CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   M1 Garand (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Soft point ammo for the Garand? (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=121112)

Slingha 10-28-2013 10:47 AM

Soft point ammo for the Garand?
 
Does anyone know where I can order a box or 10 of M1 Garand ammo with soft points? Not having any luck. I wanted to take it out a few times deer hunting

Slingha 10-28-2013 10:50 AM

I should add that I would prefer to not change gas plug and wanted something loaded specifically loaded for the Garand.

Striker 10-28-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slingha (Post 944331)
I should add that I would prefer to not change gas plug and wanted something loaded specifically loaded for the Garand.

GO to this website: http://www.garandgear.com/m1garand/d...-plug?sef=hcfp

Buy the gas plug for around $43.00 shipped and be done with it. They will include pressure charts online to look at. Then you can go with almost any commercial 30-06. Besides, you'll like;y pay for it two-fold after buying only 40 rounds of garand specific ammo.

Warlock 10-28-2013 12:02 PM

Try this.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ighlight=Ericc

Hope this helps. I load my own but I will still purchase Ericcs gas plugs for my son and my rifle soon.

Read the part about shooting comercial ammo carefully. Look at all the graphs. Great work done on our behalf. Thank you Ericc and all.

Garandimal 10-28-2013 01:01 PM

Go to the Well...

Shooting Commercial Ammunition in your M1 Garand

I use and recommend the Ported Gas Plug, but for a lot of rounds, like Remington Express Core-Lokt's, you don't need it.

I like this stuff for hunting and mid-range shooting.


165 grain soft point Prvi Partizan ammo PP342


Good price, very good ammo.



GR

lapriester 10-28-2013 02:16 PM

No one makes Garand specific soft point ammo for a Garand. Hornady makes a match load with a match bullet and, I believe Remington is also makeing a load with a match or FMJ bullet. I would not recommend Core-Lokt's for use in a Garand regardless of anyone else's data. I've seen and heard them shot out of a Garand and the recoil and muzzle blast were much too impressive for my rifles. Remington green box ammo uses IMR 4350 or like burn rate powder which is a completely inappropriate powder for use in a Garand especially at the powder charge they load most hunting ammo at. If you must shoot commercial, use an alternate gas plug. BTW, Privi is also a very hot ammo and another commercial loading my Garand will never use.

Plenty of people will disagree so you are the one that must weigh your risks and no one else. Buy a cheap reloading setup and load your own using available HXP brass. It will pay for itself in a year if you shoot a lot.

Larry

Roadkingtrax 10-28-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garandimal (Post 944392)
Go to the Well...

Shooting Commercial Ammunition in your M1 Garand

I use and recommend the Ported Gas Plug, but for a lot of rounds, like Remington Express Core-Lokt's, you don't need it.

I like this stuff for hunting and mid-range shooting.


165 grain soft point Prvi Partizan ammo PP342


Good price, very good ammo.



GR

+1

Not everyone cares to reload.

Craftsman 10-28-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax (Post 944433)
+1

Not everyone cares to reload.

I prefer to "unload":D
I barely have time for the shooting part! Can't imagine having another time consuming hobby, just so I can participate in my first chosen hobby?:confused:

gardian47 10-28-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lapriester (Post 944417)
No one makes Garand specific soft point ammo for a Garand. Hornady makes a match load with a match bullet and, I believe Remington is also makeing a load with a match or FMJ bullet. I would not recommend Core-Lokt's for use in a Garand regardless of anyone else's data. I've seen and heard them shot out of a Garand and the recoil and muzzle blast were much too impressive for my rifles. Remington green box ammo uses IMR 4350 or like burn rate powder which is a completely inappropriate powder for use in a Garand especially at the powder charge they load most hunting ammo at. If you must shoot commercial, use an alternate gas plug. BTW, Privi is also a very hot ammo and another commercial loading my Garand will never use.

Plenty of people will disagree so you are the one that must weigh your risks and no one else. Buy a cheap reloading setup and load your own using available HXP brass. It will pay for itself in a year if you shoot a lot.

Larry

I picked up some Remington 150gr core-lokt this weekend to shoot through my stock gas plug, well needless to say Only put a clip through it before deciding it was probably not a good idea. Most of the cases were ejecting at 12 o-clock and the recoil felt off. Going to get the ported gas plug as soon as I get some extra cash.

Powerkicker 10-28-2013 04:37 PM

Ghetto load your own. Pull the bullet and powder from a round of ball ammo. Drop powder charge back into the case and top with a 150 grain softpoint. Done.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 AM.