CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   CMP South Store (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   South Store Report 11/14/2019 (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=254868)

PH68 11-14-2019 10:43 AM

South Store Report 11/14/2019

There were 8 customers at opening and the racks were full. Only saw one stock cartouche, SA JLG.

Reminder: South Store will be closed next week for the Talladega 600 Match, TMP store will be open.

Armors today are Bobby, Colby and Hunter.

CMP Specials, 3/ FG 1/ RG 4/ WRA RG 4.

1903, 14, two nice Mark I’s (1 sold) and a USMC SA (sold) overall very nice rifles, mostly Remingtons.

WRA SG 14 w/mostly CMP stocks, FG 8. Six with WRA barrels and one WIN13 with SA barrel. Also an early WRA 1017xx...

IHC SG 6/ FG 2, most CMP stocks/ FG 2. One op rod was marked with the last three numbers of the serial number in yellow grease pencil which is an indicator of a USMC rebuild, saw no other indicators. Beautiful rifle, someone will get a gem..

SA SG 1/ FG 13.

HRA FG 2.

Store still have very nice AFH bayonets available.

Good luck on your searches.

tzachary 11-14-2019 10:57 AM

Driving down on Saturday, would love to be able to snag a USMC 1903.

kalski 11-14-2019 12:16 PM

Be there in two weeks myself. Hopefully I can snag a finger groove or "C" stock '03, and of course another Garand!

PH68 11-14-2019 03:57 PM

Thursday closing report

There were 64 rifles at closing and there was a 15 rifle restock during the day.

CMP FG/RG 8

1903, 17

WRA SG 2/ FG 6

IHC SG 4/ FG 2

SA FG 23

Daisy Air Rifles, 2.

kbailey3 11-14-2019 06:54 PM

Thank you for the reports. I have some vacation in December and I'm trying to decide if I want to drive to the south store to handpick or just take luck-of-the-drawn mail order. It looks like service grades are mostly CMP wood, and field grades are mixed. Is that correct?

PH68 11-14-2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbailey3 (Post 1885575)
Thank you for the reports. I have some vacation in December and I'm trying to decide if I want to drive to the south store to handpick or just take luck-of-the-drawn mail order. It looks like service grades are mostly CMP wood, and field grades are mixed. Is that correct?

You are correct, M1 SGs are currently mostly CMP stocks and FGs are mostly USGI issue or replacement USGI stocks...

PH68 11-15-2019 10:55 AM

Friday opening report

There were 8 customers at opening and the racks were full. Few faint cartouches.

Armors today are Bobby and Hunter

1903a3, ONE, sold....

1903, 15, one USMC rifle which is still available.

SA FG 19, few with WWII barrels. There was an SA-52 present..

WRA SG 2/ FG 9. One WIN13, no WRA barrel and a WRA w/WRA barrel.

IHC SG 10/ FG 4.

CMP Specials 2/ FG WRA 2/ RG WRA 3/ SA RG 3

Jackknife 11-15-2019 03:32 PM

Hi Tom,

Thank you for helping me find a Remington 1903. I had a wonderful experience visiting the South Store for the first time. Such wonderful people.

Cheers,
Bob

AFJon 11-15-2019 03:47 PM

Tom,

Thanks again for helping me decide between the 1903s.

Jon

PH68 11-15-2019 04:24 PM

Friday Closing Report

The racks at closing were full and there was several restocks today for a total of 25 rifles.

CMP Specials/ FG/ RG, 8.

1903, 17.

WRA SG 2/ FG 6.

IHC SG 4/ FG 2.

SA SG zero/ FG 23.

rob30-06 11-15-2019 06:26 PM

Been a while, it seems

OK, it seems like it has been several months since I have been to the store so I think I will head down in the morning.
I got deer meat in the freezer so the pressure there is a bit less, and I still got Sunday to hunt so I think it is time to end the dry spell:GS:
Maybe I will find something I can't live without.

Rob

JustinandKim 11-15-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob30-06 (Post 1885843)
OK, it seems like it has been several months since I have been to the store so I think I will head down in the morning.
I got deer meat in the freezer so the pressure there is a bit less, and I still got Sunday to hunt so I think it is time to end the dry spell:GS:
Maybe I will find something I can't live without.

Rob

Hopefully you can write down some the S/N's of the rifles in the statute. I know there are several Winchesters in the duplicate range and 1 Springfield Armory in the range. I know of 3 International Harvester's. Hopefully it will fill some spots on the lists.

Have a good time a the store!

Federalis 11-15-2019 09:50 PM

So dumb question here (and I think I know the answer), but if I make the trip to the CMP south store I should have a shot at getting my 1903 Springfield? I guess even though theyre not available on the website, they have some in the store?

And what is the price range of these rifles? Thx... TW

PH68 11-15-2019 10:03 PM

1903s

Quote:

Originally Posted by Federalis (Post 1885926)
So dumb question here (and I think I know the answer), but if I make the trip to the CMP south store I should have a shot at getting my 1903 Springfield? I guess even though they’re not available on the website, they have some in the store?

