CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   M1 Carbine (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   M1 Carbine sling and oiler too tight for installation (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=216242)

AdamF 09-12-2017 10:03 PM

M1 Carbine sling and oiler too tight for installation
 
I did some research and I'm still stumped. I have an M1 Carbine with a USGI stock (appears to be of the potbelly variety). I have a USGI oiler and USGI sling with what I think are D tabs.

I've watched every sling installation video and I still can't get it on there. The well where the oiler sits is too small for the oiler and two pieces of strap that needs to pass through. I first thread the sling from left to right, then drop in the oiler (even at this point it's tight), and then bring the sling around the oiler and can't get it to pass back through the stock from right to left. I've also tried looping the sling around the oiler first and then pushing everything into place with no luck there either.

I don't want to start sanding down parts of the stock. Any advice?

Thanks.

AFJon 09-12-2017 10:47 PM

have you watched this one? Best video I've seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVMx8g0pWFA

GotSnlB28 09-13-2017 07:33 AM

They can be a bear to get in. If all else fails you may have to lightly hammer the tips to flatten them further. After doing that I have always been able to get them in. Should be no need to modify the stock.

AdamF 09-13-2017 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFJon (Post 1638658)
have you watched this one? Best video I've seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVMx8g0pWFA

Yes, that's the first one I watched. Following it exactly but it just doesn't fit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotSnlB28 (Post 1638702)
They can be a bear to get in. If all else fails you may have to lightly hammer the tips to flatten them further. After doing that I have always been able to get them in. Should be no need to modify the stock.

I'll give that a try, thanks.

fmfpacdoc 09-13-2017 09:58 AM

PM sent

AdamF 09-13-2017 10:12 PM

Got it installed. Hammered the D ring lightly, pushed it through as much as possible by hand, and then tapped it through with a screw driver. Thanks!

milwaukeeshaker 09-14-2017 08:15 AM

Except he puts the sling in the slingwell the wrong way. When it is installed correctly the end that passes around the oiler and then through the buckle is on the top of the buckle not the bottom. The end goes through from left to right when holding the left side of the stock facing you.
Quote:

Originally Posted by AFJon (Post 1638658)
have you watched this one? Best video I've seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVMx8g0pWFA


A Seabee 09-14-2017 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milwaukeeshaker (Post 1638955)
Except he puts the sling in the slingwell the wrong way. When it is installed correctly the end that passes around the oiler and then through the buckle is on the top of the buckle not the bottom. The end goes through from left to right when holding the left side of the stock facing you.

So this is the right way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6uac3S1t4s

wd4ngb 09-15-2017 08:27 AM

Yes, just put the loop in the rear of sling with the buckle correctly positioned with the tip facing out, slip the loop through the stock, insert the oilier with the cap up, and pull the sling to get the oilier and sling into the stock.

milwaukeeshaker 09-15-2017 10:48 AM

That's it.


Quote:

Originally Posted by A Seabee (Post 1639205)



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 PM.