CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   CMP Bolt Action Rifles (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Stumbled on a rack of 03's (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=27383)

.22shooter 10-18-2010 04:11 PM

Stumbled on a rack of 03's

I was putting away rubber ducks with my ROTC unit and my eyes fell on a BIG rack of '03s :) Some of course have horrible stocks and think most if not all are missing sights. I was thinking though, would these rifles work if a new barrel was spun on and the head spacing checked?

It never ceases to amaze me how something at one time was considered invaluable is now worth so much even in poor condition. Inevitably, every time I'm in a gun shop some old timer tells me about how you could get this or that rifle for a ridiculously low price at one time.

gunny 10-18-2010 04:26 PM

Get the unit to turn them in to the Army and the Army will offer them to the CMP!

Gunny

HughUno 10-18-2010 05:22 PM

most, if not all ROTC bolt guns are probably DRILL rifles. take a closer look.. value is likewise, not "so much" as you would expect. restoration is always possible,but rarely worth the time, money, or effort with drill rifles (although Val Forgett III would likely debate the point).

irishsteve 10-18-2010 06:20 PM

What the old timers always forget to tell you about the 16.00 dollar 1903"s is that in 1965 most guys were lucky to make 2 bucks an hour,and were feeding 3 kids on it.You were lucky to have 16 dollars of mad money back then.If you were a G.I. in the 60"s, pay started at 78.00 a month!BEFORE taxes!

.22shooter 10-18-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HughUno (Post 207662)
most, if not all ROTC bolt guns are probably DRILL rifles. take a closer look.. value is likewise, not "so much" as you would expect. restoration is always possible,but rarely worth the time, money, or effort with drill rifles (although Val Forgett III would likely debate the point).

tell me about drill rifles.

bamos 10-18-2010 06:44 PM

I believe...

Drill rifles = welded mag switch, welded bolt firing pin hole, barrel welded to receiver, and barrel stopped up with a rod and welded.

Had them in High School and it's been a while.

robertmcm 10-18-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishsteve (Post 207694)
What the old timers always forget to tell you about the 16.00 dollar 1903"s is that in 1965 most guys were lucky to make 2 bucks an hour,and were feeding 3 kids on it.You were lucky to have 16 dollars of mad money back then.If you were a G.I. in the 60"s, pay started at 78.00 a month!BEFORE taxes!

Lets see, two bucks an hour in 1964 was two ounces of silver, today that ounce of silver settled at (dropped actually) 24.34, so 48 bucks an hour in todays inflated (robbed) currency. About 390 for the 03 in todays money. Probably wasnt really a collector's item at the time-but maybe to a lesser degree. The moral of the story is that YOU HAVE BEEN ROBBED!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, I bet there were even more stay at home moms back then right? How?

Abolish the Federal Reserve, it is not Federal and there is no Reserve.

YOU HAVE BEEN ROBBED

Craftsman 10-18-2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsrman36 (Post 207695)
tell me about drill rifles.

They spend as much time getting dropped, as being held!

gunny 10-18-2010 07:52 PM

Probably right. Drill rifles. Barrel and receiver probably OBE and everything else is broken or missing.....

Gunny

.22shooter 10-18-2010 07:56 PM

I looked at the bolt, the face is not welded shut, the barrel isn't welded to the receiver but it is welded shut.

For the most part, the bolt and action and a few stocks look like they could be made into something one day (parts most likely)