There has been a steady inventory of 1903’s in the store for a couple of months BUT that could change at anytime, so if you make the trip there is no guarantee. I would recommend you check the Thursday inventory before making a trip. If there here on Thursday most likely there will be here on Friday and Saturday. Good luck.

Price is 650.00, with “C” stock 750.00 plus 10% tax

Federalis 11-15-2019 10:25 PM

Got it, that sounds positive... thanks for the info, TW

BobJ50 11-15-2019 10:39 PM

My son and I were at the store on opening. We were hoping to get M1903's with grooved stocks and pre-war [WWII] barrels. No luck this trip for us. Overall some decent rifles and a nice surprise with the M1903A3 [only one!]. I thought it looked good-but already have 2 so it has a new home with one of the guys from way up North.
Met Tom and cannot write how much all of us appreciate his Morning/Evening Reports.
We've not given up and "Shall Return."

PH68 11-16-2019 10:17 AM

Saturday opening report

There were 10 customers at opening and the racks were full.. many other customers shortly after opening.

Just a reminder the South Store will be closed next week but TMP range store will be open...

Armors today are Bobby, Haisten and Hunter.

1903, 18

SA SG 15/ FG 13 to include a Dec 41 receiver and barrel. A REALLY nice WRA GHD stock, one of the best I’ve seen in the store.... Also there were two nice SA GAW cartouche stocks and there were TWO nice SA-52’s.

CMP Specials/FG/RG, 10

IHC SG 9/ FG 4, one nice IHC stock, lots of LMR barrels.

WRA SG 1, WIN13 with WRA barrel/FG 5, no WRA barrels or cartouches.

Restocked at 9:00 with 20 rifles.

1903, 4

SA FG 10

HRA FG 3.

Chopper10 11-16-2019 11:04 AM

Looks like a great morning to have been there. I would love to get my hands on wra/ghd stock!

PH68 11-16-2019 04:00 PM

Saturday closing report

Just a reminder the store will be closed the next two weeks, Talladega 600 and then for Thanksgiving. I will be on a cruise during the 4-7 December opening so no report.... but I will checking like others to see whats in the store...

This has been the busiest day I have seen in the store since its relocation to their current location. There were three major restocks today and at closing it was pretty slim pickings....

CMP FG/RG, 6

1903, 13, were restocked twice..

SA SA 3/ FG 4

IHC SG 6/ FG 4

WRA SG 1/ FG 4

HRA SG 2

rob30-06 11-16-2019 05:54 PM

Well guys, I made a spur of the moment decision last night to make the trip down to the store. It had been waaaay to long since I had been down. The weather was calling for a bit of wind Saturday morning so did not feel time spent in a tree stand would be better than a trip to the CMP South Store.
It turned out to be an eventful trip. When I pulled in there was already a couple guys I know from my area there to pass the time with.
It appeared most guys were looking for 1903s which is fine by me. I already have my quantity one so not looking for one of those.
I was the guy that ended up with the really nice WRA GHD stock. After the morning rush slowed down after about 30 minutes I started at the beginning of the rack on the left side to see what was left. I had already found an SA-52 and had it behind the counter. My looking was basically done casually cause I only had one rifle left in my yearly quota.
Imagine my shock when the third rifle I picked up had the WRA stock. How does it look you ask? Nothing better than a few pictures to describe it:

It was on a Service Grade SA 1.9 mil
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/4tkWLdv.jpg?1[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/3y7hV79.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/O01NAm6.jpg[/IMG]

The stock has a number of small dings but does not look like it was actually used very much. The machined wood edges are still all very sharp and well-defined.
Needless to say this rifle went behind the counter and the SA-52 came back out.
There was a fellow, Paul, from either North or South Carolina that was looking for something neat so I gave him the SA-52. In fact, he was there to buy his yearly allotment of 8 rifles so I started helping him find Field Grades that had something going for them.
He ended up with two! SA-52 Springfields. yep, there was a 2nd one in the rack. He also got both of the GAW stocks. They were decent stocks for Field Grades. He also had at least on WWII SA with an original barrel (SA 2.12 if I recall).

I did see something else that I thought was worth mentioning. There was another IHC that had an original HRA/IHC stock on it. If I had another rifle on my allotment it would have went home with me.
The stock profile an unmistakable HRA with a generous back porch. The DAS is the high arc that INC used and the proof looks like IHC as well.
Now that I know what to look for on these I will probably start seeing them everywhere:rolleyes:

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/CxO8hOh.jpg?1[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/WyZPZV3.jpg?1[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/OiKTfCH.jpg[/IMG]

I inlcuded a photo of the receiver heel in case there is one of you out there that might make the trip to get it. I believe it was on a Service Grade IHC that had a good selection of IHC parts, but was not completely IHC.

I also found another IHC that had an outstanding 1954 dated IHC stock. Man I hate purchase limits:(. I handed it off to another customer who was looking for something neat. I think that met the description.
The rifle had a decent number of IHC parts including the op-rod and gas cylinder.

Lots more went on but I am exhausted and cannot wait to make the trip down again.

Rob

Chopper10 11-16-2019 06:01 PM

Nice score Rob. I can’t wait to make the trip again soon and hopefully will find a gem like you did.

