CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Ammunition (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Atomic .308 Ammo -- Please read! (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=233021)

rcolarco 07-30-2016 03:39 PM

Once-fired military brass should not split. For that matter, many-times-fired military brass should not split. There is almost nothing you can do to military brass to make it split at the head consistently except load it very, very hot. Pull a few bullets and weigh some powder charges. You may be unpleasantly surprised.

I would not shoot this stuff at all without replacing the powder charges.

rcolarco 07-31-2016 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippysrifle (Post 1498557)
I've got a can of it. After reading these comments, I'm going shoot it in a bolt gun. I bought it to try in my 308 M1. Not anymore. Just don't need the grief.

A head split will wreck a bolt gun as thoroughly as it will wreck a gas gun.

Major 07-31-2016 04:07 PM

I have three boxes of atomic 308 Match ammo.
It is labeled as Nosler Custom Competion 168 gr HPBT.

So 300 rounds of this stuff.

No lot number ... Is this the same ammo that you are reporting as bad

Has there been any recall on this ammo?

You guys are freaking me out. I do not want to have a desaster.

Maj

gtodan 07-31-2016 07:13 PM

I am curious why no recall?

Moorem1s 07-31-2016 09:40 PM

Case in question was stamped LC09. My coach was a retired Marine Gunny. She immediately came over after I fired and asked what the hell happened? It was definetely loaded hot and she agreed. My atomic ammo is mixed lake city as well as other makers. Like I said, I'm tearing mine down and reloading. I have fired many rounds of this with no problems. I had an incident last year at the m1a match where debris came back in my face after firing. It got my attention. I thought maybe a blown primer at the time. Looking back, it was another overcharged case.

rcolarco 08-01-2016 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtodan (Post 1499353)
I am curious why no recall?

You would have to ask Atomic. I would speculate a recall would put them out of business, which has happened before to small makers. After all, their FAQ does say their ammunition will accelerate wear on your firearm. A blowup is just "accelerated wear." You have been warned.

gtodan 08-01-2016 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcolarco (Post 1499722)
You would have to ask Atomic. I would speculate a recall would put them out of business, which has happened before to small makers. After all, their FAQ does say their ammunition will accelerate wear on your firearm. A blowup is just "accelerated wear." You have been warned.

Mebbe I will take a big, healthy crap in the box and send it all back. Let them sort it out.

RickRandR 08-17-2016 03:19 PM

atomic 308

Got a couple cans when the CMP first started selling them
Reloads supposedly once fire brass
Shot some ok
Had some with over pressure problems blown primers
And blew a couple of mag bottoms out
I still have a can and reluctant to shot in my M1A
What should I do about it?
200 rounds afraid to shoot

OSU1986 08-17-2016 03:40 PM

There is a older post from a few weeks ago you need to check it out.I cannot go back at this time to find it sorry.We had a head split that was real bad.

RickRandR 08-17-2016 03:52 PM

atomic 308

OSU
Thanks
Did a search saw a lot
Even saw my original post 1-24-15
I think I'm gonna call the CMP again about it
Maybe they were too busy to respond before now that the' re outta rifles they may have more time to deal with it