CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Ammunition (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Anyone collect paper shot shells? I have questions. (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=244900)

Freedom 04-20-2019 09:10 AM

Anyone collect paper shot shells? I have questions.

Over many years of accumulating paper shotgun shells, I have quite a number of most gauges and brands. Most of the shells I bought new, back in there day, and some passed on to me by family and friends. Is there a value to these old shells, or are they just old stuff ?

packrat2 04-20-2019 10:24 AM

old shot shells

I collect old shot shell boxes, full ones and single shells also. Mostly I find them at gun shows, yes there is a value there, try and find and buy a full old box of Winchester, Peters or Remington there not cheap...

BobJ50 04-20-2019 01:47 PM

Don't let your mom or your wife throw anything away!

silverplate 04-21-2019 02:13 PM

The "U.S. Property" marked boxes from WWII are very desirable as well, both 25 round and 10 round.

navyrifleman 04-24-2019 06:59 AM

Looking at, and handling old shotshells is fun, and interesting.

Outside dimensions are the same as modern shells, but inside they are completely different animals.

Remington shells used to have their own size primer which was smaller than Winchester or Federal. The inside taper and base heights were different than today. The base was brass back in the day, but plated steel today, and of course all today are plastic bodies, some unibody and others with separate base sections.

Wads were of fiber and cardboard and few had shot collars. Those wads were set at a certain pressure when loaded. Today the whole wad and collar section is usually plastic and of one piece construction.

I recently got some paper federal 12 gauge shells in a lot of mixed shells for reloading. Looking at them brought back memories of when I first started hunting - back when paper shells were the norm and only Remington had started to make their green plastic hulls (and Winchester made their target AA's).

With paper hulls, you had to be careful to not let them get wet, or they would swell and not chamber in the gun.

JimF 04-24-2019 07:52 AM

Ahhh yes . . . . .the old paper shells!
Back there, in the 50’s, when the local gun club would have their annual “field day”, as soon as the rounds of trap or skeet would end, I and other boys would race up to the various stations, scoop up the still smoking, paper shells, and SNIFF the fresh aroma of that old powder!
Best smell ever! . . . .
Anyone else remember?

packrat2 04-24-2019 10:00 AM

Anyone else remember?

Yes I remember the smell of paper shells..Federal makes a batch of paper trap shells once a year or so, I have a bunch {hulls}a trap shooter gave me.

edlmann 04-24-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navyrifleman (Post 1827871)
With paper hulls, you had to be careful to not let them get wet, or they would swell and not chamber in the gun.

My Dad bought a mixed case of #6 and #7-1/2 12 gauge paper shells at Montgomery Wards (Hawthorne brand but probably Federal) in the early '60s, but after a year in the utility room, they wouldn't chamber in his auto or pump. He ended up buying a cheap Stevens 311 to shoot them up.

X Hunter 04-24-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edlmann (Post 1827920)
My Dad bought a mixed case of #6 and #7-1/2 12 gauge paper shells at Montgomery Wards (Hawthorne brand but probably Federal) in the early '60s, but after a year in the utility room, they wouldn't chamber in his auto or pump. He ended up buying a cheap Stevens 311 to shoot them up.

Back in the day, shot shells were hung in a canvas bag over the heater in the duck blind to keep them fro swelling up.

sigman2 04-25-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimF (Post 1827884)
Ahhh yes . . . . .the old paper shells!
Back there, in the 50’s, when the local gun club would have their annual “field day”, as soon as the rounds of trap or skeet would end, I and other boys would race up to the various stations, scoop up the still smoking, paper shells, and SNIFF the fresh aroma of that old powder!
Best smell ever! . . . .
Anyone else remember?

Oh yes, I was a fired shell sniffer! What a wonderful smell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navyrifleman (Post 1827871)
Looking at, and handling old shotshells is fun, and interesting.

Outside dimensions are the same as modern shells, but inside they are completely different animals.

Remington shells used to have their own size primer which was smaller than Winchester or Federal. The inside taper and base heights were different than today. The base was brass back in the day, but plated steel today, and of course all today are plastic bodies, some unibody and others with separate base sections.

Wads were of fiber and cardboard and few had shot collars. Those wads were set at a certain pressure when loaded. Today the whole wad and collar section is usually plastic and of one piece construction.

I recently got some paper federal 12 gauge shells in a lot of mixed shells for reloading. Looking at them brought back memories of when I first started hunting - back when paper shells were the norm and only Remington had started to make their green plastic hulls (and Winchester made their target AA's).

I still have a number of boxes of old Super X Mark 5 shells in #6 and 7 1/2. I used to buy cases of them before the waterfowl steel shot laws. The #6 were great for ducks over decoys and 7 1/2 for teal.

I also have two boxes of Remington Express 20 Ga. shells in 7 1/2 and one box of #9 in the "new" plastic cases. They are green, having been made before the color coding of 20 Ga. shells. These were from my quail hunting days

I collect anything old and have about a hundred loose paper shells and a few full boxes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by X Hunter (Post 1827929)
Back in the day, shot shells were hung in a canvas bag over the heater in the duck blind to keep them fro swelling up.

I never had the luxury of a heater in a duck blind. :)