JustinandKim 11-16-2019 06:44 PM

Lucky guy Rob!

Rob you are lucky guy!

Just curious if you wrote down any of the SN of the statute?

Plantnut 11-16-2019 07:46 PM

Rob - that is a really nice clear cartouche, good find.

I would have liked to have gone today but I'm at my yearly limit. It would have been like standing outside a bakery while on a diet. :>)

Jeff

JustinandKim 11-16-2019 08:35 PM

Just seen on Talladega Marksmanship Park facebook page it has 1917's in stock.

mattawan 11-17-2019 08:23 AM

Rob, that is a great looking GHD stock!

MustangMan 11-17-2019 10:41 AM

Wow Rob -- you picked up a nice rifle. You definitely had a hard choice to make; couldn't have gone wrong with either rifle, IMHO.

Ronwall 11-17-2019 10:48 AM

Rob, did you notice whether either SA-52 had filled in M1C holes?

rob30-06 11-17-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronwall (Post 1886408)
Rob, did you notice whether either SA-52 had filled in M1C holes?

Neither receiver had previously been an M1C. They generally do not like to put those in the store cause they do so well at auction.
I was frankly surprised to the the regular receiver SA-52s as it was.

Rob

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinandKim (Post 1886254)
Rob you are lucky guy!

Just curious if you wrote down any of the SN of the statute?

Justin,
yes, I would say very lucky since lots of other customers had a chance to get it before I found it. I have a restored Win13 that is needing that stock to finish it off.

I looked at the M1 Man statue and saw several interesting serial numbers including the early IHC SN 4448734 Postage Stamp.
I will dig in a little more each trip since that will give me something to do while waiting to get in on my trips down.

Rob

dawgmanvt 11-17-2019 11:10 PM

Rob, I got a great Winchester stock on a mail order SA field grade and I put it on my WRA service grade that came with CMP wood. I was very excited when I opened that box and saw the beautiful walnut GHD.
I got to the south store for the first time in August and picked up a worn field grade SA that was unremarkable except for the beautiful deep red brown walnut wood stock with a sharply struck DAS cartouche. I took that home and put it on my 5.9 SA, and a well worn GAW went on the field grade SA I had in the parts stash.
Great score on the awesome GHD! I am glad you had fun!

Hunter Mag 11-18-2019 12:59 PM

Where did all the 1903s come from all of a sudden? The philipines?

Jakeroub 11-18-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter Mag (Post 1886759)

VFW organizations.

AFJon 11-18-2019 01:58 PM

At least 2 when I was there Friday were wearing VFW post tags.

rob30-06 11-18-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter Mag (Post 1886759)

I think they have been accumulating for quite a while. Mr John Beard used to be the only person working them and then only one day a month if I recall.
Now they have added another armorer who works them every day.
I just hope they last long enough that another one can be purchased next year.

Rob

CTJ2013 11-18-2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PH68 (Post 1886058)

SA SG 15/ FG 13 to include a Dec 41 receiver and barrel. A REALLY nice WRA GHD stock, one of the best Ive seen in the store.... Also there were two nice SA GAW cartouche stocks and there were TWO nice SA-52s.

I'm guessing someone must have snatched up that 12-41 pretty quickly. Any idea what the serial was? Mine is 403XXX so I always like to see what's out there from the same batch.

PH68 11-18-2019 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTJ2013 (Post 1886826)
I'm guessing someone must have snatched up that 12-41 pretty quickly. Any idea what the serial was? Mine is 403XXX so I always like to see what's out there from the same batch.

Actually I picked it up and passed it to a gentleman that was trying to find a WWII rifle with original barrel.... he had picked up one that was a poor example of what he was looking for. I would have enjoyed it but I have a lot more opportunities to find these gems than others do so I enjoyed passing it to him and he was very excited...

Gentlegiant70 11-18-2019 08:05 PM

First time posting and in two weeks I will have my first visit to the South Store. Sorry to read that Tom, (PH68), will not be there on the 5th Dec. Was looking forward to meeting the author of those great reports each week. And tapping some of his knowledge. Hopefully there will be others who can help me find a great M1, and 1903 if still available.

tzachary 11-18-2019 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PH68 (Post 1886828)
Actually I picked it up and passed it to a gentleman that was trying to find a WWII rifle with original barrel.... he had picked up one that was a poor example of what he was looking for. I would have enjoyed it but I have a lot more opportunities to find these gems than others do so I enjoyed passing it to him and he was very excited...

Pete was elated that you were able to help him get such a nice rifle. I don't think he is signed up to post on here, but he says "thanks again".

AFJon 11-19-2019 12:12 PM

Mine arrived this morning.

https://i.imgur.com/grkWG5ll.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/v4n08nFl.jpg

rob30-06 11-19-2019 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFJon (Post 1887010)

That was a really pretty rifle for sure.
I take it you did not get the HRA you were looking at and it might even still be at the store?
Rob

Craftsman 11-19-2019 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFJon (Post 1887010)

That's a beauty for sure, congratulations!

That C stock alone is worth $400+, and will certainly make it an excellent and comfortable shooter.
What vintage is it, a pre or postwar C?