CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   CMP 1911 (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   First Day of ownership, almost a great day... (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=239836)

Jav8or 01-16-2019 02:54 PM

First Day of ownership, almost a great day...

Good day all,

New 1911 owner here.

Took the A1 out to the range. Over the course of 50 rounds, all went down the tube just fine, but about 30 rounds in, the slide would put lock back. Iím almost 100 percent sure itís a magazine issue, as I was able to replicate the problemwithnan empty mag repeatedly.

Then, when I got home, I discovered the hammer would drop while pulling the trigger, but not engaging the grip strap safety.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

Todd 01-16-2019 03:00 PM

First problem I have heard with a cmp 1911

Jav8or 01-16-2019 03:11 PM

Precisely why I’m asking the group, just into ensure I didn’t do something boneheaded

Jav8or 01-16-2019 03:18 PM

Just put everything back together for the fifth time and now the safety seems to be working....

Could over lube cause that?

utdutt 01-16-2019 03:25 PM

Don't think over lubing would cause that, unless it was causing the grip safety to stick against the frame not allowing it to fully seat against the rear of the trigger. Before seeing that it now works, I was going to suggest the grip safety may be worn and not contacting the trigger properly, that or it's dirty or fouled, maybe sticking against the frame so not seating properly to stop the rearward action of the trigger. The grip safety should move freely and snap back into place after being depressed.

Jav8or 01-16-2019 03:51 PM

The grip safety has always snapped back.

I don’t know, maybe I didn’t reassemble correctly, but it’s working now. Same for the slide lock...

utdutt 01-16-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jav8or (Post 1793547)
The grip safety has always snapped back.

I donít know, maybe I didnít reassemble correctly, but itís working now. Same for the slide lock...

Glad it's working! Didn't think CMP would let a faulty pistol get through. Did you detail strip the frame? If so, that may have been the problem, if you don't get all those internals just right you can have problems. I usually need an exploded schematics or youtube video when I put one back together.

Jav8or 01-16-2019 04:00 PM

It was just a field strip. I have been on the couch for about an hour try to spurt this thing to fail again....turning it upside down...light smacks on the butt.....it won’t fail again....?

As a former maintainer, this is the kind of stuff that makes me scratch my head.

Texxut 01-16-2019 04:03 PM

If this is the first 1911 you have owned, I suggest you read thru the manual they sent with the pistol, cover to cover a couple of times. Then, go thru the procedure to check the function and operation as outlined in the manual. It could be you just had it together wrong and now you have it correct.

Jav8or 01-16-2019 04:04 PM

Fair enough