worth having" maybe a little much, as we all buy Carbine's for different reasons.

I have a couple of RTI's that I love simply because they have that "Been there, done that" aura about them. They're fun to shoot, but not something I'm going to shoot thousands of rounds through or win any matches with.

I think we need to remember that many of the early commercial carbines were assembled from surplus military parts. So to a non-collector, how does that make them any less "worth having" than an original USGI if they're made from the same parts?

I also think that some commercial manufacturers make Carbine's that are of higher quality than those made under wartime conditions. I recently bought a mid-'60's produced Universal that seems to be very well made and as much as I hate to say it, shoots circles around all of my other Carbine's.

So, follow daught Steve daught's link and read up!

vagrant 01-19-2021 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35 Whelen (Post 2005820)
how does that make them any less "worth having" than an original USGI if they're made from the same parts?

Because the receivers on 90+% aren't of equal quality. And most don't have a GI barrel and don't have the same quality. Some have 2 piece barrels from GI salvaged units. There are issues with commercial gas cylinders falling off too.

RDTX 01-20-2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vagrant (Post 2005859)
Because the receivers on 90+% aren't of equal quality. And most don't have a GI barrel and don't have the same quality. Some have 2 piece barrels from GI salvaged units. There are issues with commercial gas cylinders falling off too.

I know this thread was originally about 1960's commercial offerings, but I have read that Fulton Armory currently produces excellent quality Carbines.

moose 01-21-2021 01:17 PM

You couldn't get me to touch the 60s commercial carbines with a 10 foot pole, too many problems.
Not only are none worth having, all of them are garbage. Yeah you may get one that actually works, go buy a lottery ticket.

The recently remade receivers are much better.

Bayou 01-21-2021 01:35 PM

I have an Iver Johnson carbine of 1980 vintage. I changed out the aluminum cast trigger assembly with a steel GI assembly. The parts outside the trigger assembly are interchangeable with GI.

It’s a reliable shooter and plinker. The rifle was a gift from a deceased friend.

Bayou

Q Tip 01-21-2021 09:05 PM

I had an IJ as well....a reliable and accurate carbine. I believe IJ took over Plainfield.